First fill and no difference

Christy S.
on 1/27/11 1:28 pm - Plano, TX
I had my first fill on Monday. The PA put in 1.5 cc's. He showed me on the monitor after he was done and said that I was filled as much as I should be at this point. Of course I had no idea what I was looking at since it was my first one.

The first day and a half I felt restriction, but the last few days I feel exactly like I did before my fill. I'm able to eat about a cup and a half at a time and I'm hungry about every 3 hours.

Should I call and tell them I need another fill or do I wait until my next appointment on March 1st?

-Mari-
on 1/27/11 1:54 pm
You are totally normal. It takes, on average 3-5 fills to get to your "sweet spot", until then you usually go in once a month. Some people's fills actually can take up to 2 weeks to "kick" in. Of course it's up to your Dr's office how often they do them, mine will do them after 2 weeks. If you find yourself starving after 2 weeks maybe give them a call and see what they say. You are on your way. Congrat's on your first fill.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Kate -True Brit
on 1/27/11 3:31 pm, edited 1/27/11 3:31 pm - UK

edited to add last para

Lots of docs approach it this way, although 1.5 for a first fill is conservative.  You may well find that with small fills like that it will take you 5 or so fills to get restricition. That is not in itself a bad thing but you need to be prepared to be patient! Not easy!

My own doc does it very differently but that's not relevant for you and your doc!!!

Just noted youi can eat a cup and a half of food and get hungry 3 hours later. For many people that is restricition!!!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/11 9:10 pm
TOTALLY normal -- don't worry. After my first several fills, I had some sort of restriction for a while but it didn't last very long.  My surgeon was very conservative with fills and I was okay with that because I was too scared of getting tight. It took me 8 months and 6 fills to get the band adjusted to what I feel is a terrific spot for me.  Looking back, in one way I was in a hurry to get to good restriction, but in another way I was glad it took longer so that I could slowely learn new eating habits of chewing stuff to death and waiting in between bites.

Good luck to you!

Trixie
amt6
on 1/27/11 9:48 pm - CT
 I hear ya.. I had my first fill on Wednesday and the doctor gave me 2-3cc's. He told me that they have to be conservative at first because they can't just jump in too fast. Because I'm young and have a lower BMI, he told me to come back in 1 week for another fill, and then every 2 weeks after that until I finally feel something.

Right now I'm eating the way I was before surgery, just making better decisions. I lost 17lbs post-op, and since have gained back about 6lbs, which the doctor says is totally normal. I told him that I am ready to get the show on the road, but he keeps reminding me that it takes time!!! 

Good luck :)
Life is a journey, not a destination**    
qltdthred
on 1/27/11 10:05 pm - oakland, NJ
VSG on 10/30/14
I too am frustrated.  Had my first fill Dec 30th and now feel like I can eat anything and am always hungry.   My next fill is not scheduled till Feb 9th and wondering if I should call to get that moved up.   Lost 16 lbs but stuck and frustrated, want the weight to come off.  

Banded 12.1.10, revision VSG 10.30.14.  Banded weight 282, Lowest 243,  VSG revision weight 264.  

steelerfan1
on 1/27/11 10:46 pm
Christy can I ask you a question what kind of restriction are u looking for ? Im kinda lost on why you want another fill ?

Going three hrs not being hungry and eating a cup maybe a cup and half isnt bad gosh my doc thinks that is great .

That is what I do .  I can go about 3-4 hrs without getting hungry sometimes on a good day I can go up to 5.

Are u looking not to be hungry for hrs and hrs upon a time ? 

I guess Im just lost on all this restriction sweet spot thing .    I guess I just dont focus on that since I got the lapband I have never really went looking for it or trying to get there

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Christy S.
on 1/28/11 1:04 am - Plano, TX
It's not that I want another fill, I guess I really just don't know what to expect. I feel the same after my fill as I did before and I was expecting to feel some kind of change. Also, I haven't lost anything in a month but I have noticed that I've lost inches because my clothes are getting too big.

As far as finding that "sweet spot", I don't expect to find that until I'm maintaining. I know that I'll need fills as I lose.

steelerfan1
on 1/28/11 1:14 am
On January 28, 2011 at 9:04 AM Pacific Time, Christy S. wrote:
It's not that I want another fill, I guess I really just don't know what to expect. I feel the same after my fill as I did before and I was expecting to feel some kind of change. Also, I haven't lost anything in a month but I have noticed that I've lost inches because my clothes are getting too big.

As far as finding that "sweet spot", I don't expect to find that until I'm maintaining. I know that I'll need fills as I lose.
Okay I think I understand lol.  I dont know how you are suppose to feel after a fill because I havent had one yet , so I know nothing in that dept.

All I know is I can go 3 hrs to 4 hrs and sometimes 5 if I eat a good meal with lots of protein in it,  without getting hungry and Im losing my average 1-2 per week that is why I havent gotten a fill yet .

Well, that might be the reason you are not losing on the scales is all the inches you have been losing that is great :o)

I guess I need to get a fill before I can really understand what all these fills means lol.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Jean M.
on 1/27/11 11:22 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Since it can take up to 2 weeks for a fill to kick in, I'd hang in there for another week before calling to schedule another fill. But as others have said, it can take a few fills to achieve an optimal fill level.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active