Where to buy prepackaged foods for lap band or what to shop at the grocery store?

Victorrod
on 10/23/13 11:32 pm

Where do you buy foods that help you lose weight and at the same time give satiety for lap band?

something that requires no cooking or little preparation food from grocery stores on $200 / month maximum?

Kate -True Brit
on 10/23/13 11:58 pm - UK

Not in the US so can't suggest specifics. But prepared foods tend to be on the soft side and can easily be sliders and so not stop hunger.  Much more filling to just pan fry or grill something like chicken breast, dense fish etc and serve with not over-cooked veggies like carrots. 

I have tried  Weigh****cher type ready meals but they do tend to slide down too easily! Hardly need to chew. In the UK we are taught to go for crunch, so we have lots of things like raw, grated carrot etc.  Oddly, things like beefburgers, ( as long as they are good quality and not macdonald style slush) can be very filling. And if grilled and eaten with veggie like an ordinary piece of meat, one is not too high calorie. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

vlp1968
on 10/24/13 4:37 am

Have you met with a dietician?  They are usually part of the team that takes care of you in the process of living with a band.  I focus on lean meat and veggies.  Chicken, fish, pork loin, 90% ground beef, if you like all white meat ground turkey that's a great one, I don't eat it because I just don't like it.  I eat frozen fish by Creations.  They are flavored pieces of fish that you just bake in the oven.  I also like chicken sausage- just heat it up in the microwave.  Protein bars and shakes are good for quick meals, bars are great when your on the go.

I snack mostly on berries, cheese and nuts.  I eat greek yougurt with fiber one for breakfast, and sometimes on after dinner.  The fiber helps me stay regular lol.

Hope this helps!  Congrats on your surgery!

coconutatthebeach
on 10/24/13 7:12 am, edited 10/28/13 11:17 am

I concentrate on filling up with protein foods first ...... Pollock fish cost 3.49 for a package of 6 fillets where I shop and it's only 0.5 grams of fat per serving......... Bags of raw shrimp can last for a while...... poached eggs for breakfast with salt and pepper .......... during the day I'll take a bite of cream cheese now and then......... for snacks I'll have canned fruit packed in its own juice, rinsed off - pineapple slices, peaches, pears ...... etc, etc, etc. ..... brainstorm and you'll come up with things........... good luck........... 

Mell
on 10/25/13 12:45 am

Trader Joes, I love them not sure if you have them in your area. But they have a whole lot of salad varieties that are really cheap. I also go to costco, pick up the huge box of organic salad mix, rotisserie chicken. I make different chicken salads and package them for the week for lunch. Then I shred the rest for quiche, or veggie soup.

Make sure you weigh how much you are putting in each meal so you get the correct calorie count. 

You an also make chicken salad and eat it on lettuce or with celery.

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

crystal M.
on 10/25/13 1:11 pm - Joliet, IL

I'm not sure why you are asking.  Is it because this is for lunch.  Is it because you don't like to cook or don't have time to cook.  Because I had those reasons myself.  I can name at least a dozen meals I can create with no effort at all...

one example-  in a crockpot put a package of chicken breasts and a jar of salsa....set on low for 8 hours

come home warm a can of veggies of your choice...and a couple low carb tortillas....bingo you have a meal. 

No effort at all and much more filling and healthier than a frozen meal.  Frozen meals are full of sodium...all of them, even the so called healthy ones. 

Most Active