Port Incision Infection - Any Ideas?

mary101678
on 1/30/11 8:08 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Took off the band aid from my last fill and port site looked kind of red and puffy and hurt. Cleaned it up a bit and put on a new band aid. This morning, changed the band-aid and discovered the incision had opened, was oozing and had a small amount of pus in it. I removed the pus, put on some Neosporin, and a new band-aid. Tried to go to a walk in clinic, but the place was absolutley jammed.

Will call local MD on Monday.

I hope I don't have to have this port removed. Surgeon told me that I had very little fat on the outside of the abdominal wall, with most of it on the inside, and that my ab wall is very thin...
Good grief!

Anyonen else wih this same problem?

Thanks!

Mary

JoMixx
on 1/30/11 8:56 am - West Yarmouth, MA
Hi- is it possible it's a "spitting stitch"  How long ago did your band get put in?  I know that the inside stitches can work their way out.  I had foot surgery last year and had an inside stitch pop out (5 weeks after surgery!) it looked like a candle wick coming out the top of my foot.  My daughter also had one spit on her shoulder and it finally worked it's way out. 

To avoid scarring, if it is an inside stitch that's popping out, you really should have it looked at. 
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
mary101678
on 1/30/11 10:02 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Hi:
I was banded on Dec 7, 2010, about a month and a half ago. It seemed to feel kind of tender right after my first fill on January 20.

I am going to have my local MD take a look at this tomorrow, and if I need to get back to the surgeon, I will do that...
I did see weird wirey looking threads popping up in  a couple of incisiion, but my port incision has always been a little more tender....

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Mary

svera
on 1/30/11 12:31 pm - Long Beach, CA
 the port tends to stay tender for much longer than the other incisions. have you had any fever?
   Sara Vera                  
mary101678
on 1/30/11 9:23 pm - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
No fever. Just called my primary MD. Told me to call surgeon... MD didn't want to touch it.

Most Active