Some people who lose 40-60% excess weight can still end up obese class 1 after 60% EWL?

Victorrod
on 10/20/13 10:23 pm

How can people get to their ideal weight, if the lap band averages 50-60% excess weight loss in 2-3 years with exercise? All I read on the internet about results from lap band, realistic results say 50-60% of EWL is good. Won't that mean that most people will still be overweight/ obese?

Thanks in advance

Bette B.
on 10/21/13 1:43 am

Hell, dude! With ANY surgery - from band the DS - some people can end up losing far, far less than 100% of their excess weight. The idea is not to reach "ideal", but to reach a healthier life.

As for me, at almost ten years out, I'm maintaining a loss of 83% of my excess weight with the band, but now that I'm going to gym all the time, a lot of that "excess" weight is muscle instead of fat. And a lot of that "excess" weight is loose skin.

And more importantly, even though I'm not at "ideal" weight, all of my comorbidities are gone. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/13 3:04 am, edited 10/21/13 3:41 am - UK

To some extent you can lose as much or as little as you want. An average is usually a mean average; that is they take a number of people, add their weight loss and divide by the number of people. So pretty meaningless! If you got 10 people losing around 100% excess and 10 people losing around 10%,  the average % loss would be around 55% but no-one would have lost anything anywhere near that.  If the figures say "most people" that s very different!

i lost 100% excess weight (about 109lbs) in about 15 months.  Haven't worked out where I am now but my BMI is around  27 according to my doc last week.  I am very happy with that. 

This applies to any surgery although some give more help than others.

annie0039
on 10/21/13 4:27 am

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!! others and I have debated this questions Immensely..

It's  NOT.... the weight loss with a band that most should be concerned, It's the  LONGEVITY that is a concern.

It began as a "lifetime' product NOW they say  it's "long term" and Neither are true. Especially IF you need it removed and the Doctor tells you that your GOING TO GAIN YOUR WEIGHT BACK!!

Warnings: The LAP-BAND® System is a long-term implant. Explant and replacement surgery may be required. Patients who become pregnant or severely ill, or *****quire more extensive nutrition may require deflation of their bands. Anti-inflammatory agents, such as aspirin, should be used with caution and may contribute to an increased risk of band erosion. THIS IS RIGHT FROM ALLERGAN'S OWN website.

SO now the question is to Define Long term? Do you consider 5 yrs long term? If so then I guess you'd be happy with a band. 

Personally If I was going to have a Surgery I don't want to have to do it every 5 yrs and then pray I don't regain.

no weight loss surgery is going to ever resolve the issue of obesity... BUT what I tell most ppl looking for answers is DO RESEARCH!! What Surgery type is going to Best suit your needs. If your willing to undergo having surgery to Fix. repair, all the complications that occur with a band then again yeah ok have a band, Others will state that at least it's not permanent. Well Of course that is True BUT..For allot the Damage that a band causes IS PERM. So why not look into something that has  proven results and longer lasting weight loss like RNY? And YES I know you can still regain with RNY or Sleeve or DS. But I bet in 5 yrs they won't need to go in and FIX anything enlightened

Just like what was stated the EWL is based on # of ppl involved, just like any of the studies that they print, it all just depends on how they want to sway the #'s.

pineview01
on 10/21/13 1:59 pm - Davison, MI

My center called me a success with 40% EWL.  There goal for me was 215 and obese!  They were so happy when I weighed in at 205 and still obese.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active