Looking for anyone who's had Lap-Band who has NC/Medicaid

michellerene618
on 1/16/12 2:33 am - Garner, NC
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum...A girlfriend had gastric bypass, and I am just starting the process to get lap-band surgery done.  I have been waiting 3 years for this!!!  NC Access/Medicaid just started paying for this again as of Jan. 1st.  I have been discussing this with doctor's for over 3 years now, as I gained 150 pound from thyroid cancer. I know crazy, huh?  Has anyone any experience with NC medicaid?  Also would like friends for support!!!  Please message me, I'd love to meet you, and get all the info I can!!! 
 Blessings,
Michelle Cox
Garner, NC
Hislady
on 1/16/12 10:06 am - Vancouver, WA
Before you go ahead and get a band be sure this insurance will cover the follow up care of fills and unfills for the next several years. If not you will have a useless piece of plastic in you. There is an awful lot of followup care for the band.
Colleen S.
on 1/16/12 10:10 am - Mechanicsburg, PA

Hi Michelle,

Welcome,  I don't know anything about Medicaid, but wanted to say Hi! and good luck with your journey.  Is your decision completely made for lap band?   I have hypothyriodism and it has been quite difficult for me to be successful with the band.   Although, I am afraid of all the other surgeries so I haven't completely given up yet.  And its not the bands fault, I have restriction, dont eat much, but still do not lose any weight.  I have not excercised, so I did just join the gym, and I hope I can stick to that now to see if that will make a difference.

Colleen

MARIA F.
on 1/16/12 1:25 pm, edited 1/16/12 1:25 pm - Athens, GA

Since it's a metabolic issue, I would think u would need a WLS with malabsorbtion like RNY or DS.

Also I wouls suggest you go to the NC forum and post the same thing. You will prob. have more responses from local WLS'ers.

FormerlyFluffy.com

michellerene618
on 1/17/12 12:06 am - Garner, NC
 How do I find the NC FORUM?
 Blessings,
Michelle Cox
Garner, NC
michellerene618
on 1/18/12 1:39 am - Garner, NC
 I have the 16 page document that states it will pay for lap-band, because gastric bypass is out of the question for me.

Blessings,
Michelle Cox
Garner, NC
TamaraL
on 1/17/12 11:27 am
michelle,

I don't think that medicaid will pay for the lap band.  I think it will only pay for the bypass.

Tamara

michellerene618
on 1/18/12 1:45 am - Garner, NC
 It will, I have the document that was just revised on Jan, 1st 2012

Blessings,
Michelle Cox
Garner, NC
tmcmillianwalker
on 1/18/12 8:32 am - Mount Airy, NC
HI, I live in NC also and have the same update from the nc medicaid site.  I have contacted Duke Medical.  They are still in depate over payment for the surgery.  Other physicians I have called either don't take it OR they haven't received anything yet from medicaid yet with the "go ahead".  One doctor sugesseted that I call my medicaid worker.  I haven't yet have done this but will be working on this next step. I don't understand how they can publish the revision and the doctors not know about it.  I am missing something here.  Please stay in touch.  If I hear of any news I will let you know.

Tammy
michellerene618
on 1/18/12 10:16 pm - Garner, NC
 I contacted UNC, they already have my application, I just have to have the 6 months of di=ocumentation, which I am working on at the moment.  I too have tried to contact a worker, but I always get a recording!  If I hadn't been looking specifically for the document on the medicaid site I would have never found it.  I printed the document to have a copy of it.  UNC didn't seem to have an issue, just need the documentation!  Let me know what you find out!
 Blessings,
Michelle Cox
Garner, NC
Most Active