scuba diving

Cocobean
on 1/29/11 4:31 am
I can't believe this wasn't one of my questions BEFORE I got the band, but it just came to me this morning.  
Has anyone had experience diving with their band.  Does it compress while diving?
I love to go and  usually don't go below 60 feet.  If you have, tell me of your experiences please @ 60 ft and below.  
Thanks in advance.

"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." ~ Mark Twain
Brown_Eyed_Girl2010
on 1/29/11 4:58 am
Lap Band on 12/02/10 with
My doctor told me no scuba diving.  I really wanted to learn once I was thin enough to feel comfortable in a wet suit.  I would love to learn that it is ok after all.  I love to snorkel and just know that I would really love to dive. 

Starting Weight 309  Surgery Day Weight 267  Goal Weight 170     
Kate -True Brit
on 1/29/11 4:24 pm - UK

In response to a question, Allergan sent a written reply to say that scuba diving at depth and travelling at altidude are neither of them problematic.

The saline in the band is unaffected by air pressure but there are almost certainly tiny air bubbles in the liquids which are! These may expand at altitude and contract at depth. Therefore it is sensible at altitude to eat with extra care as you may (rarely) get very slightly tighter. At depth, the bubbles may contract and so, should you choose and be able to eat at depth, you could eat more than usual!!!!

But, as always, ask your own doc (or as the above poster did, phone Allergan or Realize).

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 1/29/11 5:17 am
Ask YOUR surgeon.

My doc says that Scuba diving is fine -- so clearly there are differing opinions out there.
Kath

MargaretMary10
on 1/29/11 7:25 am - Richardson, TX
Just returned from Belize (Ambergris Cay).  I had no problem with diving.  We went to the Blue Hole - a 130 feet deep dive followed by two others - no problems at all.  It was beautiful!
Cocobean
on 1/30/11 6:01 am, edited 1/30/11 6:01 am
 Thanks girls!  I almost cried when I read the first post!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE to dive.  I can't believe I forgot to ask this whole time.  
Kate, that's very informative.  Where did you find that information?  I'm going to take this to my doctor so he'll give me the thumbs up!  ........and eating more that usual at depth......sounds fantastic if I were of an 'older mindset".    Finally getting a handle and talking myself out of all that "head" hunger.  
Margaret!  YOU LUCKY girl!  I bet is was FANTASTIC!  Did you do nitrox?

"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." ~ Mark Twain
shamr0ck
on 1/31/11 4:30 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 12/20/10
I asked my doc about SCUBA before being banded.  He said it was fine, as long as i waited until six weeks post-op. I think he had visions of me going diving on the way home from the hospital.  LOL
Most Active