A thought for former bandsters to ponder

Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 4:31 am
I posted this to one person, but would like to open this topic up for others to consider:

If someone has breast cancer, they have several options for treatment.  Some people opt for lumpectomy, some get radiation/chemo, some get full or partial mastectomy.  They make that decision with the help of their doctors, research, and their own needs/wants.  Sometimes that treatment doesn't work.  Should they then go around telling every other cancer patient that they shouldn't get that treatment because it didn't work for them?  

I would hope they would share their story, while being supportive of what ever treatment is chosen. Being "supportive" doesn't have to mean agreeing with someone's choice.

MM

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/31/11 5:00 am - Mexico

If the treatment shows to be ineffective long term with an 88% complication rate and there are far better treatment options, yes.  I would suggest they get a treatment that shows far superior long term stats.

Would you go to a doctor that only provides one treatment option for cancer patients? 

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 6:16 am
"If the treatment shows to be ineffective long term with an 88% complication rate and there are far better treatment options, yes.  I would suggest they get a treatment that shows far superior long term stats".

So, let's suppose that for whatever reason, that even with the benefit of your statistics, and the bad experience you shared, that person decides to go with the treatment anyway.  Maybe they've seen different statistics, or question how the statistics were presented.  Maybe there were other reasons that influenced their decision.  But the decision is made.  Wouldn't you want to lend a hand rather than constantly telling them that they made the wrong choice?  I'd guess that for every pre-op on this site, there are 100 post op patients who need to stay focused and positive about their choice of weight loss treatment.  

There is nothing wrong with telling about your experiences, and offering information to help a pre-op make an informed decision.  Just keep in mind that many, many people read this forum, most of whom already made their decision.  

MM 
WASaBubbleButt
on 2/16/11 12:30 am - Mexico
On January 31, 2011 at 2:16 PM Pacific Time, Born Lucky wrote:
"If the treatment shows to be ineffective long term with an 88% complication rate and there are far better treatment options, yes.  I would suggest they get a treatment that shows far superior long term stats".

So, let's suppose that for whatever reason, that even with the benefit of your statistics, and the bad experience you shared, that person decides to go with the treatment anyway.  Maybe they've seen different statistics, or question how the statistics were presented.  Maybe there were other reasons that influenced their decision.  But the decision is made.  Wouldn't you want to lend a hand rather than constantly telling them that they made the wrong choice?  I'd guess that for every pre-op on this site, there are 100 post op patients who need to stay focused and positive about their choice of weight loss treatment.  

There is nothing wrong with telling about your experiences, and offering information to help a pre-op make an informed decision.  Just keep in mind that many, many people read this forum, most of whom already made their decision.  

MM 

Yes, Tami... and that is EXACTLY what I do.  Always have, always will.  You seem to consistently miss those posts.

Zee Starrlite
on 1/31/11 5:05 am, edited 1/31/11 5:08 am
This is a sick post!  CANCER treatment and WLS treatment?  Simply sick to compare the two. 

Many cancer patients do not have options!!!  Some can't just have lumpectomies. 

Go**** really getting ridiculous over here.

Look at  my old post 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4304076/PLEASE-RESPON D-Explain-your-Lap-Band-AGB-Experience/#35460789.  

This was no Band bashing, but it is lopsided ain't it?  I am not against anyone with the Band BUT people should be informed and dissatisfied bandsters or Ex-Bandsters WILL NOT DESPITE ALL OF THESE PITIFUL POSTS STOP INFORMING!!!

YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY NOW!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Born Lucky
on 1/31/11 5:15 am
 I am so sorry I made you so angry.  That really wasn't my intention.  

The point is, obviously, that for just about any medical issue, there are treatment choices.  Why can't those be respected?  

MM
WASaBubbleButt
on 2/16/11 12:31 am - Mexico
On January 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, Born Lucky wrote:
 I am so sorry I made you so angry.  That really wasn't my intention.  

The point is, obviously, that for just about any medical issue, there are treatment choices.  Why can't those be respected?  

MM

Tami...

Why are you signing your posts as MM?

Born Lucky
on 2/16/11 2:49 am
 Because I had deactivated my account, and came back as "Mirror_Mirror".  I had hoped to come back "anonymously" without old alliances and enemies getting in the way of positive support.  But, that's very difficult to do around here.  The only reason this thread was revived was because it was the only post of mine that Maria could find that (in her opinion) makes me look bad.  If I still had my old posting history, she'd still be looking.  But, I 'fessed up yesterday, and still stand behind my words, whatever my screen name is.

Tami
WASaBubbleButt
on 2/16/11 3:10 am - Mexico
On February 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Pacific Time, Born Lucky wrote:
 Because I had deactivated my account, and came back as "Mirror_Mirror".  I had hoped to come back "anonymously" without old alliances and enemies getting in the way of positive support.  But, that's very difficult to do around here.  The only reason this thread was revived was because it was the only post of mine that Maria could find that (in her opinion) makes me look bad.  If I still had my old posting history, she'd still be looking.  But, I 'fessed up yesterday, and still stand behind my words, whatever my screen name is.

Tami

I didn't realize you had any enemies unless you consider those who post journal articles your enemy.

Do you really think lying about who you are... repeatedly, is the way to win friends?

I don't think this thread makes you look bad, bashing Maria over the head for daring to post about a Starbucks menu option that was WLS friendly might not have been wise but this thread only makes you look if'fy if you don't respond to valid points posted to you.

like... towards the end.

Look, people like you accuse people like me of bashing the band and causing board drama.  I outlined what *I* do, I post studies.  Seriously, you believe this is bashing the band.  YOU have accused me of not supporting people with a band and slam dunking them for having a band. Show me ONE post where I have done that.  You said I tell people they are stupid for having a band, that is a flat out lie.  I have never done such a thing.  Then you guys start a hundred threads telling people like ME that WE are causing drama!

I'm over it.  I'm not going to sit back and take it anymore.  Tami, you have made a slew of accusations.  With all due and sincere respect, please show me where I have done ANY of these things or apologize for posting information that is flat out incorrect.

If you are posting truth you shouldn't have any shame in what you post, true?  If you aren't doing what you accuse everyone else of doing there should be no emabarrassment, right?  The constant new IDs isn't helping your cause.

MARIA F.
on 2/14/11 1:48 pm - Athens, GA
On January 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, zee starrlite wrote:
This is a sick post!  CANCER treatment and WLS treatment?  Simply sick to compare the two. 

Many cancer patients do not have options!!!  Some can't just have lumpectomies. 

Go**** really getting ridiculous over here.

Look at  my old post 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4304076/PLEASE-RESPON D-Explain-your-Lap-Band-AGB-Experience/#35460789.  

This was no Band bashing, but it is lopsided ain't it?  I am not against anyone with the Band BUT people should be informed and dissatisfied bandsters or Ex-Bandsters WILL NOT DESPITE ALL OF THESE PITIFUL POSTS STOP INFORMING!!!

YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY NOW!

I agree with you completely on this one! Tami is being ridiculous again!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active