Curses foiled again...aaarrrrrgh!

Huggles13151
on 2/1/11 11:00 pm - Northwood, OH
I got my band Jan 10th and have been doing great. I am into mushy foods and other than a little incident with tuna salad have had no problem. Won't be having tuna salad for a looooong time..lol. My list says boiled, moist really well cooked meat.  I was on an archeological dig of my freezer and came across a pot roast.  I'm thinking crock pot for hours equals moist and juicy. So I nestled it down in the crock pot with a ton of carrots and a couple of small potatoes and flipped the switch. Hours later after smelling it and driving myself crazy it was falling apart. Got myself a small piece cut it up really good put plenty of juice on it and took a small bite. It was sooooooooo good. I really enjoyed it for the brief time I had it...aaaarrrrrrgh. I can mash the carrots and potatoes and eat them but not the meat .......sniffle sniffle whine. Took most of it over to my elderly neighbor and froze the rest....sigh maybe someday. Oh well it's a learning experience, it's a learning experience.... repeat after me it's a learning experience...lol.

Tiff tells all
on 2/1/11 11:09 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
if I'm chomping at the bit to get a little of what ever meat is cooking away. GUARANTEED I won't chew well enough to stop myself before I wreck myself. It's the truth. And thankfully my band is there to tell me to knock off that behavior and remind me to mind my step.

it won't always be this way. That negative reinforcement will hopefully put you in the right mindset. lets hope sooner than later because regular PBing is not healthy for you or your band.

I have found that having a little snack to take the edge off a few minutes before helps me slow down enough to eat properly. Try to not let yourself get that hungry or worked up over anything. It really does make a difference.

Yep- It's a learning experience for all of us. And each lesson is unique. Good Luck!

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Hermosa L
on 2/2/11 12:07 am
I couldn't eat meat for some time well meat like that.. my meat had to be like ground beef/turkey/chicken mixed with a sauce.. salsa or tomato/pasta sauce
or Chicken but I always had to dip it in things. But meat meat I couldn't eat for some time. Also I notice when I get excited about food the same thing happens to me most likely I just take a bite and don't pay much attention then boom stuck!!

Also at this point your eating so little a whole pot roast would of been so much you would of had to take 1/2 of it to your neighor anyways.
Huggles13151
on 2/2/11 12:43 am - Northwood, OH
I planned to take most of it to the neighbor anyway as she just lost her husband and hasn't been up to cooking . I was planning to keep a 2in square piece for myself.  I did cut it really fine and added a lot of juice so I figured it would be ok.  I didn't take a huge bite either. Now that I think about it the consistency was similar to the tuna.  Must have just been too gummy.  Oh well I still have chili and seafood salad...lol.  Also have lots of carrots from the pot roast......... lmao.

Shaesnana
on 2/2/11 12:49 am - Davenport, FL
Yes, it will get better.   I can eat just about anything so far.  No pb'ing or stuck episodes.
I was very careful and stuck to chicken, dark meat even tho I prefer white.   I even ate some steak the other night.  Cut it up real tiny and chewed well.  I'm surprised you had trouble with the tuna.  You did have it mixed with lite mayo or something, didn't you?  Hmmm    I do hear that this band of ours can be very fickle.  One day it's fine with something and the next day it isn't.   Maybe next pot roast.  I have a pork loin in the crock pot today with BBQ sauce.  I know we are suppose to be careful with sauces and stuff but I sooo love BBQ sauce!  I should be able to shred up the meat after it's cooked all day.

Lyn

Lisa O.
on 2/2/11 1:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Beef can be difficult even on a bandsters best day.  You just tried it too soon.  I use my crock pot a lot to tenderize meat but I wasn't allowed meat until 6 weeks post op.  I would avoid pork, chicken and beef until you heal more and get a little more practice chewing well and eating slowly.  I did eat the pre-made BBQ pork that you can get in the stores and that worked for me because of the sauce.  Egg salad, chicken salad, (cut very fine, no celery), and tuna, (same way) should work for you but it has to be moist.  Use FF mayo or the olive oil type, (that's what I like).  I also mixed in LF cottage cheese to tuna and chicken salad for more moisture.
My all time favorite soft food was FF refried beans with salsa and melted cheese.  If you like Mexican flavors, try it!  Later you can add diced chicken too!

Hang in there!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

dhenault
on 2/2/11 3:53 am
I was banded 11/9 and I still have a hard time some days with beef.  When I was able to eat soft solids, I could eat anything BUT beef.  I asked why and was told that it was harder to digest.  I'm sure in time it'll be fine.

paint2heal
on 2/2/11 2:37 pm - Belle, WV
My band HATES pot roast, so I have to leave it alone! 
Carla         
Join my 6 WEEK Summer time Weight Loss CHALLENGE!!! from July 11 thru August 22nd.  Join anytime!!!!
SW168/CW162/GW151

Most Active