Almost 5 years out and hating the band

Karen H.
on 10/20/13 7:15 am - Celina, OH

I had the lap band almost 5 years ago. I absolutely hate having it. The fills don't work too well and I'm throwing up a lot more and having belly aches more. Nothing seems to satisfy me to much, so I overeat and then hate myself for it later. Is it common to have the band removed and do something else instead?

pineview01
on 10/20/13 9:08 am - Davison, MI

Yes, it is very common to be at this point.  At 3-5 years many banders start having problems that lead them to have there bands removed.  I was banded a few months after you and had it removed 9/4/12.  I was sleeved 1/22/13.  There are a couple groups you might want to check out and also the revision forums.  If you read thru this forum you will find many in your shoes.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 10/20/13 10:09 am - Vancouver, WA

As Piney said it is very common, unfortunately. What concerns me is that you are throwing up more, that is not a good sign and along with the stomach pain I would advise you see your surgeon to make sure you haven't slipped. Also you should probably consider having a bit of an unfill till your stomach settles down. Either you are too tight or are re-irritating your stomach by eating regular food again too soon after a vomiting episode.

When you vomit you should do liquids for at least 24 hrs., then slowly advance to regular food again over the next few days. This gives your stomach a chance to settle down. Also sounds like you may be an emotional eater and the band isn't going to help with that so you may need to see about dealing with that too.

I'm 6 yrs. out and have been empty for the last 2 yrs because mine kept tightening without a fill (scar tissue builds up under the band over time, this may also be one of your problems). I've actually done better since then and am slowly losing because I can eat healthy foods again. So please start by seeing your surgeon and getting the band assessed and then decide where to go from there. Do be aware not all insurance companies will do revisions, that is something else you will need to find out. Good luck to you and know you are far from alone!

Melanie C.
on 10/20/13 1:02 pm

December will be 5 years since I was banded and I also hate it! I have been having the same problems you are having. My doctor suggested having it removed and having gastric bypass. I am in the process of doing exactly that! I hope it all works out for you!

Vicky_S
on 10/22/13 3:56 am - MA

I was banded in Sept 08 lost 60 lbs and have regained 50 because I get stuck, can't eat healthy foods, throw up then get frustrated and go to easy to eat slider foods.  I've been in and out of my surgeon's office over the past year and a half getting adjustment fills, unfills, and having revision discussions.  If I had it to do over again, I would have fought for the RNY but my surgeon at the time (different than surgeon I am seeing today) steered me toward a lapband because I had a previous blood clot and he was afraid of recurrence.  Since then I've had several other surgeries (non bariatric) and no blood clots.  But hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?  My primary care physician says he is very disappointed in the weight loss achieved by his patients who have received the band.  Five years ago he too was excited about it, but I think statics have started to show that the lapband isn't the panacea we all thought it would be.

At this point in time, we have submitted the paperwork to insurance for a revision to RNY.  Keeping my fingers crossed they'll do a 2nd surgery.

Christina M.
on 10/24/13 11:48 am
I am 3 and a half years from my band. I've loved it, lost 230lbs and feel great generally. Recently I've started to have similar problems to this post. I have not had a fill since 7 months after surgery, and 4 unfills since, the last a couple months ago. I've started to have reflux, increased vomiting, and discomfort eating often. I'm starting back to liquids, trying to drink plenty of water, which usually helps me, and am planning a trip to a surgeon. Have to see a new one since I've relocated to Atlanta from Maryland. Hopefully its not a slip, and I'm going to ask for a complete unfill.

If anyone has any other information/advice I'dappreciate it.

pineview01
on 10/25/13 12:14 pm, edited 10/25/13 12:15 pm - Davison, MI

You all need to check out the failed band group!  You can read of others with the same issue and get lots of info.  See links in above post.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active