The End of Overeating.

rainbow_runner
on 1/28/11 4:09 am, edited 1/28/11 7:33 am

The End of Overeating - Taking Control of the Insatiable North American Appetite
by David A. Kessler, MD

One of the best books you'll ever read on what corporations put in our food to make us want MORE. Quite the eye-opener for those of us (and that would be most of us) who wish we could band our heads at the same time we band our stomachs. Here's an interesting excerpt:

Sometimes just one taste of food - a single dose - is enough to trigger conditioned hypereating. We call that effect "priming" and it's another way to kick overeating behavior into action, even when we're not hungry.

That's what the food industry knows when it tells us "Bet you can't eat just one." It's what Alcoholics Anonymous recognizes when it warns drinkers, "One drink, one drunk." A small quantity can be enough to generate a large response.

If you only read one book (besides Jean's, that is), it should be this one. We are all food addicts for a reason, and WE ARE NOT AT FAULT. We are the victims of a profit-driven industry that doesn't give a rat's petootie how fat we get or whether we die at age 50 from diabetes and heart disease. If nothing else, this will empower you to TAKE CONTROL of what you put in your mouth to fuel your body. It won't be easy, but nothing worth having ever is.

And what this book proves yet again is that being addicted to sugar, fat & salt is no different than being addicted to alcohol or drugs. All of it affects EXACTLY the same area of the brain that provide the pleasure we get from those substances. There is NO difference. None.

kathkeb
on 1/28/11 4:27 am, edited 1/28/11 4:27 am
Agree -- Agree -- Agree!!

Listening to that book changed my life.

It is part of the reason that I cannot/do not have even 1 bite of certain foods.

My mouth gets them, and my brain goes nuts.  I go into a 'seek/destroy' mode that lasts too long.

Best for me to have none, than to try to control some.
Kath

rainbow_runner
on 1/28/11 7:28 am

Right on, Kath!  This book has made me positively militant about what foods I will NOT eat.  Which, thankfully, has made developing wonderful new eating habits sooo much easier.

Actually, this book made me MAD.   We have been CONDITIONED from the get-go by food giants and fast-food conglomerates to want more and more of their processed crap.  Most of it isn't even real food - just a stew of chemicals that gives us a short-lived rush that keeps us going back for more and more.  There is absolutely no mystery why so many North American adults are obese, and this book explains how it happened in minute detail.

Jo 1962
on 1/28/11 6:08 am - NearHouston, TX

Thanks for posting this, Rainbow Runner.  I love to listen to audio books during my daily hour commute.  I was just now able to reserve
a copy of it from the county library here & should get it in a couple of days.  Can't wait to listen to it!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

rainbow_runner
on 1/28/11 7:31 am

Hey Jolena - excellent idea!  I've never listened to an audio book - must try that myself!

coachgrrl
on 1/28/11 8:17 am
 Thanks!

I'm putting it on my TBR list

Cheryl N.
on 1/29/11 1:51 am, edited 1/29/11 1:52 am - Des Moines, WA
Glad it is available in NOOK format so added that to my list to buy. Thanks!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active