Haven't Lost Weight

Linda73507
on 2/3/11 1:37 am - OK
Adjustable Gastric Band on 10/26/10
HELP!! I had my 1st 28 Dec 2010 and haven't lost a pound. I lost 15 pounds on the liquid diet before surgery, surgery date was 26 Sep 2010. I follow the dietary guidelines, but am not able to exercise due to a previous back injury. I should at least be able to lose a pound every so often, but nothing so far. Am I just being impatient? I hope so!
Lowcountry
on 2/3/11 3:03 am - Lady's Island, SC
First relax take a nice deep breath. Now know this that no person's weight loss journey is going to be the same as yours.  I'm assuming you were saying that you had your first fill on 12/28. Some things that you might try if you are not already is a food log. There is one on this site and there are a ton more all over the web.  I have to ask, is there absolutely no exercises you can do?  Weight loss always comes down to less calories in and more calories out. Have you gone to a exercise physiologist or a physical therapist to figure out some way for you to have a cardio workout without further hurting your back?

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

Linda73507
on 2/3/11 5:13 am - OK
Yes, I had my first fill on 12/28. I did lose 15 lbs on the liquid diet prior to surgery. That was nice. I do currently use a food log. I log the amount, protein, calories, fat and sugar in each item I eat. The only exercise I can do are stretches, so I spend a lot of time stretching. Several times a day I go through complete body stretches, starting from head to toe. I was in physical therapy off and on for 25 years and never lost weight there. I've never been to an exercise physiologist. To be honest, I've never heard of that. I'm going to see if I can locate one in our area. Thank you very much response!
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/11 3:24 am, edited 2/3/11 3:25 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Are you able to take brisk walks? There is no way that I could lose weight with my band HEALTHY with no movement. The only time that I lost weight with absolutely no walking was a few times when I was filled dangerously too tight and I think I lost about 8 pounds in two weeks from dehydration and I could not wait to get back to my surgeon for relief and unfill.

I am not trying to be smart but do you know that some form of exercise IS REQUIRED for weight loss with the Lap band? Those who are super morbid obese that are not able to walk or exercise are told to get the bypass since it will help you more than the band initially and the malabsorption helps absorb calories the first 18 month or so, but with the band you are pretty much on your own unless you are EXTREMELY good at calorie counting it will be tough to lose weight with NO EXERCISE.

Even when you get to a good restriction level which usually takes about 3-8 months post op and 3-5 fills 4-6 weeks apart  you still MUST exercise to lose weight consistently and safely you can't count on a very tight fill to get you to goal without risking complications, but the good news is once you reach your sweet spot which is about 4-5 oz of solid food per meal it is very easy to stay on track and lose weight, but it is MUCH easier to lose weight with some form of exercise whether it's brisk walking, swimming, dancing etc.

Good luck
Linda73507
on 2/3/11 5:21 am - OK
No, I cannot take brisk walks. I can walk very short distances, but not briskly, yet. I do know that exercise is required for weight loss, with any type of tool. I am retired from the Army, so used to run long distances 3-5 days a week for 20 years. I was nice and slim then, but also did 1 hour of weights after running. Since I've retired the pounds packed on and the injury with my back has gotten worse, partly because of the weight. So they are thinking if I can lose some weight then I can do some exercise without it bothering my back. I'm just not getting there very fast. I do complete head to toe stretches several times a day and walk the short distance that I am able to. I received a response to try an exercise physiologist to help with a program. I've tried the physical therapy stint: 20 years worth. Hopefully, one day my back will allow me to do something brisk.
shellqueen
on 2/3/11 3:56 am - New Brighton, MN
Linda! I can relate. I got my band on 9/27/07. Since then I had just about all the complicaitons you can imagine-including 2 port replacemnt surgeries. However, I have to be honest with myself and own my poor choices. Check out the bandwagon book or web site. Its great! Focus on what you can control and work closely with you bariatric center. Honey, they've seen and heard it all- they should be there to help you- get the help. I really do feel for you. K
Linda73507
on 2/3/11 5:22 am - OK
Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/11 7:19 am - Ft Worth, TX
 What is the bandwagon web site? Please
-Mari-
on 2/3/11 8:16 am
Amy, this is one of Jeans websites, it has really good info on it.
http://jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com/
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 5:16 am - Ft Worth, TX
 Thanks... I spent sometime looking there and I like it.
Most Active