hadn't thought about this....?

confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 5:25 am, edited 1/29/11 6:31 am - Norfolk, VA
Ok so Im still trying to decide which WLS is right for me, Im posting on the VSG and lapband boards so that I can get tons of opinions and testimonials and stuff.  After watching my moms fight with stomach stapling and RNY Im terrified of those and no offense to anyone who has had them, but I do not believe they are the right choice for me.  Reading alot of the posts have brought up even more questions for me that I hadn't even considered. 

Have you or anyone you know who has had lap band surgery developed any issues post surgery with eating or drinking dairy?  My mom underwent stomach stapling (80's) and RNY (90's) and became lactose intolerant.  She couldn't drink any milk or eat anything with any cheese, it was rough for her.  She had malabsorption issues and eventually developed osteoporosis and broke her hip, wrist and I believe caused many more issues for her.

Iam leaning mostly towards lap band, I am afraid of anything too invasive and very confident that all I need is restriction to help me lose the weight.  I have no problems eating healthy foods, I love to exercise but I eat too much food and slowly slow down on exercising and the weight comes back.  I am confident that once I lose it I will be able to maintain it, I just need help.  I am still researching VSG though because I want to make the best decision I can. 
So has anyone developed any issues with dairy or noticed excess gasiness, illness or pain etc (sorry TMI?) with certain things that never bothered them before?  Are there things that you used to enjoy that you can no longer have since WLS.  Im not talking about sweets, fried foods and stuff like that just worried about giving up foods I love like dairy, salads (not goopy with dressing, but I do like a serving of it ranch on my salad) and the occasional treat at bday parties and such.  Also I do have a glass of wine maybe once a week (usually every other week), I could give it up easily but if it isn't necessary...........

Any and all advice, suggestions, and info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks and have a great day 

edited: also are there any meds that you can't take after lap band surgery?  I have back issues, & arthritis and when my back goes out I have to take flexeril and (usually) a strong ibuprophen.  They have tried to get me to take stronger meds but since hubby is military and rarely around I refuse anything stronger so I can take care of the kids.  I am usually able to deal with pain pretty well, I have to be miserable to take anything.  Just incase I need them I thought I'd better ask.  Sorry for all of the questions, I see my doc this week and Im sure I will not have as many questions for everyone 

steelerfan1
on 1/29/11 5:45 am
Well Im still new to all this . Im just two months post op but I have been able to eat dairy and sometimes that is my downfall lol.

I love my milk and I always drink a glass of it before bedtime, and cheese yum I eat to much cheese sometimes.

I have not had any problems with it.  

There is nothing I cant eat , I chose not to eat pasta just because of the carbs but other then that there isn't a food I cant eat :o)

I just had salad for the first time last week and I had no problems with it, but I had the shredded kind I heard it was easier for the lapband people and that is what I used and no problems .

As far as the wine you can drink that but I was told by my doc not to drink any kind of alochol the first yr .  Why I dont know and I never questioned him about it because Im not much of a drinker just a drink here or there two times a yr.

It's been pretty easy for me though I had a super duper easy surgery and recovery and I have went two months post op without any fills and losing 2 pounds per week . Im one of the lucky ones I guess .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 6:06 am - Norfolk, VA
wow thats awesome, I hope mine goes that well.  When I used to post on this board (2007) I remember someone having alot of trouble with salad getting hung up and peanut butter giving them an issue but Im not quite sure its been awhile.  I did read a few people have issues with chicken and eggs?  I love chicken but I saw that making them wetter makes them go down easier so that isn't too bad.  I rarely eat steak, Im a chicken kinda girl but I can work with it.  I know every surgery has its own set of issues sometimes, Im just trying to get as much info as I can.  Thanks 
steelerfan1
on 1/29/11 6:15 am
You are welcome :o)

Like I said I eat chicken at least 5 times a week pork one night and got to have my red beef in there sometimes I will eat that two times a week it depends on how sick I get of chicken lol.

I always marinate my chicken over night so maybe that is why I dont have problems and I use chicken thighs and legs skinless those are the dark meats and they are moister.

They got some really good marinades out .  Last night I soaked pork chops for 18 hrs in a Carberiean Jerk sauce talk about yummy and so moist !!!

Im getting tired of chicken so since its aweekend I might make me a good ole cheeseburger for dinner lol

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 6:33 am - Norfolk, VA
I usually do marinate meats and I grill alot too so if needed I could add something to make it go down easier.  I just saw you are having a cheeseburger, so happy they will not be banned from our house LoL!  I dont eat them often but when I want one it is nice to know I can. 
Tina Welch
on 1/29/11 11:09 am
I have not yet been banded, but I know someone who had turkey get stuck. I think the key is smaller bites and chewing it real well from others I have talked talk. Advice I was given: Chew 10 tims and then chew 10 more, repeat until food is well chewed, you can never over chew it.
Hislady
on 1/29/11 6:43 am - Vancouver, WA
I developed lactose intolerence after banding but being as cheese lover I just take lactaid or the generic stuff and it's all good.
confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 7:08 am - Norfolk, VA
I've never looked into lactaid, it makes your body allow lactose?  Very cool, I will write that down, just incase 
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 7:19 am
I don't have any issues withdigesting dairy --- LOVE diary! I can eat almost any food trouble free (assuming I am chewing well) exept for soft breads and pasta. Here's an example: the other day I was at a meeting and boxed sub lunches were served. It was a 6 inch sub -- I took off the top bun and used the bottom bun and the meat and cheese to make a small sandwich. I ended up picking away 1/2 of the bottom bun as I ate the sandwich. There is no way I could've comfortably ate all of the bottom bun and the meat and cheese. I've also had trouble eating cantaloupe and that's about it.

Pills: I can take something the size of a claritain or sudafed just fine. But an advil or tylenol sits above the band and disolves. I usually crush them or do a liquid. One of the reasons I didn't go with the bypass is that there is a good chance I may need to be on a good sized dose of advil or aleeve in the future as arthritis in the hands seems plague all the women in our family early in life. My doctor said it is NOT good to take that stuff with a bypass but if needed we can take it with the band.

Trixie
confusedturtle
on 1/29/11 7:40 am - Norfolk, VA
I do love bread but that can be easily given up, I can do without alot of the less healthy things as long as I can have a small piece just to get the taste of it.  I don't know if that makes sense or not but that is how it works for me.  Nobody ever told my mom she couldn't have pain meds after her RNY, infact she was on pain meds and IBS meds and her vitamins and taking stuff (prescribed) for reflux and allergies.  She always told her doctor what she was taking and about her RNY, but they never told her she wasn't supposed to take that stuff.  Now I can see why she was in such poor health, I wish I knew then what I know now  maybe I could have done something to help her 
Most Active