Got a Date Need Advice

vpurplej
on 1/29/11 6:27 am - Gray, GA
Tricare has approved my procedure and my surgery is scheduled for February 17th.  I am trying to prepare my body and my mind for the eating habits I will have to adopt by counting my protein, minimizing sugar and other simple starches, and drinking one protein shake a day.  Does anyone have other advice as to how I can prepare for surgery in any way.

MomTo3Ds
on 1/29/11 6:35 am

Congratulations on the date. I'm not a soda drinker, but I'd reduce the amount I drank, or cold turkey stop now. Also drink plenty of water, so you'll get used to consuming 64 oz.

I had to follow the SBD for several months prior to surgery. It helped put my mind in the right mindeset, for after banding.

I too have Tricare and am now receiving bills. Good luck on this journey.

-Mari-
on 1/29/11 6:39 am
Mom to 3 D's, why are you receiving bills? Tricare usually pays for all of it. Make sure and get referrals after your initial 3 follow ups for future appointments.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
MomTo3Ds
on 1/29/11 6:51 am
I'm getting bills for my pre-op labs, x-ray, etc. I'll get it sorted out. It's just a hassle.
-Mari-
on 1/29/11 6:37 am
Congrats on getting approved. My suggestions are read read and read some more. LOL Even on this site to the right of this page, the articles in blue, you can click on them.  Maybe get Jeans book, go to the library see what they have, google it, you can never have too much information. Does your surgeon have support group meetings? If so maybe go, now, you will learn a lot from them. Of course ask any questions you may think of here, good luck!!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 6:39 am - Norfolk, VA
Im a newbie and wanted to congratulate you on getting a date and preparing for the changes.  I am also tricare, any advice for me?  I am 33, BMI of 42 and have been overweight for 13 years, BMI over 40 for 3 years    How was your process for getting the surgery?  What were your steps from referral to now?  My first visit & hopefully a referral will be Tuesday, Im just trying to see where I stand and how long it might take.  Any and all info is greatly appreciated 
MomTo3Ds
on 1/29/11 6:56 am
The process was a bit longer for me, as we aren't by a post. Once I got my evaluation, labs, x-ray, it went pretty fast. I already had a sleep study done within 6 months, so I was good to go there.
After my referral, I had the seminar about 1 1/2 months later. The rest is history..so to speak.  
vpurplej
on 1/29/11 8:10 am - Gray, GA
The main thing is to make sure tricare has all of your required documentation.  Once my doctor's office submitted it it only took about 2 weeks for approval.  Also, I would call tricare's 800 number after your surgery to find out how many visits you have.

MomTo3Ds
on 1/30/11 7:01 am
Great information. I'm use to calling Tricare asking questions.
LONGLIFE
on 1/29/11 6:52 am - BROOKLYN, NY
Congrats on ur approval. What I did to prepare myself for the pre-op/post op stage I bought a protien shake mix and tried it to see if I would like it. I tried different ones. I cut out drinking soda , if i wanted soda i would just drink a half cup. I started taking my time chewing my food and not drinking while i eat to prepare for whats to come later. good luck
Most Active