How much WEIGHT do you lose in a week

Pamela B.
on 2/2/11 2:15 am - AR
VSG on 08/14/15
I'm STILL Preop before the diet still working on my Consult they say its Tuesday sometime so abt how much weight do you lose during 1 week I was thinking abt 15lbs is this wrong or does it just depend on the person and situation,what you eat and stuff...just asking I didn't know if they was a average of weight that you can lose...Thanks for all your comments.....
janice34
on 2/2/11 2:29 am, edited 2/2/11 10:20 am
I'm STILL Preop before the diet still working on my Consult they say its Tuesday sometime so abt how much weight do you lose during 1 week I was thinking abt 15lbs a month is this wrong or does it just depend on the person and situation,what you eat and stuff...just asking I didn't know if they was a average of weight that you can lose...Thanks for all your comments.....
Kate -True Brit
on 2/2/11 3:02 am - UK
On February 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM Pacific Time, Pamela B. wrote:
I'm STILL Preop before the diet still working on my Consult they say its Tuesday sometime so abt how much weight do you lose during 1 week I was thinking abt 15lbs is this wrong or does it just depend on the person and situation,what you eat and stuff...just asking I didn't know if they was a average of weight that you can lose...Thanks for all your comments.....

I think there must be a typo in your post. Did you mean 1.5 lbs a week? I can't imagine anyone losing 15lbs in a week with the band.   I suppose conceivably an extremely large person jsut might in the very first week....but really not likely. Or did you mean 15lbs a month? That is almost double what many bandsters lose.

The average loss is about 1 - 2 lbs a week. It is often more than that in the early stages. But as we don't malabsorb we don't lose the large amounts that people with DS or RNY sometimes lose. And even for them, 15lbs would be an awful lot!

But we all lose at different speeds and it is sensible not to compare yourself to others.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 2/2/11 4:07 am
Alot depends on your current weight and activity level.

Average weight loss is 1 - 2 pounds per week.

I lost an average of 3 pounds per week in the 6 weeks prior to surgery (following low-carb diet).
I lost an average of 2.5 pounds per week for the first 6 months after my band --- and then my weight loss slowed down to about 1.5 pounds per week.

15 pounds is a great loss for a month ---- it is completey unrealistic for a week.
Kath

Tiff tells all
on 2/2/11 4:16 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19

are you talking about during the pre-op liquid diet? If that case, yes I can see that happening. Pre-op I dropped some serious poundage. Not 15 but it was like 8 or something. i can't remember. It's a very strange a wierd time frame and you will be shocked at what you go through physically and emotionally.

Each doc is different.  Some do 2 weeks liquids, some do 3 days liquids...it varies to much to speculate.

post surgery, there is a weird honeymoon healing phase. But after that, 1-2 lbs a week is the norm.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Jo N.
on 2/2/11 5:38 am - Crawfordsville, IN
If you are talking about weight loss after having the procedure then may I sincerely offer that you absolutely forget about numbers. Do not play the number game. Numbers on the scale. Numbers on your clothes. The ONLY numbers (IMO) is the number of protein in your meals. The number of times you get up & move. The number of times you feel good about your improved health. Those are numbers to be concerned about. You can end up really creating a possible emotional disaster if your start worrying about the amount of weight you loose each day/week/month. Just follow the banding rules & concentrate of feeling healthy.
Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

honeyp1
on 2/2/11 11:26 am - NC
I am in the final stages before my surgery date, I am currently doing the high protein low carb diet...How much weight can I expect to loose before the surgery?
mmmart7
on 2/2/11 12:07 pm
Hello...

I had the band done in May of 09 and the first week post op I lost 17 pounds.  My doctor said that it was very unusual for a person to loose that much weight out of the gates, but it does happen.  Typically you can expect to loose between 1 to 4 pounds a week. 
br549
on 2/2/11 8:15 pm - Coal City, WV
I lost 15 lbs the first week post-op on my dr's liquid diet......after that i averaged 5 lbs per week for the first three months.....after the first 90 days it is averaging 2 lbs per week

Lost 41 lbs pre-op ..included in total - Surgery weight 300 lbs Hightest weight 400+

Most Active