Running with 305.8lbs...

Lauran D.
on 1/31/11 9:10 am - Apex, NC
...Isn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I started the Couch to 5k program today and let me tell you it was a very positive experience. 

I recently discovered that there is a small gym in the same building as my job and we are welcome to use it, so I gave myself a little head start by walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill during my lunch break.  By the time I got home, ate my meal and took the dogs out, I was ready for some action, for I had a date with Couch to 5k. 

I was not able to run in the 60 second intervals for the entire 30 minutes, but I was able to complete the intervals for the first 17 minutes and ended up doing a 13 minute mile I finished the 30 minutes with a total of 1.5 miles and a great big smile on my face.  I am so pumped!!

THAT is how I moved my butt today!  Oh yes!

reneekennedy11
on 1/31/11 9:18 am - CA
You rock girl!!!! It will all get easier from here!
Lauran D.
on 1/31/11 9:37 am - Apex, NC
Thank you ma'am!
adorkbl
on 1/31/11 9:30 am
Awesome. WTG!!

I love the C25K program. I am starting back up on it end of this week. Woot! Woot!

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Lauran D.
on 1/31/11 9:47 am - Apex, NC
HIGH FIVE!  Please keep me posted on your progress
Wendybrum
on 1/31/11 10:15 am - Oceanside, NY
 Woohoo
wendy

pam57
on 1/31/11 10:29 am - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
 WOW,  I am impressed.  Today was my first day with the Couch to 5K program too.  I don't think I really ran but I shuffled really fast.  I switched to fast walking on intervals 2 through 9.  I ended up with 1.39 miles in the 31 minutes.  I am still pooped.  I ended up dripping wet and bright red.  I think I will probably be doing day 1 for a while (a long while)

I'm pretty happy with myself (just joining the gym today was a big victory for me).

I think I should be looking for the reclining bon bon lounger to 5K program first, I think it will be a little time before I work myself up to the couch.

Good job

Pam

Lauran D.
on 1/31/11 10:16 pm - Apex, NC
Hi Pam!  I think that making the decision to not run for the hills when starting a new program that involves running is more than a valiant effort.  A month ago I know that I would have laughed heartily in the face of someone suggesting that I try running.    I also think that I'll be on the first week for a while, and it may take me longer than 9 months to get up to 5k, but slow and steady wins the race.  

Congrats on joining the gym and High Five for diving right in to an intense program!
pam57
on 2/2/11 12:25 pm - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
 Hi Lauren,

Do your shins hurt?  My shins are killing me and my thighs feel like they have knives in them.  I repeated the day 1 again yesterday  but went a little longer and a tiny bit slower on the run sections and today I am dying.  I couldn't make it to the gym today.  I'm living on Tylenol.  I'm going back tomorrow but ouch, I can't figure out why my shins hurt so bad.

Pam

Lauran D.
on 2/2/11 10:27 pm - Apex, NC
Hi Pam,

Yessss!  My little shins and ankles hurt.  I also repeated the first day and for some reason this time was a lot harder for me.  I just couldn't run as much as I did the first day.  The pain may be from the impact of running?  I'd even thought of alternating between the treadmill and the eliptical during the training, just to ease the pounding on my joints.  Maybe that will help?  I've already decided that I'll definitely still be on week one next week, and maybe the week after that.  As the weeks progress, so does the amount of time that you're running, so this little girl is going to stay put for the time being.

Most Active