Band removal question

mommyslittlemonster
on 7/5/12 2:59 pm - Stanwood, WA
 Does anyone know how difficult band removal is? I've been considering it for a year or so. I don't need it out I just don't feel like I need it in anymore. 
110 pounds down and still going!

MARIA F.
on 7/5/12 3:04 pm - Athens, GA

That depends on how much damage your band has done internally. Unfortunately................there is no way of telling that untill they get in. Sometimes it's an easy out. Other times..........not so much. Band removals can be a very lengthy surgery if there is a lot of scar tissue, adhesion, necrotic tissue, if it has adhered to the liver, etc. The sooner it comes out the less time it has to cause further damage though. Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

AMichelle
on 7/5/12 4:06 pm
I've had mine replaced because it slipped. So not entirely removed. The surgery, whether replacement or removal, is similar to the band placement surgery, minus the placement of the port (which was the most painful incision for me). I assume surgery to have the band removed wouldn't require the same post-op diet, but the recovery would be similar.

I'm not necessarily using my band at this point, because I've managed to adjust my eating habits (for the most part). I had my band emptied about two years ago. I decided to get a fill 6 months ago. Wouldn't you know it, my port has a leak! I'm convinced it was caused by too many crunches, but my surgeon doesn't seem to think so. I've chosen not to go through having surgery to have the port replaced. I'm not sure if having restriction and thus, consuming less calories would help. I had my RMR tested, and it is really low. There's only so little calories one can consume. Exercise seems to be the only way to get my metabolism moving. So right now, I'm really working on increasing the frequency and intensity of my exercise to work on those last 20 pounds-- which seem to be the hardest!

melly37
on 7/6/12 1:13 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Unless there is a health related reason, insurance will not cover the cost of removal.  As Maria stated, there can be complications that we aren't aware of until the surgeon is inside.  I know of several people that found out their band as adhering to their liver, etc.

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Stephanie M.
on 7/6/12 1:21 am
 Why not discuss this with your surgeon, Dr Oh? 

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 1:32 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On July 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM Pacific Time, mommyslittlemonster wrote:
 Does anyone know how difficult band removal is? I've been considering it for a year or so. I don't need it out I just don't feel like I need it in anymore. 
My band was not reversible....it was removable, but not until it had already caused severe nerve and thoracic pain which just may end up being permanent damage. All of my tests showed a
" perfectly placed band " until they opened me up and found it had eroded...those tests were only 24 hours old.

Dev *.
on 7/6/12 1:39 am - Austin, TX
Is it empty and you're not actually using it? Or do you have a fill, but you feel like you are managing just fine and not really relying on it?
Even though you may not feel like you "need" it anymore, the stats on regain after removal or reversal of any WLS are pretty abysmal.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Sabina B.
on 7/6/12 1:58 am - MD
 If the band is completely empty, isn't it pretty much like not having the band at all?  If it's not bothering you, why go through the pain, expense, and risk of another surgery?  Unless it's causing some problem, I would leave well enough alone.  Of course I'm very new at this...am I being naive?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 2:10 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On July 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM Pacific Time, Sabina B. wrote:
 If the band is completely empty, isn't it pretty much like not having the band at all?  If it's not bothering you, why go through the pain, expense, and risk of another surgery?  Unless it's causing some problem, I would leave well enough alone.  Of course I'm very new at this...am I being naive?
Even if the band is empty, it's not like it hangs loosely around your stomach. Every time your stomach churns to digest the food you have just consumed , your hard plastic band is rubbing against the soft tissue of your stomach, and if you have built up any scar tissue ( which we all do ) that scar tissue is further pushing that unfilled hard plastic band into the soft tissues of your churning stomach.
Nic M
on 7/6/12 3:23 am
Hi Sabina,

For some people this is true, but my own experience was that I never actually was able to have fluid in my band... and it still kept me from eating solid foods at all. I had a horrible surgeon who probably did more damage than I even know about. (at least he didn't do a gender reassignment on me... or steal my kidneys!) 

For some reason, my body simply would not tolerate fluid in my band at all.  The band just kept getting tighter and tighter with each passing month. It was crazy!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active