Re-positioning the band?

Kitty_mom
on 2/4/11 8:48 am - New Maryland, Canada
I couldn't find anything about having the band re-positioned. I have had trouble since the fall of 2009. I flew to Europe. Apparently I had a tiny bubble in my band. In the flight it expanded. For the 10 days I was in Europe I had problems eating- I could eat mushy food but nothing more. I had to stay the way I was until I got home to my doctor. Since that unfill, I have not been able to maintain restriction. I am either wide open or I get tighter & tighter until not even water goes through. I have an unfill & we start over. As some as I get to any restriction at all, I get tighter & tighter......& history repeats. I have been treated multiple ways for reflex, but I don't feel reflux until I am too tight. For you had to have your band re-positioned, please share what happened to you. How did you know something was wrong? I wonder if I have a hernia - could that be the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 8:52 am - Des Moines, IA
Has the surgeon said how repositioning the band would help? 
Kitty_mom
on 2/4/11 9:13 am - New Maryland, Canada
It is under consideration as a cure for my problems. I have an appointment on Feb 24th.

Kitty_mom
on 2/5/11 12:18 pm - New Maryland, Canada
No, but my understanding is that if the band is in the wrong place, it does not work right. It can cause you to be too tight or able to eat too much.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/4/11 8:59 am - UK

Several people have done but i can never remember who did what! Hope someone will chime in for you.

Does your surgeon think it has slipped?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 2/4/11 10:30 am
I had mine repositioned 6 months after my initial surgery. (My stomach was twisted into a figure 8 and my intestines kinked.) Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to alleviate the problems, long term. It saved me from dying, but I still had massive complications.

The surgery itself was immensely easier than the initial surgery, but that's because my first surgeon botched it. So, I guess since my situation was way out of the realm of "normal," I am not sure I should even be answering!  I think that repositioning MIGHT work... but don't be surprised if you still have problems after. It seems to me that once you have problems with the band, it's hard to get to a point where you don't have them, unfortunately.

BUT, I don't mean to be totally negative. You could get fixed up and be good as new! Think positively, I guess!   I wish you the best. Hope you find out what's happening and can get it taken care of.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

jadelyn
on 2/5/11 4:45 am - DE
I had my band re-positioned over a year ago due to a slippage.  I knew something was wrong when I could not keep anything down,not even my spit. I had awful reflux that woke me up at night and it got so bad that I started vomiting coffee grin looking stuff. It was bad. My band slipped because of ME!!!  I did not follow the band rules when it came to throwing up.  I thought by me being tight, that would allow me to lose more weight. So wrong, and that mistake caused my band to slip and could have cause me to lose my band along with other health issues. Thank God it was repairable and repositioned. My band is in a good position now and I have not had any problems with it.  I do not allow myself to throw up  at all.  It very important to know your band and take fast action when you know something isn't right.  Take action now so the problem don't get any worst.  Hope you feel better.

Jade
Kitty_mom
on 2/5/11 8:07 am - New Maryland, Canada
Thanks you ladies.

Lynn C
on 2/5/11 11:28 pm
repositioning the band will only help if its in the wrong position and a doctor would need to do an upper GI to see if that is the case. Hernia could cause these symptoms, but would also need testing to confirm and some do not show up until the doc is actually inside you.

Sometimes bands just stop co-operating and once that happens it is usually very hard to get them to behave again, its a mystery of modern medicine.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active