An Open Letter to Lauran D and Jenny Lew...

Jo 1962
on 8/30/11 8:57 am, edited 8/31/11 7:23 pm - NearHouston, TX
I just wanted to say thanks to you both for posting your journeys. i just posted a couple of days ago on my 1 yr "bandi-versary" having ALSO lost 52 pounds and I was feeling
reluctant to post because I didn't feel successful enough. Maybe its because of all the failed diets, its easy to be quick to assume this band will fail too.

And I think many things just need a change of perspective to appreciate the goodness of it all. My perspective has certainly shifted in the past couple of days as I truly realize how far I have come, how wonderful it is the KEEP OFF what I've lost already, that I'm liking who I see in photos lately...and that the scale just tells a small part of the story. Today I am comfortably wearing my new peach denim Lee Capris..size 16 and I can scratch ANYWHERE I may itch ...oh the little things.

I am rambling and I apoligize to any teachers out there for my grammar.
Mainly I just really wanted to say thanks to Jenny and Lauran for sharing. I feel so much better about *my* success now. Congrats to you both!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

debbie H.
on 8/30/11 10:12 am - AR
Great pic, Jolena.  I am also a slow loser, and most of the time am OK with it.  But when I see some of the phenominal numbers some lose, I'm excited for them, but feel a lack of success about my loss.  I am also in a size 16 comortably, but am shooting for a size 10 or 12 more than a weight number.  As you said, sometimes I expect failure, and I hate that I let that thought creep in.  But I no longer RUN from the camera or HATE my mirror reflection.  I know my strengths and weaknesses, and so far the band has been a great help to get me this far.

Jo 1962
on 8/30/11 11:32 pm - NearHouston, TX
Thanks Debbie :)  I'm shooting for the same size (10)...the only other number I think I will get excited about will be when I see 199 and below on that scale!

last small unfill.

steelerfan1
on 8/30/11 10:41 am
Jolena,

I was just thinking about you last night , that I haven't seen you posting on here. I didn't see your one yr band anniversary post or I would have responded to it :o)

You should never feel reluctant to post on here no matter if you just lost 10 pounds or your 52 pounds :o) .

You took 52 pounds off your body and no telling how many inches off your body that is something to be very proud of

It dont matter how long it takes you to get the weight off your body . Every pound you take off your body you are much more healthier and get more self confidence in yourself.

There are times I feel pressure that I should have lost more , or I should be at a 100 pounds at my one yr because I had WLS done . 

Reading Laurans post today made me stop and think that if I dont lose another pound by the time my anniversary comes along I will still be happy with myself and its time to take the pressure off myself that I have to lose so much weight a month or I have to be at this number by the end of the month .

It's enough stress trying to eat right and exercise we dont need more stress on us saying we have to be at this certain number every month or at our lap band anniversary.

I am very proud of you and you keep up the great work and the positive attitude. Your attitude through all this will get you very far my friend

(((hugs to you )))

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jo 1962
on 8/30/11 11:49 pm - NearHouston, TX
Jolena,

I was just thinking about you last night , that I haven't seen you posting on here. I didn't see your one yr band anniversary post or I would have responded to it :o) Thanks Girl! yeah I havent been on much but I log on here almost every day.

You should never feel reluctant to post on here no matter if you just lost 10 pounds or your 52 pounds :o) .   True but I felt bad because it's BEEN 52 lbs since last MARCH. Ok .heh ..I finally accept that this is just my body taking its sweet time because my clothes have definitely gotten looser during this same time period.

You took 52 pounds off your body and no telling how many inches off your body that is something to be very proud of    Thanks you are right.

It dont matter how long it takes you to get the weight off your body . Every pound you take off your body you are much more healthier and get more self confidence in yourself. I give-I give ;)

There are times I feel pressure that I should have lost more , or I should be at a 100 pounds at my one yr because I had WLS done .  For sure...I had the same expecations.

Reading Laurans post today made me stop and think that if I dont lose another pound by the time my anniversary comes along I will still be happy with myself and its time to take the pressure off myself that I have to lose so much weight a month or I have to be at this number by the end of the month .   Me too...I loved her post!  And my DH said to me recently that HE didnt care if i lost anymore cuz he's very turned on by my slimmer figure...and just said last night that I didnt need to lose anymore in my butt..cuz it was perfect now. WHAT?? WOOHOO. No ones ever described that part of me before as attractive...much less perfect!
It's enough stress trying to eat right and exercise we dont need more stress on us saying we have to be at this certain number every month or at our lap band anniversary.
The battery died in my scale so I got out of the habit of weighing every day. I'm adopting Lauran's approach and only weighing on the days that I *feel* skinny! Wonderful idea.

I am very proud of you and you keep up the great work and the positive attitude. Your attitude through all this will get you very far my friend  I can say the same right back to you. You have made this journey of mine and ours much more enriched..and hope you continue to do so as we march into year two of this trip.

Hugs right back!

last small unfill.

Lauran D.
on 8/30/11 12:22 pm - Apex, NC
Jolena, your open letter was beyond sweet and it brought happy tears to my eyes.  52LBS IS PHENOMENAL!!!  Oddly enough, I've been reluctant to post for the same reasons as you!  I was looking for big number decreases on the scale, and felt crappy when the numbers didn't budge.  That on top of falling off my eating plan sometimes made me feel even worse.  Then one day, I decided to change the rules. 

1.  Skinny Days = Weigh Days - Now, I only weigh myself on days when I feel pretty or feel like I look fabulous in my outfit.  I didn't want to become a slave to the scale, and on those weeks when I wasn't losing and didn't feel like I looked too hot, getting on the scale would only make me feel worse, which in turn would cause me to fall back into old patterns of emotional eating.  Now, on days when I feel fabulous, I hop on the scale and even if I'm only down a measly 1lb, it makes me feel even better! 

2.  Happy Meals - Well...they kind of make me happy   When I'm in a fast food mood, but don't want to ruin my eating for the day, I get a 4 piece nugget Happy Meal.  I used to get a large #11 (the Filet-O Fish meal) with EXTRA tartar sauce and that gianormous 32oz sweet tea.  Eating a 1/4 of the food I used to eat and feeling satisfied makes me smile...guess that's why they call them Happy Meals.  

3.  "Dressing" the Part - Before I ballooned to 335lbs, wearing dresses used to kind of be my "thing".  They were very flattering on my figure, and I used to wear them everyday.  After I gained so much weight, my waist line disappeared and I started wearing big jeans and t-shirts.  Once I started losing after the surgery, I promised myself to wear at least one dress a week.  Now at 52lbs down, I wear my dresses 2 or 3 times a week and I feel AMAZING...and feminine...and pretty

Knowing that my journey partly inspired you to post about your journey really makes me smile!  52lbs is a huge deal, and if it wasn't then folks would have no problem dropping 50+lbs on their own, without the help of wls.  So please flaunt it Jolena!  You've lost the equivalent of a 3rd grader!!!  Class dismissed!!!    High five!!

steelerfan1
on 8/30/11 1:07 pm
Skinny Days = Weigh Days .

Lauran, I really really love this idea !! I completely understand what you are saying if the scales dont move you feel worse and then you start the emotional eating. I'm so there !!!

That has been my downfall the last 6 weeks.I worked hard at eating right, going to Zumba three days a week which is a advanced class and I struggle through and wasn't losing.  What did I do ? I threw up my hands and said screw it and turned to eating unhealthy foods again *sigh*.

And in turn I put on 8 pounds which I think a good chunk of it is water , but still its 8 pounds and then that got me even more upset even though deep down I was the one to blame for the weight gain .

I'm going to go with your idea Skinny Days = Weigh Days.  I really like that idea and that will help me stay off the scales  some . I know I  need to stay off for a good two weeks to undo the damage I have done the last several weeks.

I hope you will start posting more often I have truly enjoyed your postings today and from what the others have said today they have to 

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jo 1962
on 8/30/11 11:55 pm - NearHouston, TX
Oh Lauran, thank you for such GREAT ideas!   I've been kinda doing that I think because I hate letting the scale determine what kind of day im gonna have.    I've totally FORGOT about getting happy meals. This time I will save the damn toys for Ebay instead of throwing them away.  How wealthy I coulda been of what was thrown out. LOL

I wear alot of dresses already...I love that they dont fit like TENTS anymore.

Oh you ladies have helped me find my mojo back. I feel so good this week!

^5 back at ya Lauran

last small unfill.

Lauran D.
on 8/30/11 12:25 pm - Apex, NC
AND how encouraging is it to know that we've created a circle of inspiration!?!  Steelerfan's journey inspired me to post today, and our journey's inspired you to post!  Way to go ladies!!! 
kathkeb
on 8/30/11 12:49 pm
Congratulations to all of you!

I have been travellling -- and so not online as much --- and think I missed some of the posts.

1 pound a week or 5 pounds a week ---- we are all on the same journey.

congratulations on your loss -- on improving your health, on achieving your goals ---

Great pic!!!!
Kath

Most Active