Well blow me down!!! I guess I did cause my Bands demise. Thanks for the reminder

Jo 1962
on 2/1/11 6:23 am - NearHouston, TX

Hiya Bigbear *G* (Osogrand) 

I'm so sorry the band didn't work for you.   My surgeon treated  what sounds like a similar case.  In that case, the patient came to him from another surgeon and she had rings of scar tissue surrounding her band.  He offered to take out the scarred tissue but she opted just to have the dang thing out.    I don't blame her...I wouldn't want to let it have a 2nd chance at me if that's the way my body reacted to it.   

Thank you for posting and sharing your experience.   I hope you are able to get a revision since it seems the band is just not for you

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/11 6:38 am
I'm hoping that after the scope there is an answer like that. Do you know if the scar tissue was on the inside lining or the outside?  Scar tissue would seem like a reasonable explaination as to why my band seems tighter.  I wonder, now, if any studies have been done on people with bands and instances of excessive restriction due to scar tissue. 

I just want it fixed ASAP so that I can return to something normal. It used to be that all I had to do was unfil to reset back to zero and now it seems I don't even have that option.
Jo 1962
on 2/1/11 7:40 am - NearHouston, TX
I wish I could tell you. Sorry.  He seemed to think he could've fixed it if the patient was willing.   I hope the scope tells you something definitive and that your surgeon can help!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Zee Starrlite
on 2/1/11 6:34 am
Oso, I am sorry that you are experiencing "issues" with your Band.  Know that I am here for you - no bashing . . . I mean I would cheer you on if you got your band back working!  One of my best friends has a band and we just come together.  I want his to last forever unfortunately we met because we shared the same issues with dilation. 

It takes time to get used to not having the possibility of the chance of having a good working band when it is removed then with time how liberating it feels.  Never again will you have to worry about a slip, or anything going wrong with the Band. 

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

WASaBubbleButt
on 2/1/11 7:13 am - Mexico
On February 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, zee starrlite wrote:
Oso, I am sorry that you are experiencing "issues" with your Band.  Know that I am here for you - no bashing . . . I mean I would cheer you on if you got your band back working!  One of my best friends has a band and we just come together.  I want his to last forever unfortunately we met because we shared the same issues with dilation. 

It takes time to get used to not having the possibility of the chance of having a good working band when it is removed then with time how liberating it feels.  Never again will you have to worry about a slip, or anything going wrong with the Band. 

Best,
Leila

Leila...

Don't feel as though you need to defend your band problems.  When band problems kick in and you can't eat food, you might not even be able to drink liquids, you have horrific reflux, or a host of other issues you'll try darn near anything to make it work.  You already had band issues when you were cleaning your pouch or whatever it is that you were doing.  You were doing  it BECAUSE of band issues, not that it caused your band issues.

I was the bandster poster girl, lost 132#, got to goal, did everything in my power to make it work.   Went to two more doctors for 2nd opinions and my band was perfectly positioned, no problems surgically.  I never slipped, I never eroded, I never had a pouch dilation, I never had an esophageal dilation, I never kept my band too tight, I very simply had band intolerance.

Had I abused my own band there would have been evidence of it and there was none.

BTW, scar tissue is supposed to form around the band, that's what holds it in place long term. That's not a surgical error, that's an expected outcome.  I do sometimes wonder if in my case scarring was growing under the band giving me more restriction than I could handle.  I'll likely never know.  I don't care anyway, the sleeve is the right fit in my case.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
melly37
on 2/1/11 11:27 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Leila, there is reason that you HAVE to defend yourself, Those of us that have been around for awhile know that you did the best you could.  I, myself, know that you can have a slip or other band problems that are not caused by user error.  My slip was not my fault, my surgeon confirmed that from the best of his knowledge.  (he wasn't my original surgeon) 

You are such a strong inspiration, and I KNOW youWILL be one of the 2 to 5% that keep weight off from dieting and having a healthier lifestyle.  I have no doubts!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Kate -True Brit
on 2/1/11 3:33 pm - UK

I am sorry you feel that you have to defend yourself. The vets on the board all remember how hard you tried to make the band work for you! And the vets also know Naomi!!

Hold you head high - you gave this your best shot!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active