Lap Band over your bypass

noeldawn
on 4/19/11 6:15 am - Mayberry, NC
Hi all, I'm just wondering if there are any people on here who have had a lap band placed over their gastric bypass. If so, what has your experience been like? Has it helped? Would you do it again? I had my RNY in August 2007. I never met my goal but was satisfied with my 65 lb loss (goal was 100 lbs). Anyway, I have gained back about 20 pounds. I seem to be hungry all the time, even as soon as an hour after eating. I find myself grazing a lot. I also heard that the constant hunger could be a sign of an ulcer. I don't know... I do have an appointment to see my surgeon next week.
Thanks in advance for any input, replies or suggestions!

~Noel
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 6:51 am - San Diego, CA
Yes, I have a band-over-bypass (BOB) which was done in 5/09.  My original RNY (gastric bypass) was in 2001 and I weighed 259.  I lost down to 145, maintained for nearly 8 years, then gained back up to 189.  That is when I made the decision to have the BOB revision surgery.  I lost down to my goal weight of 150 quickly, surpassed it to my current weight of 123, and have maintained at this weight for 15 months now.  BEST thing I ever did was give myself another chance to be successful.  My experience has been nothing short of wonderful with my BOB thus far.  Good luck...I know and understand the frustration of weight gain.
noeldawn
on 4/19/11 10:59 pm - Mayberry, NC
Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on your success! I was 250 the day of my RNY and lost down to 185. I was just so happy being in a size 14 especially since I used to be a 20/22. I became complacent I guess you could say and then slowly bad habits started creeping back in and now I'm dealing with the 20 lb regain and constant hunger. I hope that I too will give myself another chance to succeed. I also need to overcome the feeling of failure and being afraid that I will fail with the band also. And, I know I shouldn't but I do worry about what other people will think, especially my family....I know I need to get over that!
Thank you again for sharing your experience and I wish you continued success!
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 3:56 am - San Diego, CA
Anytime!  Please know that I am here for you should you need advice, guidance, support, or whatever else during this process! :)
tthomps3
on 4/20/11 1:15 am, edited 4/20/11 1:21 am
I have a BOB (band over bypass). BOB and I have a wonderful relationship. I had RNY in 2001. My starting weight was 322. I lost 130 pounds but never reached goal. I kept the weight off 8 years and then started gaining. After a fifty pound gain I decided that it was time to take control of my life once again. I had BOB put in 12/26/2009. I am currently 163-165 and wearing size 10 and some 8's . I am loving life. I have not had any complications other than a thin wallet due to the shopping binges. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. HUGS!

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 3:54 am - San Diego, CA
Hi fellow Bob'er friend...why don't I know you?  We are few and far between on OH. LOL :)
tthomps3
on 4/20/11 11:43 pm

Hi Lisa...you do not know me because this was my very first post. I have been a fan of OH since 2001. I love to get on and check out the site, but I never post. I feel like I do not have much to say or offer. But....I have changed my mind! I have been around long enough to feel comfortable giving my opinion. This whole process has changed my life in so many ways. I am one BIG...make that AVERAGE... happy girl.

noeldawn
on 4/20/11 6:06 am - Mayberry, NC
Thank you both for sharing! I am wondering a few things....is this done laproscopically like my RNY was? I had 5 small incisions with it. Also, what was the down time? How soon could I go back to work? I took about 3 weeks off with the RNY. I'm also wondering if my insurance will cover this....I have BCBS. How soon after your band placement did you see weight loss? Does it help you to not feel hungry? I remember not being hungry for about six months after my RNY.
Sorry for so many questions. I'm sure my surgeon can answer them when I see him next week.
tthomps3
on 4/21/11 12:07 am
Noeldawn,
My BOB was done laproscopically with 5 small incisions. I have a very high tolerance for pain and feel like I could have gone back to work within 3-4 days....but I took off for two weeks. My main reason for taking off was to give myself time to adjust and to learn to eat the right way. I have to admit that I was hungry during the first week and not very pleasant to be around. The second week I added soup to my diet and thought I had gone to Heaven. I had immediate weight loss.The weightloss was not as fast as the RNY but I have been pleased. I was hungry for the first week but after that I did not get hungry for about three months. I fixed that with a small fill. I have Humana Insurance and they covered it. Due to my results I would absolutely recommend this procedure. A second chance for me :) YIPPEE!

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 6:09 am - San Diego, CA
Answers:  My surgery originally started as a lap procedure, but due to major excess scar tissue from the RNY, he converted to an open procedure in order to remove that tissue and perform the BOB.  As such, my downtime was longer than expected - about 2 and a half weeks.  I did not have insurance so I am a self-pay.  I saw weight loss immediately and made it to goal in 4 months, surpassed that goal by 29 pounds and have maintained that loss with my BOB for 15 months.  I never feel hunger because I weigh everything and eat 5-6 times per day to keep my metabolism up.  Hope this answers your questions! :)
Most Active