Death from Lap-band surgery

MimiLove73
on 1/30/11 5:20 am - CA
I've decided to add this topic because I think its what my sister would want people to know.  My sister, Ana, had a lap-band surgery on February 3, 2010 in Beverly Hills, California.  Unfortunately, she had complications that lead to her death on February 14, 2010.  Doctors in the ER and ICU said she had fluids leaking from somewhere in her abdominal area.  She had a hard time breathing and was in severe paid.  After the first cardiac arrest she was intubated and was no longer conscious for the remainder of her hospital stay.  She had extremely HIGH fever, high blood pressure, sepsis, renal failure, and brain activity was lost.  She passed away very early in the morning of February 14, 2010.  She had the surgery and looked forward to having a healthy life.  I miss her every day and wish I could have done research with her before she had this high-risk surgery which is made out to seem simple and safe. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 5:27 am - Colleyville, TX
I am so sorry for the loss of your sister.  All weight loss surgeries are major surgeries and should be treated that way.  Thanks for the reminder.

Kelli
MimiLove73
on 1/30/11 5:29 am - CA
Thanks...good luck on your weight loss.  God bless  you.
Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/11 5:27 am - UK

I am so sorry to hear of this. No-one should minimise the risks of any surgical procedure and the morbidly obese are a particularly high risk group. Lapband is described, even by its opponents, as the least risky surgery, but that does not mean it is no-risk.

My sincere commiserations for your loss.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MimiLove73
on 1/30/11 5:30 am - CA
Thank you.  Good luck on  your weight loss and GOD bless you.
steelerfan1
on 1/30/11 5:31 am
I am very sorry about your sister .  Like the others have said any kind of surgery is risky especially for us heavier people it's even more risky .

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family right now

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jean M.
on 1/30/11 5:36 am
Revision on 08/16/12
That's very sad, a terrible loss.

For the sake of clarity, though, I have to say that adjustable gastric band surgery is not statistically a procedure with a high risk of.surgical mortality. But as Kate said, every surgery poses risks and morbidly obese people are at higher risk of death and complications no matter what kind of surgery they have.

Jean 

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

DeniseB.
on 1/30/11 5:42 am - IN
So sorry for the loss of your sister.  Have you guys questioned the surgeon?  Short of medical error, there isn't any part of the lap band that should cause fluid leakage into the abdomen. 

Denise
340/319/216/155

Judy825
on 1/30/11 6:05 am - Jacksonville, FL
I am so sorry for your families loss.   I remember reading about her death and another from the same clinic there.  No one should have to live though that.
        Seminar weight: 344. Consult Weight: 332.  Surgery Weight: 289   
Check out my blog at www.ldslapband.blogspot.com

"Low Carb diet for me...not a diet anymore but a lifestyle"

reneekennedy11
on 1/30/11 7:39 am - CA
I am so extremely sorry for you loss! I cannot imagine how you feel! Who was your sisters surgeon? Did she have her surgery at the Beverly Hills Surgery Center by chance?
Most Active