hadn't thought about this....?

TamaraL
on 1/29/11 9:35 pm
with the band you cant take NSAIDS.  You  can with the sleeve.  If you are a volume eater then the sleeve will limit the amount of food you have in your stomach and you will have restriction from day 1.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/11 5:24 am - UK

Just a point of fact - the original advice not to take NSAIDs was changed a couple of years ago. The earlier advice was a just-in-case  thing - then docs found that no studies showed any potential problems over and above the normal risks associated with them for everyone.

A few docs still restrict them but they are in the minority.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

TamaraL
on 1/30/11 6:27 am
Kate,

I had my band in January 2009 until October 2010.  My surgeon said the whole time I could not take NSAIDS.  I have not heard in the U.S. that they have changed the guidelines that you can take NSAIDS with the band.  Interesting. 

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/11 7:22 am - UK

Hi, Tamara, I obviously don't know about the US from personal experience but whenever this comes up (as it does fairly often) most people post to say that their docs allow them. But clearly we all need to do as our own docs tell us.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

confusedturtle
on 1/30/11 1:01 pm - Norfolk, VA
Thank you everyone for all of the advice.  I see my regular doc, hopefully to get my referral, on Tuesday.  I will ask her then and if she cannot give me an answer I will ask the surgeon when I see him/her.  That will definitely be the first question I will ask because it is the only thing that could sway my decision right now.  After everything I have read I feel that I would be more comfortable with lap band surgery, but if my meds will be an issue then I will have to reconsider.  My husband feels the same way right now.  Im thinking that meds may not be an issue because losing the wieght will probably help out my back alot.  Thanks again you are all awesome and I value all of your opinions and all of the info you have given me  
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/30/11 1:00 pm - Mexico
On January 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Pacific Time, TamaraL wrote:
Kate,

I had my band in January 2009 until October 2010.  My surgeon said the whole time I could not take NSAIDS.  I have not heard in the U.S. that they have changed the guidelines that you can take NSAIDS with the band.  Interesting. 

You can take NSAIDs with a band.

It is old thinking that NSAIDs caused erosion, today we know that isn't true.  Just bypass can't take them.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active