Please post your POSITIVE or not so positive Band Experience here

Zee Starrlite
on 1/28/11 12:25 am, edited 1/28/11 12:29 am
This is an old post.  I do not want it to appear lopsided.  I loved my Band when I had it so I am NOT knocking anyone.  If I had a working Band right now, I'd be in heaven - truly!  I say this because there was a longer term Bandster (5yrs) that posted that I was trying to get a negative spin on the Band that is far from the truth.  I only wanted to have documented our individual experience.

Even after my losing the Band, my sister wants to get Banded.  Am I encouraging her? Absolutely NOT.  Ideally I'd hope for her to get a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch (she has diabetes 2 for over 10yrs), second would be the VSG,  and last on my list would be the Band.  Why?  I know her and her history, I know the Band, we 100% share the same genes - her esophagus may not like the Band like mine did not.  The band is not right for her, but I'd take it for her, I'd take anything for her to lose some weight and have better control of her diabetes.  This is my big sis whom I love with all my fricken heart and soul.

I understand the Vertigo has something on diabetes too but if she is not willing to even go with "accepted" WLS she certainly would not be willing to go the extra length of "experimental".  The Vertical Sleeve Plication by the way is a very bad  option!

So, please if you did not reply to this post please do.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4304076/PLEASE-RESPOND-Explain-your-Lap-Band-AGB-Experience/

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Bette B.
on 1/28/11 1:24 am
Put me down as a
The Like Button In Real Life

I always have been - and will continue to be, for the foreseeable future - happier than I ever imagined with my band.

Despite my ups and downs, I have lost a tremendous amount of weight, more than my surgeon or I ever hoped. I'm seven-plus years out from my surgery, and I wouldn't trade my band for the word. Call me a "mutant", a "militant", an anomaly giving people "false hope", but there it is. The band worked for me, and it worked damned well.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Bette B.
on 1/28/11 1:28 am
 PS: I was also Type 2 diabetic for 10+ years, taking 2 oral meds and 2 kinds of insulin a day, and mine is gone.

KathyS39
on 1/28/11 3:03 am - St Pete Beach, FL
Bette,  Thank you so much for your post.  Being a newbie (Today is 3 weeks, 1 day) it is so wonderful to hear the good stuff.  I understand there is positive and negative to almost everything, but often when I come to read the posts here the negative is so accentuated that I get a little frightened about what I have done!  Especially since I had a really rough time after my surgery.  So to you..........and all the others that have given me reason to hope....I applaud thee!
Kathy Allen

Sapphire1964
on 1/28/11 7:44 am
Wow you look absolutely awesome...what a story for the band.  Have you had to have any surgeries since banding to correct it, move it, port replacement, etc?  You look great - I am a very "flabby" fat and am a "thin person in a fat persons body" when I have lost my weight.  My arms are huge, and my butt & thighs are huge...I would need some really good surgery (that I can't afford) to feel comfortable in my body, even when my weight is down.  I am a gastric bypass patient with the band over it (just got it 12-31-10) and am looking forward to my journey to re-lose the weight I gained back (waited too long to do something about it but it's my time now!) - Have you had any plastic surgery in your photos or was your skin just resilient to the weight loss?

RNY 04/05/04
BOB 12/30/10 (Band over Bypass)  

Bette B.
on 1/28/11 9:07 am
 Oh, trust me. There is PLENTY of sag under those clothes!!!

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/28/11 3:08 am - Mexico
Kathy S39....

Perhaps that is because there are more negatives with the band than positives?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
bgrandmabear
on 1/28/11 4:05 am
I am new to the band but i love it i know 8 people with the band and none have had problems some are 4 years into it friends with by pass are 10, 8 hate it  6 have gained it all back.most of them are 6 years out
sfnativewm
on 1/28/11 4:53 am
The Like Button In Real Life

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Bette B.
on 1/28/11 9:09 am
 Hey! Go find your own graphic, woman! 

Most Active