Feeling Under the Weather

OzzieGirl
on 1/29/11 9:18 pm - NY
Lap Band on 11/16/10 with
Morning -

For the past three days my sinuses are stuffed and my throat is scratchy with post-nasal drip. (Sorry if you're having your breakfast.)

I had my surgery on November 16th. What can I take? Worried about taking a pill. Should I wait until tomorrow to call my surgeon for an antibiotic?

Drinking lots of tea...... 
OzzieGirl             
steelerfan1
on 1/30/11 12:15 am
I take thera flu or any kind of liquid.  My doc said there wanst anything I couldnt take , even though I havent had trouble with pills as of right now I still buy things in liquid form  rather be safe then sorry .

I was really sick a couple weeks ago and I took Nyquil and I had no problems with it .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/11 2:12 am - UK

Most docs these days allow us to take any meds. At 2 months out all post-op swelling will have gone and you are unlikely to have much restricition so swallowing a tab should not be an issue. However, anti-bios are often quite large and one of our regulars (JeanM) had a very nasty epsiode and ended up in ER when an anti-bio cap dissolved above the band. So you may be sensible to ask for liquid or dispersible meds.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cheryl K.
on 1/30/11 3:05 am
Just to be on the safe side, I take larger pills with slider food or thicker liquids and on an empty pouch.  I might eat something afterwards, but I try to make sure things like pills are not going to be in the pouch long enough to dissolve.  Yogurt or applesauce are good sliders for pills, I think.  Most harsher medications are designed to get into the upper intestine before they start to dissolve, and that slows down for us with a double-stomach system.  Otherwise, I don't have any problem taking my zyrtec D or thyroid pill.  I do use a chewable vitamin just because it's the easiest way to make sure it doesn't get stuck.  I also tend to use my morning coffee to wash pills down, which is another way to make sure the stoma is relaxed.

Just think about the way you anatomy works and use logic.  Some pills just aren't tolerated on an empty stomach and they are the ones you don't want hanging around in the pouch.  Try to take it when you know it will get below the pouch the easiest and quickest and you should be fine.  BTW, with mucus you can get a tight stoma, so a warm drink like coffee, tea or even warm water before attempting to swallow a pill  is a good idea. 

Hope you feel better soon.
Cheryl K.

NCB1997
on 1/30/11 2:28 am
I have the same thing. I am taking thera flu liquid. I waited a week and of course it got worse. I put a call into the doctor and am taking a antibiotic now. My primary talked to the surgeon and they put me on levaquin. Pretty strong stuff. But I guess it is better to be safe. I only have to take 1 per day.
I didn't have to go in, they just called the pharmacy. I wish I had not waited so long. My band is super tight and I am scheduled for a fill on Friday. I just have to watch what I eat this week. Of course creamed soups go down well.
Hope you feel better soon!
Nancy B.    
OzzieGirl
on 1/30/11 6:49 am - NY
Lap Band on 11/16/10 with
Thanks so much for the great advice!! I took a Sudafed; the pill is super tiny and it helped. Will call my surgeon in the morning just to see what he says. Have a great night!!
OzzieGirl             
Most Active