An Open Letter to Lauran D and Jenny Lew...

Jo 1962
on 8/30/11 11:57 pm - NearHouston, TX
Thanks Kath :) 

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Jean M.
on 8/31/11 2:02 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Jolena,

I would much rather hear a bandster say triumphantly, "I've lost 52 pounds in a year, I'm doing great!" than hear one say, "I've only lost 52 pounds in a year. What's wrong with me?"

Never in my long life of dieting was able to lose 52 pounds in just one year!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Jo 1962
on 8/31/11 2:15 am - NearHouston, TX
Of course, you are so right Jean.  And makes me think of one of my favorite daily affirmations:   when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at...change.

I just needed to be reminded. 

last small unfill.

Jean M.
on 8/31/11 2:59 am
Revision on 08/16/12
when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at...change.

I love that!

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

steelerfan1
on 8/31/11 2:37 am
Jean,

You are very right and I think many of us forget that once we get this surgery done .  I am one of them and will raise my hand up and admit that out loud.

I got to obsessed with numbers trying to please my doctor, my friends, my family especially and because of my obsession I got frustrated and started to go down the wrong road again .

These last few days of posts like Jolena's and Laurans really helped me mentally more then they will ever know :o)

Its not all about how much we have lost in a yr its all about our health getting better and our self esteem that is what is the most important :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jean M.
on 8/31/11 3:05 am
Revision on 08/16/12
WLS success happens over a lifetime, not just one or two or three years. It involves changes in habits (behavior, beliefs, thoughts) that we've had for decades, so they're not going to change overnight. We're so used to looking for signs of success in numbers (especially on the scale) but signs of success can be found in so many places we never even thought to look before. And just the fact that you can be honest about what you've been going through, and can raise up your hand and say it out loud, is a big sign of success.

Jean

dianeg49
on 9/1/11 9:53 am
This was a very enlightening post. I will raise my hand to being one of the "I've only lost..." No more now I am going to proudly state I;ve lost 48lbs in this year and hope to keep it up!
Thanks for the wake up call.
Dianeg49            
Jo 1962
on 8/31/11 11:01 am, edited 8/31/11 11:13 am - NearHouston, TX
I love the uplifting path this post has taken! I had no idea that just gritting my teeth and giving in to writing an update would generate a thread as encouraging as this thread has been.

I I took an hour off early from work and picked up my DH to go with me to the local Target to get some Spanx. It seems that just having 1 wears it out too fast LOL...so i have 5 now HAHA. I love these things..I get the high waist mid thigh shaper for 23$ though sometime I'm lucky enough to get them on sale. (I was NOT wearing one in the picture I posted.. :-/ )  THEN on an impulse, I asked the DH to drop me off at the nail salon that was recently totally remodeled. The windows were now covered up so it was darker and cooler inside with eastern guitar music playing in the background. There were brand new massage chairs that I got to cycle through three times. aaaahhhhhhhhhh. I asked them if I could just come in once a week and sit in their chairs. LOL Anyways,  I haven't gotten my nails done for ages and just wanted to feel pretty :)  Lordy..I'm having to learn how to type all over again.  Heres the color I picked.  (OMIGOD...the little gal who did my pedicure gave the most incredible massage from the knees to the toes)  Here's the color I chose :

Oh BTW, Jean, the credit to that affirmation belongs to Dr.Wayne Dyer. i.e. "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." I love what you posted and always click on your posts. My copy of your book is quite dog-eared now :)

Thanks again everyone for being so warm and supportive. I'm feeling on top of the world.

last small unfill.

jennylew
on 9/1/11 6:50 am - Hill AFB, UT
Jolena!
    You are awesome! We need to embrace the fact that we've lost our weight. I used to compare myself to others, but you know what, we are all different. We need to stand tall and be proud that we took a stand to do something for our health and for our families. I don't care what others think of me for getting weight loss surgery. This is the healthiest I have been in my entire life and if they don't like it, too bad! You look fantastic by the way~

Jen-

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
Jo 1962
on 9/1/11 7:16 am - NearHouston, TX
Hi Jen- Glad you saw the post! You have done SO well and your happiness shines through your  photos. You are SO right..we are all so different and that means losing weight at different rates.  The plateaus just tend to trigger doubt and fear of yet another diet failure. Now,  thats an F word I'm crossing out of my vocabulary ....

Thanks  Jen..Right back at ya

last small unfill.

Most Active