When did you go on solid food and when was your first fill?

KathyS39
on 1/31/11 2:05 am - St Pete Beach, FL
Hello everyone, 

I have been doing really well this last week and am 25 days post-op.  I am moving to solid foods shortly but find that, all of a sudden, I am sooooooo hungry!  Can anyone share with me when they started on solid foods and when they had their first fill? 

Thanks!
Kathy Allen

steelerfan1
on 1/31/11 2:45 am
I had my surgery on 11/22 and by Christmas I was back to eating all normal foods . No restrictions on anything as long as I could eat it .

I have not had my first fill yet  Im two months post op

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 5:42 am
I went on solid foods @ 4 weeks out -- gosh were they ever good after so long on liquids and soft stuff. The only caution my nutritionist gave me was to not start of my solids with a steak.

At 6 weeks out I was offered my first fill but I passed on it because I was losing weight and the band felt tight enough. Then BAM about a week later that feeling went away and I needed a fill.

Trixie
adorkbl
on 1/31/11 7:35 am, edited 1/31/11 7:36 am
My surgery was on 01|17|08, my first fill (2cc) was 02|29|08.

I ate my first "real food" on 02|08|08. 5oz of salmon & 1/2 steamed brocolli. I was not one of the "lucky ones" who got restricion from the surgery alone. Luckily, I didn't feel a lot of hunger. I drastically changed my diet and cut out sugars and was eating low carb. That helped keep me satisfied.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Lisaizme
on 1/31/11 8:37 pm - TX
I was on soft solids (tuna salad, chicken salad) by two weeks from surgery.

My doctor doesn't do first fills any earlier than 6 weeks.  Mine was actually 7 or 8 weeks due to scheduling problems.

If you're thinking/hoping that your first fill may help the hunger issue.. it might, then again it might not.  It's very individual and often can take 3 or more fills to reach the point where appetite is under better control.

What has happened (probably) is that the swellng has gone down from the surgery and therefore you no longer feel as full.  Keep up with your water and increase your activity a little.  Both will help.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

KathyS39
on 2/1/11 12:46 pm - St Pete Beach, FL
Thank you all for your replies.  I continue to have questions and really appreciate the feedback!
Kathy Allen

Most Active