Nervous about taking the plunge...

NerdyWaffles
on 10/16/13 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Well for starters, I haven't had surgery yet, but I've strongly considered getting the Lap-Band procedure done and I'd like to get some input from post-op forum members.

I'm curently at 270 (my highest ever), and I stand 5'5" at 23 years of age. I've been overweight a large portion of my life, and frankly, I'm sick and tired of yo-yo diets, disappointing results, and feeling like a failure.

If anyone has tips, pointers, do's and don'ts, or anything else they'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Mia

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/16/13 3:37 pm

The best advice would be to look into the sleeve. Good luck to you.

pineview01
on 10/16/13 4:22 pm - Davison, MI

I would check out all your WLS options.  Read on the Revision boards.  Figure out you own issues and find the one best for you. 

The band is considered the safest surgery with the fastest recover and is restrictive only.  It has the slowest and less weight loss.  It is high maintenance after surgery.  It requires additional surgery and is only considered temporary.

The sleeve is considered the safest long term and has results close to RNY long term and is restrictive only

The RNY is restrictive and uses Mal-absorption of calories but, this also causes Mal-absorption of nutrients to which last a lifetime even after the body learns to reabsorb the calories.

The DS is restrictive and uses Mal-absorption.  It has the best long term of maintaining weight lost but, also has the highest problems of maintaining proper nutritional needs.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/16/13 6:39 pm, edited 10/16/13 6:39 pm - UK

Pineview has given you a fair and unbiased summary. Just to add, examine your eating habits carefully. Different surgeries require slghtly different lifestyle changes and you need to know what will work for you. I am not going to tell you what life with other surgeries is like because I only know my own, the band, firsthand. 

The band, when working as it should, gives the least help of all the surgeries, this suits people like me. I could always lose weight, I could never maintain loss. I didn't want something which controlled my life, I wanted just a push in right direction. It works best for those whose problem is enormous meals. It doesn't work as well for grazers. It does not stop you making bad food choices but then, no surgery does that! Even bypass which can make it impossible to eat sugary things doesn't have that effect on everyone! 

all surgeries carry risks, so make sure before taking that risk that you have made the right choice for you. The band was right for me. I have had mine for almost 7 1/2 years and been in size 10 clothes for 6 years (highest ever weight was 290+). My weight now does fluctuate but it is just loose size 10 through to very tight size 10. 

just to add one other thing to Pineview, it often requires further surgery, I myself had a leak repaired, but not always. I am personally acquainted with people who are further out from surgery than I am and have not had any further ops. But I do agree that it is wisest to assume you may have to do so. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NanaB .
on 10/16/13 7:32 pm, edited 10/16/13 7:53 pm

Mia,

Do follow your surgeons post op diet plan, and learn what the green zone is and proper restriction and keep up with your fills and after care.

I love my band!!

Good luck and congrats on your surgery date.

Nic M
on 10/17/13 2:09 am

What part of the Lap Band is appealing to you? The "reversible" part? It's not true. It can be removed, but the damage it caused won't be reversed. And the band causes a lot of damage. 

It's also not meant to last a lifetime, so if the thought of subsequent surgeries bothers you, don't go with the band. 

Most Active