2 Weeks Post Op..1st "OH, CRAP!" Experience

T. Christian
on 2/6/11 12:57 am, edited 2/6/11 1:02 am
Sooooo, I made scrambled eggs for my Sunday Breakfast. I took a bite and chewed a couple time and SWALLOWED!  Sweet heavens... 

I could feel the eggs go down and start to get stuck. I leaned over the fridge and wished like hell it would hurry up and pass. It felt like there was a big ball in your upper chest trying to go down but also trying to come up. 

I ran to the bathroom and to my amazement , I didn't barf! My body did this weird thing. I burped and pieces of eggs came out, another prompt burp came and more little pieces of eggs came out, another prompt burp and more eggs.  Soo why didn't I barf? Is this what happens to bandsters? We BURP the food out?  WEIRD!  Crazy part, I don't even have a FILL! Man, chewing alot before swallowing really requires being very aware of what you do when you eat!
Follow me @ www.Trim4Life.blogspot.com

Beginning weight before 10 days of liquids: 313. LBS 1/14/11 ** Pre-surgery weight: 298 1/24/11 
Confirmed Pregnancy- 3-14-11 ** Birth of Baby girl 11-1-11
*Never expect perfection from an imperfect person.

coachgrrl
on 2/6/11 1:14 am
 Yes that is what's known as a PB or productive burp

Be careful...chew throroughly

T. Christian
on 2/6/11 1:18 am
THAT'S a productive burp? WoW! Yeah, I will be more careful! It's like I couldn't do 2 things at once, My son was talking to me and I just ate it chewed and swallowed. Never, EVER again. That was hell.

Beginning weight before 10 days of liquids: 313. LBS 1/14/11 ** Pre-surgery weight: 298 1/24/11 

jaxmom
on 2/6/11 1:19 am
Hi Friend!!!!
You are really progressing!!!! Anyway, a few things.... first, according to my surgeon, most surgeons put some saline in (it is not considered a fill at all) to maintain an equilibrium between the body and foreign body (band and tubing) or something to that effect. my surgeon said that sometimes that small amount of saline stays in the band, while other times, it is dispersed thru all of the band and tubing leaving very little effect. it's a very small amount and will usually have no effect on restriction (unless it's a case where a surgeon purposely puts a significant amount of fluid in the band at the time of surgery, which my surgeon believes has the potential for adding to problems down the road).  Anyway, because of the surgery, you are most likely swollen around the area where the band was placed. This is most likely why you are feeling restriction. Healing could take several weeks, so take it VERY easy with your band. Take tiny bites and concentrate on your chewing. You did not throw up, like you are used to pre op, because the food did not make it to that point of the digestive process. it sounds like it was stuck above the opening (which is painful) but you really want to avoid those situations because you need to take very good care of that band and YOU. did your surgeon tell you to return to liquids for 24 hours when that happens to you? I know that many do- I think it is to give enough time for the inflammation to subside. If it continues with well-chewed, tiny bites, i would discuss it with the surgeon just for peace of mind. so excited for you, friend!!!!!! yay!!!!
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

T. Christian
on 2/6/11 1:27 am
Okay, my surgeon said he doesn't fill during surgery because he wants my stomache to heal after having the procedure. But it makes since that there may be some saline in there, not neccesarily a fill b/c I actually have some restriction. Which I am thankful for b/c my first fill is next week and that may help me even more. Thank you SOOO much  for the info and support! I totally understand I have to be mindful of every second I put something in my mouth.  Thank you so much.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/6/11 1:34 am - UK

Your first lesson!!

That's a PB! In the UK we call it "bringing back" and that describes it better, IMO!

Bizarrely, many of us find eggs difficult.  I can never eat more than about 4 mouthfuls of omelette or a very small amount of scrambled egg.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

T. Christian
on 2/6/11 1:39 am
I like the term "bringing back" better..LOL! Well if many find eggs difficult, I am thrilled that my first lesson was with eggs then!  I don't want any more 'OH, CRAP" moments. It was aweful.

Thanks kate.

Steve S.
on 2/6/11 1:39 am - Bowling Green, OH
Lap Band on 01/18/11 with
Ohh PBs! I have only had one but it was with a liquid that my stomach didnt care for (too much sugar I am guessing!)

My surgeon said you need to chew things 25-30 times before swallowing to best prevent the things from getting stuck. This equates to all food you swallow having the consistency of apple sauce (gross to think about, nice to not have things stuck.)

Chew chew chew! I am just starting back with eggs and it's been going well so far *crosses fingers*

Have a great Sunday!

T. Christian
on 2/6/11 1:45 am

Yeah, PBing sux! I totally knew better than to not chew thouroghly, but I honestly wasn't thinking. Good luck with the eggs and have a great Sunday as well!

Kate -True Brit
on 2/6/11 1:52 am - UK

Social eating can be difficult sometimes: you are chatting away, want to join in the converstaion, swallow hastily to speak and think *&^%$£! - why did I do that! I am almost 5 years out and still do it sometimes!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active