weight loss pills

Weighting2Bskinny
on 2/5/11 4:01 am
I am probably gonna start on weight loss pills. what do yall think about it? I believe it will help me. I HOPE SO! I am so desperate to lose weight. I will take anything.
adorkbl
on 2/5/11 4:40 am
Are you banded? 

I generally think weight loss pills are a bad idea. I would start by recording everything you eat and make adjustments. It can be a real eye opener once you wright everything down... just how much you are consuming in a day.

A great website is FatSecret.com. If you have a smart phone, they have a very user friendly AP that is FREE, that makes it a cinch to record what you eat as you're eating it. 

Depending on your age, height, and weight, it will suggest a RDI (recommended daily allowance) for you.

Good luck.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

jennifer M.
on 2/5/11 4:54 am - Cincinnati, OH
I am normally against them too, but My dr's office is offering adipex under a HIGHLY supervised program where I have to check-ins once a week.  The max amount I can do it is 6 months.  This is the only way I would take them.  I did it to jump start my weight loss.  I had a baby and gained 60 lbs from the original 88 I lost.  Good luck with your decision!
Jenn
"if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" Marilyn Monroe

crystal M.
on 2/5/11 5:58 am - Joliet, IL
I feel that most OTC pills are useless.  if there was a magic pill no one would be fat.  The prescription pills I feel work while you take them but what happens after you stop taking them???  I would focus more on changing behaviors that have cause the weight gain, look closely at what your eating and EXERCISE.  This will work more than any pill will.  That is what helped me and I lost 13 lbs last month.  I lost 8 in December and October and November I lost 28....and so on.  I just am careful about what I eat.  Then I exercise 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week.  I also walk on my lunch hour for 30 minutes, 5 days a week.  My routine includes 60 minutes on the treadmill and weight lifting and stretching.  Good luck!!! 
Angela S.
on 2/5/11 6:27 am
I was on adipex for almost a year and didn't lose much weight.  They are really helpful with energy and can increase your productivity during the day, although they can make you a little shaky at times which is scary.  The problems come with:  if you take them in the morning, they are coming out of your system at night which can cause you to eat more calories at night and gain weight; if you take them mid morning or later, they will disturb your sleep which isn't good either.

I wish I wouldn't have stayed on them for as long as I did.  It was a waste and expensive, it didn't help me re-train myself to have better eating habits. 

If you do try them, make sure you have your blood pressure monitored.

Good luck!

Lisa O.
on 2/5/11 8:41 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Dont waste your time on OTC varieties but my surgeon's medically supervised (non surgical) uses Phentermine.  I've tried it and it does help decrease appetite and gives more energy but you do have to be careful not to take it too late in the day or you won't sleep.  Insurance doesn't cover it even though it  is a perscription but at Costco it's only $15.00 for a 30 day supply.

I never had real hunger issues since having my band.  My issues are only in my head but the Phentermine will give you an energy boost.

Oh, I have also tried the natural supplement 5HTP and it works, not only as an appetite depressant, but as a mood enhancer.  It also helps me sleep.

Don't start anything without support from your doctor.  It's important that your overall health is considered too!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

NOVIA 88 8
on 2/5/11 1:11 pm - OR
It is tempting thinking that pills are going to help us with weight loss. But in reality they can cause more harm to your body that what you think. my sister last year she started on this pills the onlyone approved by the FDA. And now  her thyroid is not working at all because she had to go trough radiation and now for the rest of her life she is going to take thyroid pills. Now I know other people that they were taking some herbal pills  for weigh loss and their thyroid was completely mess up. Try walking every day that helps with stress and also cut on the portions that can  help.

Good luck to you!!!!!
Kate -True Brit
on 2/5/11 4:23 pm - UK

I always wonder what happens when you stop taking them! To lose weight and keep it off we have to learn new habits and change our lifestyle. That is hard! Very hard. But unless we do it, the weight will creep back on.

If your doc is supervising you and thinks it would help - he's the one with the qualifications! But it seems to me that it should only be very short term, if at all. But everyone on this board knows the horror of in our heads wanting to eat well and hating ourselves as we eat badly! So to get you started...? Not sure!

I don't think from looking at your profile that you are banded yet? Is that happening soon?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active