No more Metformin!!! editted to add pictures

Jo 1962
on 2/3/12 7:18 am, edited 2/4/12 1:05 pm - NearHouston, TX
Some of you know my story already but for those who don't know, I got banded in August 2010 and I am happy to report that I still made the right choice for me.  I started out wearing 22/24 and almost 270 lbs.  I think I peaked at 279....or should I say FREAKED at seeing that number.  I tried every diet but nothing worked....  

It was almost ten years ago that I got hurt in a headon collision while traveling for my job and spent 16 months off work .  I now believe that my fat saved my life because I lost so much blood in the wreck. A smaller person would likely have died.  I actually did code but I hung on and recovered after learning to walk again with an artificial knee and mostly mended hip.   

So, a few years later after I got back on my feet, my DH  was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. Fortunately, it was discovered early enough that he is now cancer free.  Because we maxed out on out on our out of pocket medical expenses that year, I was able to get WLS covered at minimal cost to me.   Having already endured over 20+ surgeries related to my accident, I just didn't want cut anything else....   I lost 40 lbs in the first 6 months or so and it has slowed down since then but it is still going down. I have had 4 fills and 1 slight unfill in May 2011 to give me about 5.75ml in my band. Any tighter, I can't swallow my pain meds.    I would lose more if I worked out regularly.  Meh.  I want to but...so much to do, so much to do.   I figure I would already be in Onederland by now if I did but I guess I am just not in a freaking hurry.   I am loving the way my body feels and even the way it looks as the pounds slowly slowly drop off.  There are very few foods that I can't eat at least a few bites of.  I don't each too much bread unless it is toasted and reheated chicken is never advisable for me.  I still eat pizza but just a slice or two.  I still have icecream but just 1 bowl, once in a while.   I usually eat my proteins first , then veggies then carbs/bread if I am still hungry.          My NSV?     I had my 3 month checkup with my endocrinologist.   I was 216 three months ago (on THEIR scale) and today  it showed 206.   I had lost about 12 lbs on the prior visit.  So....I guess you could say I am losing almost 1 lb every week.  She is very happy with my progress.     My blood sugar, bloood pressure, cholesterol and thyroid all are normal.  I am officially no longer on Metformin!!Q   So, 2 years ago,I was diabetic, my DH was in chemo, my DS moved BACK home, my DD was threatening to run away and my marriage was already shaky before all this came down.   What a difference 2 years makes.  Hubby is cancer free and working as a critical care paramedic, my daughter is getting married to a wonderful young man, my son just got promoted to supervisor & moving into his own efficiency apartment.... and best of all, my hubby and I have never been happier with each other.      

Before:

currently:

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

coachgrrl
on 2/3/12 9:16 am
 Awesome news all the way around 

Congrats to you...on all of it!

Jo 1962
on 2/4/12 1:06 pm - NearHouston, TX
thank you!!

last small unfill.

debbie H.
on 2/3/12 10:47 am, edited 2/2/12 10:47 pm - AR
Wow! This could be a movie with a happy ending, or at least a novel. Yea for you AND your family!

Jo 1962
on 2/4/12 1:07 pm - NearHouston, TX
thanks Deb.  LOL  Dunno if its a movie I would want to watch.....

last small unfill.

wbell
on 2/3/12 11:52 pm
This could be a Lifetime movie of the week!! You have endured so much, yet come out on top. Praise the Lord!!

I want to be off Metformin just like you!!! That is one of my big goals. I hate the idea that I let myself get into this physical condition. I also want off my BP meds. I especially want to throw away this CPAP machine.

How does one go from being so healthy and stong in high school and college and turning into mush later in life????? Don't answer that....I know the answer. It's called neglecting my body and putting everything else and everybody else in my life in first place and putting myself in last place.

2012 is the year of ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear from you very soon when you hit Onederland!!!
Wynell
Jo 1962
on 2/4/12 1:09 pm - NearHouston, TX
Thank you so much, Wynnell and oh yeah...thanks for reminding me:  I have been off the cpap machine since 6 months after I got banded. 

last small unfill.

wbell
on 2/4/12 9:38 pm
This is a stupid question, so you can charge me more.....how did you realize or know that you could stop using your machine? I have had mine almost three years now and have never been back to the doctor. I use it every night. I live alone, so if I take it off and there is no one hear to "hear" me snoring or gasping for air, I won't know.

Duh, guess it's time to get back to the sleep doctor!
Jo 1962
on 2/5/12 1:53 am - NearHouston, TX
 Not a stupid question! In fact, a very important one.  And you answered your own question :).  The only safe way to stop using the c-pap machine is by your doctor's orders because sleep apnea can certainly kill you.

last small unfill.

MARIA F.
on 2/4/12 9:41 am - Athens, GA

Omg! You've been through so much! So glad things are going better for you and your family now!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active