Two years annivesrary of band... thoughts!

Cheryl N.
on 1/28/11 1:46 am, edited 1/28/11 1:49 am - Des Moines, WA
Well, today is my 2 years annivesrary of being banded... 

I'm glad I lost some weight, but not 100% excess lost. 

I do have to be honest, I am happy with my band SOME of the time. 

My band is just crazy, not liking me much, and slams shut on me right before period and sometimes a few days after period during ovuluation. 

It's hard to eat dense food most of the time now without throwing up.   Liquids goes down just fine. 

Looking into revision, am working on that.

I am not saying band is bad.  I am glad I had it done.  My sleep apnea is still unresolved, I am still taking metformin. 

I just stopped losing weight since Sept 2009.  Very sensitive to fills.  Had to have two unfills right after getting fills both Sept 2009 and Sept 2010 during Walk from Obesity weekend! UGH! 

Positive of band is:

I am now mostly in Size M's and pants 12/14 depending on cut.   

The band is indeed the most difficult tool, as my surgeon agrees too and he doesn't recommend the band now.  He is recommending a revision.  I got denied so I am working on an appeal.  UGH! 

My stats are inaccurate below so my current weight is 185! YIKES! 

Edited to add that my surgeon will not do any more fills due to complications from last two fills resulting in unfill.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

melly37
on 1/28/11 2:20 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Cheryl, sounds like we have had a pretty similar journey.  I am not actively looking in to a revision at this time, since I did have surgery less than a year ago to reposition my band.  It's on my mind though. 

It really is hard to get to a proper restriction level, and stay there for any length of time.  The lucky bandsters that can lose weight with a fairly loose band, can't possibly have the food addictions that I have.  I don't doubt all of us struggle with food issues, but a loose band for me was disaster!!  I am a strong person and have been through a lot of crap in my life......but sometimes I think that's why my food addictions are so strong.  Throughout abuse, etc., I didn't turn to drugs or alcohol to numb my pain, it has always been food.  Food was my friend in happiness and despair. 

I hope that you are able to get your revision, sweetie.  You deserve it!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Tooty
on 1/28/11 3:42 am - Germantown, TN
I'll be 2 years out the end of March.  I've made my original goal and am still losing very slowly.  ;o)
My sleep Apnea has improved a lot, but I still use my Cpap several times per week.

Like you, my band is pretty tight around/during PMS.  It can be really hard to eat dense foods during that time.  I just push through it and continue drinking  Slim Fast and eating protein bars.  They are definitely staples for me!!

I'm only 4'11" and have gone from 210/207 to 134 (currently) and wear a size 10 or 8 depending on the brand.  I feel the best I ever have and hope to God that I never have to have my band removed. 

Some days are more trying than others, but I just remind myself how great I feel and look and I just push through the hard days.  The payoff is awesome!!
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Jean M.
on 1/28/11 9:48 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Cheryl,

What revision are you looking into?

Why do you feel that your band journey is over? It sounds like your surgeon is pushing you to revise. I understand that you and/or he feel cautious if your last 2 fills caused problems, but maybe you just need more conservative fills now?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active