A thought for former bandsters to ponder

Lynn C
on 1/31/11 5:10 am
apples and oranges

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 5:17 am
 Yes, but a parable.

MM
Lynn C
on 1/31/11 5:20 am
No, not really.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 5:34 am
 Why not?  From Wikipedia:  The word "parable" comes from the Greek παραβολή (parabolē), meaning "comparison, illustration, analogy"

A parable is an example given to illustrate a particular point, is it not?  

I think there are a lot of very personal feelings, and old issues regarding the former bandsters who come to this forum with a very negative approach.  I gave this example to hopefully make you think of it in a different way.  

MM
Lynn C
on 1/31/11 6:38 am
In order for a comparison to have any value you must compare like items - to say "My dog barks louder than my cat" doesn't make any sense because cats don't bark.

From Wikipedia: 

For a comparison of parable with other kinds of stories, see Myth, legend, fairy tale, and fable.

Or

A comparison of apples and oranges occurs when two items or groups of items are compared that cannot be validly compared.

The idiom comparing apples and oranges, refers to the apparent differences between items which are popularly thought to be incomparable or incommensurable, such as apples and oranges. The idiom may also be used to indicate that a false analogy has been made between two items, such as where an apple is faulted for not being a good orange.

Lynn C ~

Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 6:57 am
 For someone who is obviously intelligent, it's a shame you choose to miss my point.  

MM
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 5:44 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I agree with this, everyone is not a good candidate for each perspective surgery, each and everyone's body's anatomy is different and how they respond to different medications, diseases, cancers, etc. This is why PRE OP TESTING IS DONE.  But the sad FACT many that paid cash, about 95 percent of those who has experienced band complications and removal NEVER had the pre op testing that it requires SADLY.  Money talks, surgeons will skip through pre op testing if the patient insists, but those who go through insurance has to pass a physiological exam (which many don't have to do if they go to Mexico for surgery) the vast majority of newly Sleeved people are now flocking there for their Sleeve surgeries it used to be lap bands and most of those patients have slipped their bands due to poor aftercare and followup and other horrific infections and other problems due to not having adequate aftercare that the band REQUIRES and it is VERY difficult for those who got bands in Mexico to get good aftercare now those people are now flocking to Mexico to get their bands removed and get the Sleeve.

There were a few that went through proper channels and suffered complications from the band, but those who suffered complications had severe vomiting daily (from being too tight) that ruined their esophagus or slipped their bands. 

One bandster PM'd me one day and said gee you still have your band gong on 6 years? As if that was something strange, I replied yea, I honestly feel I will go to my grave with it, I don't have any ill effects, no pain, I have proper restriction, I don't do daily vomiting I told her I take care of my band and I always have and so far so good.

And to say that everyone with the Lap band will suffer complications and have their bands removed in 5-10 years and we are all doomed because OTHERS CHOSE to keep their band dangerously too tight for long periods of time and suffer complications is pure ludicrous.

The Lap band is the ONLY weight loss surgery where we have a CHOICE in how tight our restriction is ....AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM and the number one cause of band removal.

eclectikat
on 1/31/11 6:27 am - Canada
Thanks Nana.

I appreciate the positive feed back about the band. There does not seem to be alot around, but numbers don't lie.

I also appreciate both sides of the coin equally. But I wont be offended when one side is a bit overzealous. That is what bad experiences can do for us. I am still glad to partake in all this dialogue.

I think most people who have good experiences with WLS just move on in life, and really don't have time to be here... While I want to support others. I want to have WLS so I can get busy reliving my life. I have alot to do.

This board is a resource and I will treat it as such. Even though I am a newbie Please know everyone that those jaded people are just a part of our learning process here.

Kathy
MARIA F.
on 1/31/11 12:54 pm - Athens, GA
On January 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM Pacific Time, eclectikat wrote:
Thanks Nana.

I appreciate the positive feed back about the band. There does not seem to be alot around, but numbers don't lie.

I also appreciate both sides of the coin equally. But I wont be offended when one side is a bit overzealous. That is what bad experiences can do for us. I am still glad to partake in all this dialogue.

I think most people who have good experiences with WLS just move on in life, and really don't have time to be here... While I want to support others. I want to have WLS so I can get busy reliving my life. I have alot to do.

This board is a resource and I will treat it as such. Even though I am a newbie Please know everyone that those jaded people are just a part of our learning process here.

Kathy

I don't think u would be thanking "nana" if u knew what she is really like. She has been very rude and nasty to numerous forum members on here. She has also been the same way with her former co-workers, starting all kind of rumors about them!

Also...........let me point out that "nana" said just a few mos. ago that she didn't think she lost her weight b/c of the band. She said she lost it b/c she got addicted to exercise!

FormerlyFluffy.com

eclectikat
on 1/31/11 12:58 pm - Canada
NO REALLY.... I MEAN MY THANK YOU.... is everyone here so G^% DAMN *****Y.... maybe you guys are all just Hungry.... SERIOUSLY... im here looking for information not to listen to people ***** about each other... I get enough of that in real life... GROW UP!

NANA.... I MEAN IT... THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORDS!!!!
KATHY
Most Active