symptoms of band erosion or flip please?

cagdoll
on 1/29/11 8:55 pm - PA
I am having alot of issues with the foamies.......especially if I eat any starch.  But yesterday, got that nausea feeling, hadnt eaten and then for hours, had to bring up lots of foam and bubbles.
Any body have a clue what is causing this?  I also notice, if I get worried about something, that causes the band to react too.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Jean M.
on 1/29/11 10:32 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Symptoms of band erosion include fever, back pain, difficulty eating, complete loss of restriction, or pain, redness and swelling at the port site (from the bacteria that travels along the tubing).

Symptoms of band slippage include vomiting, heartburn, reflux, foaming, chest pain and left shoulder pain. The symptoms may be constant or intermittent.

Symptoms of esophageal or stomach pouch dilation are being able to eat too much, heartburn, and regurgitation of food you ate a few days ago.

A flipped port doesn’t affect anything in your upper GI system and I don’t see how it could produce a symptom like the foamies. The only way I knew that my port had flipped was that it was harder and harder to access it for fills.

And yes, stress can affect band restriction. Many bandsters deal with that. When I’m feeling stressed, I try to do as much as I can to reduce or manage the stress, and at the same time be extra careful with my eating.

None of the problems described above constitute a medical emergency unless you’re in extreme pain and/or unable to drink clear liquids. If I were you, I’d call my surgeon’s office first thing on Monday, describe what’s going on, and take their advice.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

cagdoll
on 1/29/11 10:45 pm - PA
wow, thank you, thank you, thank you.........I have some of the symptoms you mentioned, I do get back pain, but its more in the lower shoulder area......if something is going to stick thats where i get the pain first.......that just started a few months ago.  The vomiting is mainly the foam......and it lasts for a few hours.....over and over again as the pouch fills up with it.  I do have reflux, since day one of the band, but take meds for that, but wondering if they arent doing the trick.

I do appreciate all the input though, it helps me watch for stuff to be happening.  I notice it more when I eat starchy, like the rice in healthy choice or the noodles......then the foamies get really wild.

Thank you again......I really need to buy your book......I am 3 yrs out as of Friday, lost 115lbs, gained back 5, but still feel wonderful other than this dumb stuff that is happening.

thanks again Jean......
Jean M.
on 1/30/11 12:03 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Lots of bandsters have problems with starchy foods like rice, I think because it's so sticky and can get gummed up in the stoma. If you stop eating them altogether, say for a month, and the foamies go away, you have your answer.

But I would still call the surgeon, just to be safe.

Both veteran and new bandsters have told me that Bandwagon is helping them, so I think it'd be worth buying...kind of a refresher course for you.

Gaining back only 5 pounds is pretty danged good, as long as the scale doesn't go on inching up and up and up.

Jean

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

sesmith
on 1/29/11 10:51 pm
 I was going to start a new topic but my concerns fit here. Lately, as in the past couple of days, I have pain that feels like spasm in my chest, where the band is. It lasts a few minutes, mostly if I drink something cold and when I lie down. My eating isn't affected. I have had increased salivation some times. My worry was slippage too. From my research, it sounds more like a dilated pouch. I will be following up with my doc on Mon, but would like to hear thoughts of fellow banders as well. Thanks
Jean M.
on 1/30/11 12:00 am
Revision on 08/16/12
May be esophageal spasms...not sure why you're having them, though. Let us know what your doc says.

Jean

sesmith
on 1/30/11 11:14 am
Thanks Jean. I feel better today. I think, well I know I have been eating too much, and pasta has been my addiction as of late. I shopped for some healthy choices and am working on slowing down and getting back to a bandster routine. I think this was a wake up call that if I abuse my band, I might lose my band   
Most Active