Confused

dmbitalianeyes
on 2/6/11 1:42 am - Chicago, IL
FobiPouch on 01/17/06 with
I am just beginning this journey. My doctors insist I disregard lap-ban for gastro-bi-passs. I am torn over this issue. Please if anyone can give me some insight
Kate -True Brit
on 2/6/11 1:49 am - UK

Does your doc have a medical reason related to you personally that makes the bypass more suitable? For example, if you need to lose weight for very urgent medical reasons, the bypass is usually faster weight loss. Or it may be that it is more effective for a condition you have, like diabetes.

Whichever surgery you have (and don't ignore the VSG and the DS) , it is you who will have to live with it and make the lifestyle changes. So you need to do lots of research and see what you are most comfortable with.

What specific questions do you have?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

dmbitalianeyes
on 2/6/11 2:13 am - Chicago, IL
Yes I have diabetes which I can manage. I had planned the lap-ban but they say teh sucess rate is very low and most (30%) go to the other surgery
Jean M.
on 2/6/11 2:00 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I'm a little confused. According to your profile, you had Fobi-Pouch gastric bypass done in 2006. Did that not actually happen - you changed your mind or whatever? Or did it not work out well for you and now you're considering a revision to another surgery?

At any rate, the first thing to do is to ask your doctor why he/she prefers the gastric bypass in your case.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

dmbitalianeyes
on 2/6/11 2:14 am - Chicago, IL
No(lol) I was told that gastro-by-pass was better because the sucessus rate was better. Looking her I am not sure this is the case
Jean M.
on 2/6/11 8:23 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Well, the band has worked very well for me, but it's not for everyone. The gastric bypass is the "gold standard" bariatric surgery procedure in the USA - it has a longer history of success here than the band does.

If I were you, I'd browse through the other WLS forums here to get an idea of members' personal experiences with the different procedures.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

mjtoldeo
on 2/6/11 2:40 am
It is totally a personal choice. What you feel comfortable with. It's also about the journey. What works for one may not work for another..everybody is different. Good Luck to you!

Sandy
Nic M
on 2/6/11 2:48 am
I'd listen to your doctor in this instance. I saw a gastroenterologist this past week and he informed me that many doctors are realizing that the lapband is not as safe and effective as it was thought to be years ago and are discontinuing offering the surgery.

I myself had very bad complications with the lapband, so I tend to agree with your doctor.

Good luck to you. Research on the Failed and Revisions forums, as well as the Main board and other surgical option boards.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MARIA F.
on 2/6/11 3:40 am - Athens, GA

Your Dr. I'm sure is telling your this b/c he is now realizeing how ineffective the band really is.

I just posted an article from my blog ( FormerlyFluffy.com ) on the OH band forum. Please read it!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4316546/Lap-Band-Realize-Band-BEWARE/

Had I known then what I know now I NEVER would have gotten the band!!! I would NOT recommend the band to my worst enemy!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active