i'm not losing??

nobody06
on 1/29/11 2:57 am - sullivan, MO
I have stuck to the diet. I am exercising a little at a time? I have actually gained 2 pds after losing 18. I am only 6 weeks out , but already feel like I should have had a bypass instead?
just me

Lisaizme
on 1/29/11 3:36 am, edited 1/29/11 3:37 am - TX
First 6 weeks (or so) is about healing, not about weight loss. Don't worry about 2lbs right now, that could be too much sodium, your cycle (if you're female), scale in a different place.. any number of things can make a 2lb difference.

I remember wondering to myself if I should've sucked up the courage and had bypass also at the beginning of my wt loss journey.

If you've not had any fills yet, you're basically working with a empty (or nearly so, depending if you got any starter fill at time of surgery) band. It should get better as you start getting fills and the band starts working.

Hang in there, follow the guidelines as closely as you can and go in for your first fill when it's time.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

crystal M.
on 1/29/11 4:28 am, edited 1/29/11 4:29 am - Joliet, IL
I had the exact same feeling about surgery regret.  I was 18 months out and not losing weight.  What I did to change my fate was REALLY exercise.  I know everyone says they exercise...they go for walks.  I did the same thing.  The problem is and I think a lot of people are like me...I can't lose weight by diet alone and I can't lose weight by little walks in the park.  I have to go to the gym.  I know you will have to build up to this routine but you'd be surprised by how fast you will.  I workout 90 minutes a day 6-days a week.  I'm on the treadmill for 60 minutes and then I lift weights. Lifting weights is important part of working out that women often skip.  Your muscles are your fat/calorie burning machines.  By building leaner and stronger muscles you will be able to burn calories at a faster pace.  This is the main reason men lose weight faster than we do...they have more muscle.  Anyway, I lift weights for 20 minutes a day and then afterward I stretch for 10-15 minutes.  I also take a 30 minute walk at work 5 days a week and I just started a yoga routine for my Saturdays.  I know this seems like a lot of work but I am losing now more than I ever did.  I started this routine in October and so far I have lost almost 50 lbs.  This month alone I lost 13 lbs!!!  I have gone from 22-24 to an 18!!!  If you could have the same results wouldn't be worth it??? 

I say if you aren't dripping with sweat after your work out than it's not a workout!!!  Back in October I was really feeling down and like a failure.  I just thought I can sit around and feel sorry for myself or get off my fat ass and do something.  Now I'm excited and losing like crazy.  It's worth a try if it means you will be skinnier and healthier.  Even people who are losing quickly should be working out.  Skinny people can be unhealthy too.  Also the people that lose weight by diet alone have lost muscle mass and it will be harder for them to maintain weight than it will be for me since I exercise.  I plan on continuing my routine forever!!! 
JoMixx
on 1/29/11 5:14 am - West Yarmouth, MA

Hang in there! I know I am a newbie but maybe you shouldn't use your scale to measure your progress as much as you should use a measuring tape!

I think buyers remorse is normal when things are just not going as planned!

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
nobody06
on 1/29/11 7:41 am - sullivan, MO
Thanks for the replies everyone! I have had a fill. about a week ago. I'm not allowed to get my heart rate up by exercising I have a couple heart conditions. One while I'm just sitting here my heart rate is that of a person running. I have had a heart attack left ventricular tachycardia and high blood pressure. I have stuck to the diet religiously. Now I am gaining and not losing . I feel no restriction at all. I am super hungry. Feel like I am floating in water alll that i drink..It just doesn't seem to be working for me?
just me

Lisaizme
on 1/29/11 9:37 pm - TX
I'm sorry to hear/read about your heart condition.  Hopefully the weight loss will help that some.

Can you do chair exercises?  Even if you can't (or aren't allowed) to get your HR up, a little non-cardio will still help.  :)

Like Lisa O. posted, give us a few more details (calories, proteins, carbs, types of foods) and we can offer more suggestions.

BTW:  for me, the band doesn't work by restricting the AMOUNT of food I can eat.  It works by decreasing my appetite and giving me more control. 
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Lisa O.
on 1/29/11 10:32 am - Snoqualmie, WA
First of all, you need to give yourself a break!  16 lbs is over 2 lbs a week and the average is 1-2.  You need to try to be patient and let your body adjust and you may have a sluggish metabolism that requires testing a variety of food plans.

What kind of "diet" are you on?
How many calories are you eating daily?
How much protein?
How many carb grams?
What types of foods are you eating? 

Answer the questions above is you want some suggestions.

Otherwise, hang in there!  The weight will come off!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

nobody06
on 1/29/11 12:52 pm - sullivan, MO
That is tue. I do have a sluggish metabolism.I lost 12 pds in the 1st week. then lost 6pds the next week now gaining.
The diet I have is protein all the time.
isopure drink
tuna
chicken deli meat. low fat yogurt with protein powder sugarless popsicles 64 ounces of water and 2 32 ounces of zero calorie powerade
protein is between 60 to 80

carbs less than 300
sometimes if im really hungry a teaspoon of peanut butter or a couple tic tacs.
I feel totally starved. and gaining now. I just feel like maybe I'd have done better with the malabsorptive bypass?
Also I am taking all the supplements , calcium, b1 b6 b12 multi and prevacid.
I am just feeling really deppressed..
just me

Kate -True Brit
on 1/29/11 4:38 pm - UK

You have to look at loss over time. 16lbs in 6 weeks is over 2lbs a week. Top end of  what bandsters expect to lose!

Also, see below....

The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 7:31 pm - alexandria, VA

If you chose the band for safety and adjustability why are you complaining?Also you've already lost 18 pounds in six weeks, why are you complaining that is awesome.  Did you fully understand that the band is slower weight loss? Did you fully understand that it takes those who get the band up to 3-5 fills 4-6 weeks apart before we get to good restriction where the band will be most effective? When you mentioned that you are exercising a little at a time, that is not being clear, do you know that you must exercise at least 30-60 minutes of some form of walking or exercise every day to see consistent weight loss? Do you know ALL SURGERIES including bypass, Sleeve requires the exact same thing for weight loss? I am sorry but people like you who do not research their perspective surgeries and really dont' know how they work should not be allowed to get them.

Most Active