Have you had problems with the band?

pam57
on 3/16/11 9:53 am - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
I am so sorry for you and your sister.  You have had such a horrible last year.  As has been posted by many people, it is very important for people to hear what kind of complications can happen with the band.  I was banded about 3 months ago and so far, knock on wood, no problems.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing and thank you again for sharing your story.

Pam

kim1967
on 3/16/11 10:46 am
Lawanda
I am so sorry you and your sister had to go through all of this!
I had the band in 2004. i lost almost 80lbs, but was still overweight. i started out around 325 i think.
within a few months of surgery my band just tightned up on me to the point that i could not keep water down. it would shoot right back out of me, ice cold.
went to the er. had my FIRST unfill. I was NEVER able to get back to that same fill level. everytime they would put some in, within 2 days i had to go have some taken out. this went on for awhile, sorry cant remember the time frame.
finally i just had them take half of the saline out. and i started doing weigh****chers again(I had done fairly well on it a few years before that) but this time, even with the band as a backup. i failed miserably.
i was so angry with myself. How could i fail with weight loss surgery?!?!?!?
well thankfully a very special person who has connections in the Bariatric world told us of a procedure that was new to most of us here in Ky. The DS(Duodenal Switch).
On the day of my consulation in April 2009 I weighted 401. I was mortified.
I had my DS July 15th 2009. Right now I stay right around 184. i still need to lose a little more and im sure plastics will be in my future.
I dont believe in forcing my surgery on anyone, but I am beyond thankful to Cathi for letting us know of this surgery...you saved my life.
If you have any questions please feel free to private message me(as I dont normally come on this board, but someone saw your thread and posted it on the DS board)
If you get a chance come on over to the DS board and lurk around.
Many have very strong opinions and can get a little tough/rough at times. but this is a serious operation that DOES require a lifetime of many vitamins/supplements, but let me tell you im sitting here with my legs crossed and i NEVER was able to cross my legs! I love my DS....
Good luck and I hope you find whatever works for you!
Kim
abandster
on 3/16/11 10:38 pm
Thank you so much, Kim, for this post.  I have a very dear friend who has the DS and she LOVES it.  Unfortunately, they don't do that particular WLS here in Florida and since she was self pay, she had to go to Mexico to have it done but has had absolutely no problems.  I'm so proud of her and so jealous.....she has REALLY dropped the weight.

And I know about the plastics in the future (gosh, what an apron I have) and about the vitamins and supplements with the DS and also being able to cross your legs.  Can't wait to do that again.

So, thank you again so much, Kim.  You are an inspiration.  Keep up the good work and you be blessed.

LaWanda
MARIA F.
on 3/17/11 4:16 am - Athens, GA
On March 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, kim1967 wrote:
Lawanda
I am so sorry you and your sister had to go through all of this!
I had the band in 2004. i lost almost 80lbs, but was still overweight. i started out around 325 i think.
within a few months of surgery my band just tightned up on me to the point that i could not keep water down. it would shoot right back out of me, ice cold.
went to the er. had my FIRST unfill. I was NEVER able to get back to that same fill level. everytime they would put some in, within 2 days i had to go have some taken out. this went on for awhile, sorry cant remember the time frame.
finally i just had them take half of the saline out. and i started doing weigh****chers again(I had done fairly well on it a few years before that) but this time, even with the band as a backup. i failed miserably.
i was so angry with myself. How could i fail with weight loss surgery?!?!?!?
well thankfully a very special person who has connections in the Bariatric world told us of a procedure that was new to most of us here in Ky. The DS(Duodenal Switch).
On the day of my consulation in April 2009 I weighted 401. I was mortified.
I had my DS July 15th 2009. Right now I stay right around 184. i still need to lose a little more and im sure plastics will be in my future.
I dont believe in forcing my surgery on anyone, but I am beyond thankful to Cathi for letting us know of this surgery...you saved my life.
If you have any questions please feel free to private message me(as I dont normally come on this board, but someone saw your thread and posted it on the DS board)
If you get a chance come on over to the DS board and lurk around.
Many have very strong opinions and can get a little tough/rough at times. but this is a serious operation that DOES require a lifetime of many vitamins/supplements, but let me tell you im sitting here with my legs crossed and i NEVER was able to cross my legs! I love my DS....
Good luck and I hope you find whatever works for you!
Kim

~i was so angry with myself. How could i fail with weight loss surgery?!?!?!?~

Kim so sorry you had such a bad band experience! But YOU did not fail, the BAND failed!!! Very glad u were able to revise though!

FormerlyFluffy.com

prettypixels
on 3/16/11 1:13 pm
 I am so sorry for your dreadful experience with the band.  I too hate my crap-band.  I swear I remember your face from years ago, too!  I gave up on posting about it because I was always told everything was my fault.  It's only been recently that more and more of us are popping up out of the woodwork getting revisions and talking about the reality of life with a band.  (Which, for me, was eons of being "stuck", during which time the rest of my stomach would be so so hungry, and tons of throwing up.  Assuming I had restriction.)  I hate this thing and cannot wait to get it out.  I think anyone researching the band would do better to choose a different surgery, for real.  
MARIA F.
on 3/16/11 6:32 pm - Athens, GA
On March 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM Pacific Time, prettypixels wrote:
 I am so sorry for your dreadful experience with the band.  I too hate my crap-band.  I swear I remember your face from years ago, too!  I gave up on posting about it because I was always told everything was my fault.  It's only been recently that more and more of us are popping up out of the woodwork getting revisions and talking about the reality of life with a band.  (Which, for me, was eons of being "stuck", during which time the rest of my stomach would be so so hungry, and tons of throwing up.  Assuming I had restriction.)  I hate this thing and cannot wait to get it out.  I think anyone researching the band would do better to choose a different surgery, for real.  

I know exactly how u feel! I don't know how many time on the band forum I have been accused of it being MY fault! And can you beleive how one of the ladies attacked the OP on here?! Kind of typical isn't it! So much for "support"!

FormerlyFluffy.com

debbiejean58
on 3/16/11 10:42 pm - Antioch, TN
I remember you being on the website, I am so sorry you and your sister are having so many problems. Like everyone else it does sound like an issue with the doctor. My ex-husband has a baclofin pump and the pump has came through the skin two times and the tubing has been kinked one time so things like this can happen but I know it is very annoying and frustrating. Hopefully things will get better.

As for me I have not had any problems with my band which I am so grateful for.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/11 6:10 am - Des Moines, IA
Gosh LaWanda, I'm so sorry about all the bad things that have happened to you.  That is awful.  I wish you better days ahead on your journey to get healthier.

I have had no problems with my band and I'm very happy with the help it gives me.

Kristi
Lynn C
on 3/17/11 12:28 pm
HI Lawanda,

I remember you, you were banded shortly after me. I got a couple of good years out of my band but as recent studies show - late complications are higher then originally portrayed (although it sounds as though your complications started earlier then most)

A third of patients had undergone re operation after five years, increasing to 53% at 10 years. The incidence of band removal increased from 0.5% at one year to 11% at five years and 35% at 10 years (http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919)

Don't feel alone - there are a lot of people out there having band problems - unfortunately they are ashamed or afraid to seek out help (as you have seen here).   I hope things get better for you and your family and that you find a solution that works for you. Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

abandster
on 3/19/11 11:02 am
Most Active