recipe i made, how bad is it?

grmadeb01
on 2/3/11 3:51 am - FL
ok, i have been trying many different things over the past, to in corporate better things in things i make, using better ingredients. so here is what i have made today
i know chocoloate chip cookies are not good for us to eat...good for the tastebuds, but not good for us so here is what i did...this is for a double receipe from on back of chocolate chip package

it called for 3 cups sugar, i used 2 cups mixture of honey, molassis, and agave nectar
i only used 1 cup of brown sugar
5 eggs, 4 sticks of butter, i also used 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon flax seed (ground), 1 scoop of super greens powder (spinach,wheat grass, alfafa etc), 1 cup peanut butter,
i have a wheat grinder so i used 3 cups of freshly ground wheat flour, 1.5 cupsof white flour
receipe called for 4.5 cups of flour
i also added walnuts, chocolate chips...
i made them into cookie bars in stead of cookies as they were a little wet and not as dry and it should have been to drop cookies...

so far they taste pretty good...my plan is to start using all wheat flour and no white flour, less sugar as possible, using just honey and agave, does not give recipes the same texture that you need...so i am still playing with that.

so how bad is this to eat? i know the brown sugar and white flour are the worst items...but i did use them in very little amounts it made 2 very large cake pans full of cookie bars, i plan to freeze some of them.
thanks so much
debby
Stephanie M.
on 2/3/11 3:58 am
Spark People has a recipe calculator you can use to get the nutritional information for any recipe you input...www.sparkpeople.com

That said, honey, white sugar, brown sugar, agave nectar are all sugar...agave nectar is just sweeter per volume than the others, so the assumption is that less will be used.  Molasses has quite a bit of carbs too...

You can add all the flax seed, super green powder, etc you want, this doesn't look like a low carb-low fat-low calorie option...considering the other ingredients.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Lisa O.
on 2/3/11 5:15 am - Snoqualmie, WA
It's all still sugar and carbs!  Stephanie M. is correct.  You have added a little bit more fiber through the whole wheat and flax seeds, but not much becuase it's ground.  If you want to bake with something to replace sugar try Splenda.  They even make brown sugar Splenda and I cook with it all the time if a recipe calls for sugar.

There are a ton of low cal cookies out there but they are still cookies!  Research some recipes from the experts if you want to have them around but for me it's a big no-no!  I can binge on LF cookies just as much as regular.  WW, Hungry Girl and Cooking Light all have several options but...still it's a slippery slope.

I gained 20 lbs over Christmas from eating cookies...a lot of cookies!  It's no fun having to lose that 20 all over again but I'm doing it. 

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Bette B.
on 2/3/11 5:59 am
 Well, it's not "health food", by anyone's definition. As far as your body is concerned, a sugar is a sugar, whether it't white, brown, maple, honey, whatever. Fats are fats (to a certain extent.) But you can still have a LITTLE of pretty much anything. That was one of the reasons for having the band.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

sesmith
on 2/3/11 9:39 pm
 It also depends on how many you eat. I can't keep lots of cookies in my house because I eat them. It starts with the baking for me, which is the beginning of the downfall. I overdid pasta this winter, my own recipe with low fat cheese, but I am wearing that pasta on my hips, and disapointed in myself for pretending it was OK. It was a lot easier to stop the pasta than it is to fight the sugar cravings. Right now I am experimenting with unsweetened almond breeze, and am stocked up on healthy choices. The band started to complain, imagine that, and I was afraid I had a slip, or a dilated pouch. Cleaning up my act has stopped almost all problems. If only my brain could be as smart as this piece of plastic. 
Most Active