Band removal question

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 4:24 am
 OH snap?
What happened when it kept getting tighter?
Could you not eat or drink?
Nic M
on 7/6/12 10:35 am
Yeah, I couldn't eat anything solid while banded. I lived on protein shakes, ice cream and soup. And even those sometimes came back out my nose.
It was pretty fun, lemme tell ya.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Stephanie M.
on 7/6/12 2:54 am
 My band has been empty for almost 4 weeks and my symptoms (pain, vomiting and lump in my throat) are all still present.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

mommyslittlemonster
on 7/6/12 4:15 am - Stanwood, WA
I do have fluid in my band but it's not much. I get restriction sometimes still but I learned to cheat through restriction a long time ago. I have no doubt that it keeps me from overreating sometimes. But I don't have the habits I used to have. I am super active now and have changed the way I think about my body. I just want what comes next to be all about how I am handling life without the band, not because of my weight loss surgery.

I guess I feel like if it's not giving me grief now I could just keep in there. But I'd love to get rid of it before something does happen and I'm somewhere without good access to a surgeon who understands the band. I'm not talking about going in for surgery just to have it removed, it would be when I'm getting a body lift or a hernia repaired- both of which I need.
110 pounds down and still going!

Dev *.
on 7/6/12 5:00 am - Austin, TX
Sometimes it can be quite surprising how much difference a small amount of fluid makes. Why not start first by giving yourself a test period with it totally unfilled and see how you do?

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Sabina B.
on 7/6/12 9:39 pm, edited 7/6/12 9:40 pm - MD
Nic, it sounds like you've had a really hard time -- so sorry. :( I hope none of the damage was permanent? I haven't read your whole story...what did you do after you had the band removed? Are you ok now?

Pumpkin, your story scares me. I've read that erosion is extremely rare. Are you ok now? I'm not terribly worried about scar tissue personally. I've had two c-sections and a number of surgeries on my hand (bad accident when I was a child), and I seem to scar pretty well. My poor mother, on the other hand, grows scar tissue like it's a cash crop -- she had a hystorectomy in her late 40s and the scar tissue from that grew until it caused an intestinal occlusion. Emergency surgery -- she almost died!

Stephanie, I can't believe they can't figure out what's wrong with you! Have they done an ultrasound? Cat scan? I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I know I'm just a baby bander but so far so good. I just hope it stays that way!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

NanaB.
on 7/6/12 11:21 pm
 Hello...I agree with some of the others, why would you get the band removed if you are not having any type of issues severe heartburn, vomiting or reflux.

When I get my band totally unfilled it's just like I have no band at all, I can eat normally with no signs of restriction. I NEED a fill right now, I THOUGHT I could keep my weight down with little help from my band, but as soon a trigger hits, like stress, hormonal issues, etc...the weight comes back and I can't control my weight WITHOUT the help of my band. 

My long term plans with my band is live with little to no saline when I get older, since I will probably not need that much restriction as I age and I will need more nutrients, I am hoping to keep my band forever, but if something happens where I have to get it removed before I get older, then I will be back to weigh****chers.

I am 7 years post op and if I did NOT have an  ADJUSTABLE restrictive surgery I would be doomed.

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Most Active