OK, ladies, let's talk panties

Jean M.
on 2/2/11 6:25 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Although I'm a highly trained lingerie expert at JC Penney, I'm dealing with a lingerie challenge that my JCP training hasn't quite addressed. I'd like to hear opinions and experiences about this so I won't go on spending money on panties that don't work.

At JCP, we carry 8 categories of panties (bigger stores may carry more).
thongs
bikinis
hipsters
hi-cuts
boy briefs
hot shorts
briefs
full cut briefs (aka granny panties)

For years, I wore full brief panties in size 11. After losing my excess weight, I wore size 7 briefs (Barely There brand being my favorite). Even when I wear pants that are below-the-waist, I feel uneasy if the waistband of my panties doesn't reach my waist. My problem is that there are so few choices of briefs in fashion colors. For some reason, I feel like I deserve to wear pretty panties now.

I've experimented with all these choices...hi-cuts let my panni hang out...boy briefs ride up my butt, hipsters are marginally OK but also seem too...brief...in the butt. Thongs? Um, no. Today I'm wearing hipster panties, cream with cute red bows on them, that just don't seem right...I don't know if I should hike 'em up, or pull 'em down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

JoMixx
on 2/2/11 6:38 am - West Yarmouth, MA
Commando??? LOL
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
jennylew
on 2/2/11 7:13 am - Hill AFB, UT

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
steelerfan1
on 2/2/11 8:15 am
On February 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM Pacific Time, JoMixx wrote:
Commando??? LOL

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jean M.
on 2/3/11 12:06 am
Revision on 08/16/12
No, I think not.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

janice34
on 2/2/11 6:50 am
Jean I can't wait to see all the responses. This is something I have been dealing with too and I am just to tight to go out and buy some of all. I have been wearing the hi cut briefs. I do like them as long as nothing hangs out as you stated. I want to try the boy shorts, but I don't know. I don't think the hipsters will stay up. When I get real brave I will try a thong.
Jo N.
on 2/2/11 7:06 am - Crawfordsville, IN

I prefer hipsters and/or boy briefs, however I've had my panni removed so those styles are really comfortable & offer enough variety personally for me. 

Before my panni removal though I wore regular briefs mostly from VS because for some reason they were the only ones (other brands didn't) that fit my panni & made me comfortable. Have you tried briefs of different brands? Because one brands brief might be another brands box or hipster. Ya gotta experiment!!!

Oh how I miss underwear. I've packed mine all up. I might eventually just give them away instead of them hanging around in my closet making me sad & anger every time I walk in there to get clothes to wear. 

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

BTW - did you ever imagine in your old days that in the future you'd have to ask girls about different kinds of underwear other then the bland tent like coverage they only offer obese people? Makes ya kinda wanna giggle doesn't it? LOL!

Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

Hermosa L
on 2/2/11 7:10 am
First off no heavy set person should wear low rise jeans so why do i need low rise underwear LOL 

Second I'm still fluffy so I can say that.

I like MY grandma panties.. I like the coverage I like to keep everything in it's place and when needed a dress or special occasion I break out the griddle the long one that goes up to my bra.

At times .. "special dates" I will wear cheeky underwear where half you butt isn't covered and those are okay they are like boy shorts but a tad smaller.. and I like boy shorts because again I like the coverage.

I wouldn't be caught DEAD in a Thong, low cut undies are two low and I carry a lot of weight in my stomach so they are uncomfortable I feel the need to pull them up.
jennylew
on 2/2/11 7:10 am - Hill AFB, UT
Jean,
    Thank God I'm not the only one having this problem.  I can't figure out what panties to wear either. Ever since I was a size 12, I've worn Hi-cuts, however now that I've gone down a couple of sizes, my pannie shows and they just go up too high above my belly button. My butt is shrinking, but I still have the gut. Maybe I will try the "Barely There" briefs you wore for a while. Good luck to you. I hope some others will give us some ideas!

Jen-

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
psychomom
on 2/2/11 7:12 am - China Grove, NC
You do deserve to wear pretty panties !!!!   I would go online to Victoria's Secret and see if they have anything there you like because they offer alot of basic styles in great colors and designs! I buy most of my undies there. It is not all strings and things ;). Panty shopping can be as exhausting as bathing suit and bra shopping ! UGHHHH .

Most Active