Trader Joe's suggestions

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/11 11:10 pm - Des Moines, IA
Hi, Trader Joe's is new to my area and I went there a week ago and wow, so many things I've never tried before or even seen before.  I found some different brands of Greek yogurt, 4 flavors of Hummus, some dried snap peas.  We didn't have a lot of time to really look at all the store had to offer.  I never had tried the hummus before, but it is good.  I'm willing to try new things, just want to know if you have any fun suggestions for me!

Stay warm!  -2 below here in Iowa
Kristi
PaintingChef
on 2/1/11 11:22 pm - TN
GREEN PLANT FOOD JUICE!!!  It is incredibly delicious and has SO many wonderful things in it.  But I'm serious... DO NOT look at it too closely before you drink it, it looks like sludge.  But the taste?  Oh man.  Fruity, fruity, fruity.  I so desperately wish we had a Trader Joe's where I live, I would be able to drink it all the time.  Sadly, I have to settle for the Naked Juice version that isn't anywhere near as magically delicious.

Hummus IS wonderful, have you tried baba ganoush?  It's a similar flavor and made from eggplant which is also full of wonderful things.
My blog:  PaintingChef

Mell
on 2/1/11 11:24 pm
The frozen turkey meatballs are great! And good in calories and an easy quick fix for lunch, dinner, or even a snack, I just pop them in the microwave with hummus or on a salad I love them! They have frozen enamame that is great, oh and a whole grain flax seed cracker that is a good alternative when you want a crunch.
Stephanie M.
on 2/1/11 11:25 pm
Hi Kristi!  Congratulations on TJ coming to your neighborhood!  We have a large, multi-generation household ( three 13 yr old girls, 15 yr old boy, my daughter and husband (almost 40) and my husband and I (early 60's) and we spend about 25% of our food budget at TJs.  The band friendly items are so numerous!

We buy a lot of our produce there on the weeks we go...all of the produce is reasonable and there are many items that are so convenient, such as mirepoix (celery, onion and carrots, diced) that we use in many recipes.  They carry 99% fat free ground turkey and natural 96% ground beef(which comes in one pound packages or made into 4oz patties.  They have a huge assortment of cheeses.  In the frozen dept, we buy the mahi mahi filets marinated in olive oil and 4 seasonings, as well as the marinated salmon.  They have chicken tenders (breaded and fully cooked) that are reasonable in fat and carbs and are good for a quick lunch or dinner when you don't want to cook.  We buy their pasta and tomato basil sauce for the kids.  Reasonable and great to have on hand in a pinch.

The popcorn with olive oil and sea salt is to die for and a serving is 2 cups (so for us a 1/4 serving is less calories and fat than other popcorn options)....they have many treats that are smaller in size, so perfect for a little nibble when the time is appropriate.

Getting familiar with TJs is a project.  Try to go early, when they first open and you might miss the zoo-like atmosphere!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

MARIA F.
on 2/2/11 12:47 am - Athens, GA

Think I will try the chicken tenders and the popcorn!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Bette B.
on 2/1/11 11:33 pm
 Dark chocolate covered edamame!!!!!!!!!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jkhawk8
on 2/2/11 2:15 am - Alexandria, KY
Really?  Whoa, I'm going!

OCMomma
on 2/2/11 8:09 am
That sounds yummy

Failed Lapband December 2010,Revision to RNY 2015.

bubblesrn
on 2/1/11 11:50 pm
I heart TJ's.  I find it higher quality and cheaper than going to my Stop and Shop!

I'm with Mell on the turkey meatballs.  LOVE them.  I'm so full after just having 2 of them.  I put a little mariara sauce on top or defrost them and cup them up a bit and make them my protein part for a soup.

Also love the roasted garlic hummus and already cooked hard boiled egg whites (yolks taken out for you) in the dairy section.

I like their powder vanilla flavored whey protein too.  Cheaper than other brands and low carb/cal.  I haven't done protein supplements in a long time (no need to since I get enough with real foods) but it was good to have on hand during the start of my journey.

have fun with it... TJ's is just fun to wander around in!

Take care!
Stay safe everyone!  Ice storm here in northern NJ!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Hermosa L
on 2/2/11 12:01 am
They have such great items at Trader Joes

I like this egg salad they make .. they have two verisions of it I get the light one (it's in the refridgeration case)

I also get their all white meat bbq chicken at times
They have steel cut oatmeal - Frozen section
I buy my Vans waffles there and they sell bags of frozen peppers I use when I make fajitas

They have great seafood in the frozen section too
I like their pitas when i'm going to make pizza because they are very cheap compared to a grocery store.

Most Active