No drinking while eating is killing me!!!!

reneekennedy11
on 2/3/11 10:07 am - CA
Im such a guzzler...I love liquids especially when I eat. Im really having trouble not drinking while eating now! Also, How are you suppossed to sip all day? Sometimes I dont know when Im going to eat a meal...what if I have been sipping and then its time to eat? Any suggestions?

Sincerly,
 Very thirtsy newbie
janice34
on 2/3/11 10:13 am
I drink all the way up to my first bite of food. That is totally OK with my surgeon. I can tell you from experience that as you start to get more fills and good restriction, it will or may hurt if you drink with your food . It really did hurt me. It's like it caused my food to stick. OUCH!
adorkbl
on 2/3/11 10:15 am
This is what I am having the hardest time with right now as well. I know I am not getting enough liquids in. I am "new" to this since I never followed this rule the first go around. 

Right now I allow myself to drink pretty much right up until I eat. It goes right through the pouch, so I am not worried about it slurrying what I eat 10 minutes later.

I drink NOTHING while I eat.
I wait a FULL hour after I eat to drink.  

Problem is I forget after the hour is over that it is ok to start drinking again. I am really trying to work on drinking more between meals but have not been too successful. I will be looking for tips on that as well. 

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

JoMixx
on 2/3/11 8:30 pm - West Yarmouth, MA
Set a timer!! I have a timer on my phone and I set it when i have finished eating!!  I use it at work and home.  I am finally fully hydrated! (i'm a newbie too!)
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
reneekennedy11
on 2/3/11 10:25 am - CA
Yes...Im not sipping enough during the day. I need to drink more. I have my first fill on the 23rd...Im nervous...I only want a very small fill. I want to be able to swallow comfortably...Did you guys do a liquid diet when you have fills?
adorkbl
on 2/3/11 10:37 am
My surgeon recommends a liquid diet for 2 days after a fill. I did about a day and a half, had mushies for dinner the second day, and was ok on the third day with normal foods. 

When I was first banded... my first fill was 2cc. I didn't notice any difference. It too****il I had 5cc (three fills) before I noticed anything. 

Since port replacement, I have 4.75cc in my band right now. And I definitely feel it working. Then again, I have retrained my brain since my port replacement on what restriction is. 

Posted Image

gallbladder  

reneekennedy11
on 2/3/11 10:38 am - CA
Why did you need a port replacement? How was that? 
adorkbl
on 2/3/11 11:46 am
Port was leaking. It went well. So far so good. 

Posted Image

gallbladder  

kathkeb
on 2/3/11 10:30 am
I am allowed to drink right up until I start eating.

I eat and then wait about an hour to drink again (my doc says 30 - 45 minutes, but trial and error has shown me that I stay satisfied by my food longer if I wait a full hour).

So, I start the day with 16 - 24 ounces of water or tea
Then, I eat breakfast --- wait an hour, drink another 16 - 24  ounces before lunch
Wait an hour, drink another 16 - 24 ounces before dinner

I don't drink much after dinner because when I do, I wake up in the night and have to pee -- and then have problems going back to sleep

It seems that most successful bandsters 'know when they are going to get' -- we eat on a schedule most of the time --- so, meal times do not sneak up on us.
Kath

adorkbl
on 2/3/11 10:40 am
Thanks Kath. I am going to try that too! Right now in fact... since it is diner time soon!! Off to ge****er. 

Posted Image

gallbladder  

Most Active