Anyone 3+ years out? (Xpost to VSG)

Born Lucky
on 1/27/11 11:03 pm
 I have a friend who is deciding on weight loss surgery.  She is deciding between the sleeve and the band.  Please, please do me (and her) a favor, and answer the following questions if you are over 3 years out from surgery.  I have posted this on the VSG forum, too, so if you are currently a VSGer, can you please respond there?  I would appreciate it if this thread is for the people who currently have a lap band.

When did you have your surgery?

Was it your first wls, or revision?

How much weight did you want to lose?

How much did you lose after the first year?

Did you reach goal?

Have you regained weight?  If so, how much, and did you take it back off?

Have you had any nutritional deficiencies, and how did you handle it?

Thanks!

MM
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/11 11:18 pm
Born Lucky
on 1/27/11 11:33 pm
 Thank you so much!  Congrats on your success.

MM
bubblesrn
on 1/27/11 11:30 pm
When did you have your surgery? Feb 2008 so almost 3 years

Was it your first wls, or revision? first... and ONLY 

How much weight did you want to lose? 100 pounds

How much did you lose after the first year? 120 pounds

Did you reach goal? yes... and beyond! have lost  180 pounds.  I've been at my personal goal for 6 months now, my surgeon's goal was met a year ago (wanted me to lose 150 pounds)

Have you regained weight?  If so, how much, and did you take it back off?  fluctuate at times up and down 10 pounds.  but yes, have been able to get it back off

no nutritional deficiencies because I am diligent with my protein intake and taking my vitamins.

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Born Lucky
on 1/27/11 11:34 pm
 Thank you.  You have done an awesome job with your tool, and I'm sure you're an inspiration to many!

MM
monymony
on 1/27/11 11:38 pm
Hi MM,

1. I had surgery 1/22/02
 2. I have had no revisions

3. 100 lbs.

4. 60

5. yes

6. I go back and forth 10 lbs.
7. No nutritional deficiencies with the band since the intestines are not rerouted.

Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Born Lucky
on 1/27/11 11:45 pm
 Thank you!  Wow, 9 years, that's great!

MM
melly37
on 1/28/11 1:21 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
When did you have your surgery? 01/10/2008

Was it your first wls, or revision? First, then I had a second surgery 03/02/2010 to re-position my band after a slip

How much weight did you want to lose? 110 pounds

How much did you lose after the first year? around 80

Did you reach goal? I came within 5 pounds before my band slip

Have you regained weight?  If so, how much, and did you take it back off? I regained 40 lbs after my slip and trying to get my band back to a good restriction.  I am in the process of taking that back off now, as it took a full 8 months to find restriction again.  My food addictions and stress really held me back from doing this on my own.

Have you had any nutritional deficiencies, and how did you handle it? I haven't had any deficencies that I know of

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Born Lucky
on 1/28/11 4:32 am
 Thanks!  I'm so sorry for your slip and regain, and wish the best for you now that you have your band in gear.

MM
Bette B.
on 1/28/11 1:42 am
When did you have your surgery?
December 2003 (7+ years)

Was it your first wls, or revision?
First

How much weight did you want to lose?
I had set my goal at 10 pounds, then 25, then 50, etc. My "final goal" was to reach what I weighed when I left high school (196) and I did that 18 months.

How much did you lose after the first year?
150 pounds (100 in 6 months)

Did you reach goal?
See above.

Have you regained weight?  If so, how much, and did you take it back off?
Yes, some. I lost a total of 220 pounds, but I think that was about 20 too many. I think it made me look emaciated.

I lost so fast that I developed a hiatal hernia, and vomiting 10 times a day because of it caused a slip. I chose to ignore the problem for over a year because I was terrified of losing the band. During that time, I was GAINING weight while I was keeping hardly any food down. I STILL haven't figured THAT one out. In 2008, I had the hernia fixed and my doc gave me a new, larger band to replace the old 2003-vintage one.

I'm still working on losing about 20 more pounds, and it's much harder to do at this lower weight, but I'm still below my goal weight and feeling great.

I haven't. I had a couple of instances early on where I lost some hair, but adding a protein shake a day cleared that up. And every spring, I shave my head for a charity event, so hair loss isn't an issue anymore anyway. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Most Active