Our 1 year bandiversary

PalmettoCrab
on 2/2/11 8:40 pm - Lady's Island, SC

February 3, 2011

Our 1 year Bandiversary

One year ago today Lowcountry and PalmettoCrab started our lives over.  We made the very difficult and complex decision to get Lap-Bands to improve our health and our life expectancy. 

One year ago, Lowcountry was suffering from out-of-control Diabetes.  His hemoglobin A1C was 9.9 at one time (normal is 4.0-6.0).  He was on two different medications for diabetes and more were being added to his daily regime.  Since the day of surgery, he has been on no medications at all.  His A1C is now 5.4 and completely normal.  He went from quarterly visits to his doctor to “See you in a year" on his last visit. 

A year ago, PalmettoCrab was suffering from Diabetes, PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraines, infertility, and NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatisis) which was found during my surgery.  I was on so many medications, I couldn’t seem to get a pill organizer big enough.  My A1C was 7.5ish.  It is now 5.8; completely normal.  The only thing I take medicine for now is migraine prevention (I don’t even need a pill organizer for that one pill).  All other symptoms and ailments are gone!  My cholesterol is down 100 points, my blood pressure is normal, all of my lab work is within normal ranges. 

Lowcountry has lost 83 pounds and 64% of his excess weight.  PalmettoCrab has lost 41 pounds and 52% of my excess weight.  Lowcountry has 48 more pounds to lose and PalmettoCrab has 39 more pounds to lose.  We are losing slowly but steady.  The slower the better; statistics show the slower you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off.

We started the Couch to 5k program in August.  We love that program and highly recommend it.  Lowcountry ran his first 5k on October 2nd.  I was so proud of him!  On October 16th, PalmettoCrab ran her first 5k.  Lowcountry was so proud!  I came in last, but I still finished!  On December 4th, we both ran over the Savannah River Bridge.  It is a 5.5% grade for almost a mile.  PalmettoCrab ran the 5k which was once over the bridge and Lowcountry ran the 10k which was twice over the bridge!  We are in training again.  PalmettoCrab is training to run her first 10k in the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston (Lowcountry’s running that too)!  Lowcountry is training to run a half marathon.  He will be ready by June, but he may not have a race to run in until the fall.  We are also starting to cross-train with weights, yoga, aerobics, swimming, and various exercise machines. 

We are very pleased with our first year.  This has been a major lifestyle change.  Everything else we tried would only be successful for 1-3 months and then we’d fall off the wagon.  This time, we are changing forever!

Kristen  Put on your Big Girl Panties and DEAL with it!!        
happy-mommy
on 2/2/11 8:47 pm - MD
Yeah,  yeah, yeah!  Congrats to you both.  My next goal is to run a 5k.  I think as soon as it warm up I will start the couch to 5K program.  Thanks for inspiring me!
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 9:09 pm
Congratulations to you both for a fantastic year!
barrettk
on 2/2/11 9:10 pm - Manassas, VA
REALIZE Band on 02/03/10 with
Congratulations! It's my one year mark as well and I am so excited about what the next year has to offer. Running a 5K is quite an accomplishment. I've never understood the sport of running or marathons, but I always have such admiration for people that can do it.
Kris

Current fill in 11cc band is 10.4ccs.
PalmettoCrab
on 2/2/11 9:11 pm - Lady's Island, SC
Happy Bandiversary!
Kristen  Put on your Big Girl Panties and DEAL with it!!        
Lowcountry
on 2/2/11 9:34 pm - Lady's Island, SC
Go Us!!!!!!! It's been an awesome year and I can't wait to see what is in store for us next.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

NCA2008
on 2/2/11 9:46 pm - NC
I remember when you two had your surgery and first started posting! Congratulations!

Start/293lbs   Current/189lbs  Goal/160lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 11:42 pm - Des Moines, IA
I'm so happy for you two!  Wow, to get off of all of those meds and to be running!  You should both be so proud.  Congrats and Happy Bandiversary.  The year flew by, didn't it?  wooHOOOOO
Hermosa L
on 2/3/11 12:55 am
Congrats to both of you!!

Tiff tells all
on 2/3/11 1:21 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Way to go you two! It's be fun to watch your journey. I'm excited to see what year two will bring you.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Most Active