hadn't thought about this....?

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/29/11 8:45 am - Mexico
When I was banded I had a really hard time with salads and raw veggies. It just didn't go down and usually came up. :o/ I have no food intolerances with my sleeve other than Choco milk. I really don't know what the deal is with that.

Sleeves... it is common to be lactose intolerant with a sleeve but it's usually very short lived, just a month or two.

Don't look at what is least or most invasive, that's not how to look at it. Least invasive does not mean safer and in the case of sleeves and bands, while sleeves are more invasive they are also much safer long term than banding.

I am not good about vitamins AT ALL. But I should be taking a multivitamin twice daily (just as all WLS folks) and Calcium 500mg 3x a day but not because of surgery, but because of being female. And I take Vit D but again, not because of surgery but because my vit D levels are very low as are most of the US population.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
steelerfan1
on 1/29/11 9:11 am
I think everybody is so different on whatever surgery they have .  Eating this or eating that .  I can eat breads and they are not a problem for me at all .

The only thing I got sick on and it was 100% my fault was homemade beef jerky love the stuff lol.

I ate some and then I took a big swig of water big mistake lol that baby came back up but like I said it was my fault I ate way to fast and then drank half a bottle of water on top of it yikes I learned the hard way but it Ilearned a lesson from it also .

I dont know why certain people can eat foods and certain people cant. I have not experienced anything yet that I can not eat .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/29/11 2:20 pm - Mexico
On January 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM Pacific Time, steelerfan1 wrote:
I think everybody is so different on whatever surgery they have .  Eating this or eating that .  I can eat breads and they are not a problem for me at all .

The only thing I got sick on and it was 100% my fault was homemade beef jerky love the stuff lol.

I ate some and then I took a big swig of water big mistake lol that baby came back up but like I said it was my fault I ate way to fast and then drank half a bottle of water on top of it yikes I learned the hard way but it Ilearned a lesson from it also .

I dont know why certain people can eat foods and certain people cant. I have not experienced anything yet that I can not eat .

With all due respect, you haven;t had a fill yet.

Wait until you are at good restriction, then get back to us.

steelerfan1
on 1/30/11 12:14 pm
On January 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:

I think Im at good restriction right now Bubbles, Im going 3-5 hrs without eating , and Im losing a average of 2 pounds per week.

If that isnt restriction then I dont know what is.

I dont know what kind of "good restriction" you are talking about  Im lost on those words.

Im not starving, Im not going hungry , the band is doing exactly what its suppose to do. 

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/30/11 1:03 pm - Mexico
On January 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM Pacific Time, steelerfan1 wrote:
On January 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:

I think Im at good restriction right now Bubbles, Im going 3-5 hrs without eating , and Im losing a average of 2 pounds per week.

If that isnt restriction then I dont know what is.

I dont know what kind of "good restriction" you are talking about  Im lost on those words.

Im not starving, Im not going hungry , the band is doing exactly what its suppose to do. 

Some people have a lot of gastric fat, meaning fat around their stomach.  As you lose weight you lose that gastric fat and you lose restriction.  That is why you need tweaking while you lose.

That was my point.  As you lose you will likely find that you need fills to maintain restriction.

Lynn C
on 1/29/11 9:14 am
When I was banded bread was a no no, pasta and rice were a sometimes, but anything with breading or breadcrumbs on it could cause problems, meat that wasn't under cooked could be problematic. The thing that bugged me the most as far as food goes was fruits and veggies - with skins was a big no no, I couldn't just grab and apple - it was very aggravating. I love to keep the skins on my fruits and veggies (now I can thank goodness).  I had/have no issues with dairy (with the band or the VSG).

Banding has the highest long term complication rate and reoperation stats can be as high as 75% at five years - that's not safer or less invasive in the long run.

I have a long list of studies on my blog that you should read if you are leaning towards the band.

Good luck!!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 1:28 pm - Norfolk, VA
Thank you I will check them out.  I have been looking up studies all day on the web and everywhere I can find them.  I think my doc visit this week is going to be filled with questions.  Thank you to everyone for all of the help with this.  You have all given me so many resources and information and personal experiences.  I appreciate all of your help with this.  I have to get off the computer for tonight, staring at this screen and reading is starting to give me a headache.  Have a great night everybody    And again, thank you fo reverything 
Lynn C
on 1/30/11 12:04 am
Good luck - the informed consumer makes the best choices.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/11 11:51 am - UK

I can and do eat everything!

Pills - the old advcie used to be no NSAIDs. That was  (or so I am told) a sort of just-in-case approach. No studies have supported this and so the advice now from the vast majority of docs is that we can take NSAIDs with the same level of care of any non-wls person. Check with yoru own doc.

There may however be an issue with taking pills. Even if not too tight, some of us (and I am one of these) cannot swallow pills. Even my tiny bp capsules will not go down but dissolve above teh band. So everything for me (but not for everyone) has to be crushed, dissolved or in liquid form..

But one plsu with the band is that some forms of chemo (for cancer etc) can not be given to those who have issues of malaborption. So bandsters have an advantage there! Loosen the band to allow pills through and we can take them!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 8:02 pm, edited 1/29/11 8:02 pm - alexandria, VA

I know several people personally that got RNy and the Sleeve and they BOTH are lactose intolerant and BOTH DUMP on carbs and other food unrelated to sweets, my friends that got the Sleeve over 2 years ago I have (5) did not know that you could dump on foods with the Sleeve this is why they chose the Sleeve over RNY because they did not want to dump on foods and have a poor quality of life and they all do now. Also 2 of my friends had a stricture that got the Sleeve and they thought that was more common with RNY. When we go out to happy hour and eat now they can't eat certain foods, they have to watch certain carbs and sweets otherwise they will get sick and have to go the bathroom and all of my friends are vitamin deficient with their Sleeve too something they thought only affect RNY patients.

They really don't regret their surgeries but they are not happy about the quality of their life at 2 years post op. I think you should read the complication board to really get an idea on what usually goes wrong with RNY, but the Sleeve is so new many are being quiet about their long term issues with it.

Me I am happy as a clam, my life is totally normal just about the same pre op the only thing difference is I eat less and wear a size 6-8

Most Active