Questions to ask my potential surgeon.....?

confusedturtle
on 2/1/11 9:58 am - Norfolk, VA
I used to read up and post on this board back in 2007, when I had my first referral.  I had started a list of questions to ask my surgeon but after my first consultation I decided to give it one last try at losing it myself.  Well that didn't work and here I am.  I wanted to share my list of questions, in hopes it might help someone else, and also find out if I missed something so I can add it to my list.  Here goes:

How many surgeries has this surgeon performed?   I don't want a newbie 
Is the surgeon Inamed certified?  This question was from back in 2007, change it? 
What are the 3 & 5 year success rates for this practice? 
What are your pre & post op dietary restrictions?  If none why?
Will surgery be inpatient or outpatient?  Where will it be performed?
How long does this surgery usualy last?
What is the process for prepping & recovering from surgery?  liquid restriction etc 
Does this practice/surgeon do only one type of WLS or a variety?  I want to make sure surgeon is looking out for my health not just lining his pockets 
How do you decide what type of WLS is best for each patient?
How do you decide which size band to use?
Do you have a nutritionalist on staff? 
How do you determine whether or not a patient needs a fill?  certain amount of weight lost not losing etc 
How do you do a fill?  Fluro or blind fill 
If fluro where are the fills done at and by whom?  Surgeon, staff etc 
How much do fills cost?  Unfills?
Where will my port be located?
Are there experienced "bandsters" on staff at this practice?
How often will I be seeing surgeon vs seeing his staff?
If a fill is too restrictive how soon can I bee seen for an unfill?  What if this were to occur on a Friday, Who do I contact?  How do I deal with this issue until I can be seen?
Is there someone I can contact after hours incase I have a problem?  At what point do I consider going to the ER?
I have read studies that have differing opinions on NSAIDs, what is your position on this?
Alternative pain meds?
Once surgery is done, how long until I can go for walks?  Drive?  Lift?  Work?  Exercise?  Sex?
I have heard of people having pain in their left ab area (post op) explain possible causes?  What do i do if I have these symptoms?  ER?
Advice on which type of WLS might best suit me?  How do you determine that?
Time from refferral to surgery?
How do you handle a slippage?  WHat are the symptoms to look out for?
What are the most common complications your patients have experienced?  How are they addressed?
What tecnique do you use for surgery?  Perigastric or pars flaccida perigastric has a higher rate of pouch dilation & intragastric migration than pars flaccida.    
I have read there is a type that can go thru the belly button, are there any other risks involved with this?  Better success?  How could that affect possible plastic surgery down the road?

I know that there are a ton of questions here and Im not planning to grill the doctor with all of these questions at one time but I think they would be helpful valid questions.  Am I missing something here, should I add questions or are there some that just do not belong?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 
Most Active