Help from you WW experts (calculating points with sugar alcohols)

Thundergrrrl
on 1/31/11 9:14 pm
Can you help me? If you've been doing WW and are familiar with the new points plus thing, I need to input protein, carbs, fiber, and fat for any food I want to calculate. But if I'm eating an atkins granola bar for example that has "18 grams" of carbs but "3 net carbs" due to sugar alcohols and fiber being subtracted, which one do I use? It makes a big difference in the points value of the food.

Thanks!

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 10:16 pm - Des Moines, IA
Hi, maybe Kath will see this and help you out. She has been doing WW for a long time.

I just started up a week ago and I'm counting the "old" way since they didn't have a points calculator.  I have done WW since 2001 on and off, so I have the old points calculators etc.  I will follow the old way until I get that calculator.  I'm so happy I decided to start keeping track of points, following my "band way of eating", but being honest in my food journal and not eating sliders.  I actually lost 6 pounds since a week ago Monday.  I'm in shock, because it took my 5 months to lose 10 pounds.  I knew it was because I was eating more than I needed.  I just decided it was time to get to goal and then maintain.
So sorry I can't help you out, you could go on the WW board and post your question.  They have a lot of different boards  you could post it on.  I just wouldn't mention you have the band.  I'm sure they would help you.
cpc
on 2/1/11 12:27 am - NJ
 Hi,
My name is Colette.
I just joined WW last Fri. with the new points plus.
I've been following it since Fri and have not lost a pound.
I don't know if it is tooo much food. They gave me a total 29points
plus a weekly extra 49 which i haven't used any.
What am I doing wrong?
I lost a total of 115lbs. 
But for the last year I was sick and they had to take fills out and I was
on prednazone which I gained 45lbs back. I am so depressed.
I'm off the prednazone and they gave me a fill of 3cc in a 10 band. I do have
restriction. I don't even get the 29 points in.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/11 12:46 am - Des Moines, IA
It would be hard to say without seeing exactly what you are eating and how much fluid you are drinking and how much exercise etc.  You could post a new thread and ask for suggestions.  I'm still doing the "old" way of counting until I get my calculator.  I'm not eating all of my "daily" points, usually 2-3 less.  And none of the weekly or activity points.
kathkeb
on 2/1/11 1:06 am
I count the higher number ----- sugar alcohols do 'a number' on me (and personally I don't think that those foods are very good for us) so, I count them as high as they are.

You can go either way, I suppose -- if you count the lower number, and you are not losing weight, then go by the higher number and see how you do.

Kath

Thundergrrrl
on 2/1/11 11:44 am
Thanks. I had written back this morning from my droid but the reply got eaten. So, I was trying to say...

"I don't get any digestive issues from the sugar alcohols and I find these granola bars with 17 grams of protein to be lifesavers for me when I'm busy, traveling, or so hungry I can't make an otherwise healthy decision."

On top of that I was reading my WW getting started material and there was definitely something about adjusting the points calculations for things with sugar alcohols cause they don't affect blood sugar. But it didn't give exact instructions. So I think I'll try it that way - subtracting the sugar alcohols but not the fiber from the total carb count since fiber gets factored in and I wouldn't want to double count it.

I'm a little concerned because after my first 2 days on WW I have been easily able to eat my 31 points, plus fruits, and a couple of my bonus weekly points. And I got a fill 10 days ago! Well, sometimes I am looser after fills up until 2 weeks out and then it hits me so we'll see. I have put my scale away so I won't know the results of my first week on WW till Monday.  

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

OzzieGirl
on 2/1/11 4:20 am - NY
Lap Band on 11/16/10 with
You count the total carbs, total fats, etc. I was banded in November, but have been a WW member, well...forever! Right now, I have 34 points and I'm only eating about 19. I think that the new program is great. Just remember that the "No PointsPlus Foods" still have calories. Good luck to you!!
OzzieGirl             
Most Active