Positive Lap Band Stories & Success-Post Here

Heather S.
on 3/23/11 10:39 am
All,

Have another month until Lap Band Surgery and I'd like for anyone to share their positive experiences with me.  I fully understand the risks to this surgery and had lap rny surgery in 2004 but slowly began to regain.

I'm open minded but please do not share with me your horror stories because I can read some of them openly in the forum, I understand that the results of this surgery are as individual as wel all are so results will vary.  Are you continually losing weight?  How do you stay motivated?  How does your family, friends feel about your success?  Looking for some postive feedback.

Stories much appreciated.
Thank You,

Heather

D. Scott
on 3/23/11 11:06 am
RNY with
I have never been a fast loser but I think that has a lot to do with hormonal and isulin resistance issues related to PCOS. However in my first  year I lost 71lbs going from a size 20 to a size 10. I feel like a success and I LOVE my band but it has been a lot of work (well worth it). It has been a process that requires constant focus. Meaning even if you dont choose to track calories, or exercise (which I hear some can pull off) you have to remember to chew well, and eat slowly. You may also be one of many who will pretty much be giving up breads and pastas (or eating them only in tiny bites). I have mostly had them gone for 2 years until a recent complete unfill and I can't say that I feel all that bummed about it now that I have been able to eat some of them again, it just becomes a lifestyle change. Because you have already been through RNY I won't tell you to research it closely as you probably just need renewed restriction at this point and lap band will probably be perfect for that.  Best of luck!! I am going to paste my blog post of my one year bandiversary (though I am currently 2 years post op).

The weight loss lap-band has helped me to achieve has made such an amazing difference not just in my health and appearance but in other ways like these:

- I started in a size 20/ 2X and am now a 10/ Medium
- I can exercise without wanting to drop to the floor panting after a mere 10 minutes.
- I can wrap a normal sized towel completely around me.
- I am not embarrassed to be seen in pictures and no longer have to try to hide behind my kids.
- I can cough, sneeze, and exercise with out tinkling
- I no longer have to shop in the big girls department and am too small (gasp) to wear clothes from Lane Bryant
- I am in a far better mood all around.
- My hair has stopped falling out at a rediculous pace from my PCOS related symptoms.
- My periods have returned to normal after 10 years of extreme abnormalities including troubles conceiving and miscarriage.
- I cook and eat far healthier than I did 1 year ago and am far more aware of what is going into my body.
- My feet are smaller (narrower)
- I have gone down one or two ring sizes
- I lost 50 inches all over!

I have no doubt there is more, but I can truly say I have no regrets and couldn't be happier with my decision to have the Lap Band surgery.

Here are my before and after images

Before

1 year out

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

debbie H.
on 3/23/11 11:35 am - AR
WOW!  You must be so proud.  You are an inspiration to me(lap band 1-14-11).  One of my goals is to be a size 10.  You look awesome!

Bette B.
on 3/23/11 11:28 am

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

debbie H.
on 3/23/11 11:37 am - AR
WOW!   What a great pictorial story you present!  Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Miyakosmith
on 5/20/15 9:21 pm - CHICAGO, IL

10 years WOW!! I have been banded for 6 months and lost 60lbs in the first 19 weeks. It's good to hear long term success.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 11:53 am, edited 3/23/11 11:57 am
I have had nothing but a positive experience with my band. These are some of the things I do to stay motivated. I keep track of everything I eat every day, good or bad. Several times a month I have a day or two where I eat everything I am not supposed to. For some reason or another this helps me keep on track the rest of the time. Whenever I go out to eat, not that often, I eat whatever I want and always have a dessert. I think after 5 years at a lower weight, my body has finally decided that it doesn't want to gain weight like it used to. I exercise as little as possible. However the first several years I was really strict about everything. Now that I feel that I won't put on weight like before the surgery I have eased up a little. I never take this band for granted. I had to change my whole lifestyle and attitude about food to stay a size 6. Oh, I also want to mention I was in no hurry to lose the weight fast and got the smallest fills possible. So I did lose the weight slowly about 6-8 lbs per month. It varies 5 lbs up and down. It is easy to lose the weight we all have done it hundreds of times. It is maintaining it that is the final goal. No one, not even my family knows I had the surgery. Good luck to you.
Lin_2
on 3/30/11 2:57 am
Loved your post, but I wondered how you manage to not let your family know that you had surgery? I have told my biological family, but not my in-laws, specifically the MIL. She ALWAYS has some kind of biting and negative comments to make, "properly bred people don't ....". You'd think she was well off or something, but she's NOT!! Anyway, any tips for when people see you eating DRASTICALLY less at first and say something? especially those who want you to eat more? I absolutely know that she will take it as a personal affront if I don't pile the food on my plate. When I've tried to eat less in the past, she's said, "I guess my food was not to your taste." and hystrianics follow. I'm not going to change myself to avoid her dramatics, but I'm afraid I'll say what's truly on my mind and it will hurt my husband. He has a right to his feelings, but I certainly don't want to hurt him, he's a great guy, who doesn't realize how mean and hurtful his mother can be.
Thanks for any thougts.

coachgrrl
on 3/23/11 11:58 am
 I'm not quite 14 mos out but consider myself a success.  I have lost 84 lbs in that time.  I no longer have any comorbidities (GERD, Hypertension, joint pain and plantar fasciitis ...all gone!)  I now fit into a reg sz 14/16, can walk 4/5 miles without any issues and feel great.  I'd like to lose another 20 lbs and think I should be able to do that in the next year.  The loss has slowed, but I'll get there.

My band is like a seat belt, it tells me when I've had enough.  I know I can't listen to my brain.  My family, friends and co-workers have been amazingly supportive.  I can eat almost everything except bread, rice and pasta ( ok I can eat small bits but not alot, so mostly I just don't even go there)

Dev *.
on 3/23/11 12:14 pm - Austin, TX
 You can see my 5 years post on page 2!

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Most Active