Dr said no lapband

grumpyswife19
on 1/27/11 8:50 am - LA
Well I talked to the surgeon again today to tell him that I wanted the lapband surgery (he was trying to talk me into getting sleeve),  I asked him if he would be supportive of that decision and he said no,  He said he would not do the lapband because I was hoping to lose about 50# and he thinks I would only lose 25-30.  Even 50# would just get me to the middle of my chart weight.  He said I would probably not be happy and would be wanting a revision in about 4-5 years. I said but you really dont have any long term stats on the sleeve do you and he replied no.  This is a great surgeon and he has done thousands of lapbands.  I have cried all afternoon
EBL8181
on 1/27/11 8:58 am, edited 1/27/11 9:04 am - Boston, MA
I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointment. A few people are going to respond to this telling you that the sleeve is a "better" option anyway and that your surgeon is right, bla bla bla but if you've done your research and really had your heart set on the band, could you get a second opinion from another surgeon? Maybe insurance would cover it?

GOOD LUCK with whatever surgery you have!!!
~ Liz ~ 30 y/o ~ 5'10

starting (10/4/10): 280
pre-op (10/18/10): 268.5
current (1/4/12): 257.0

Jean M.
on 1/27/11 9:46 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I agree with Liz. Time for a second opinion.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

MARIA F.
on 1/27/11 9:22 am - Athens, GA
It may not seem like it now but this could be a blessing in disguise. It sounds like he is backing off of the bands b/c they are so ineffective. Some ppl do well with them.............but not many!

If you are seriously considering the band please visit the revision forum. U will find a LOT of former bandsters on there. If the band were as good as they want us to beleive it is them we wouldn't have all those ppl revision FROM the band now would we???

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Stephanie M.
on 1/27/11 10:09 am
the link to your blog on your signature doesn't work, FYI

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

MARIA F.
on 1/28/11 8:25 am - Athens, GA
Thanks for letting me know!

FormerlyFluffy.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/27/11 9:26 am - Mexico
Many doctors are declining to band people anymore. Not just doctors but entire countries. The country of Chile stopped banding people overall about a year ago. Argentina is leaning towards sleeves for restrictive only surgeries. Euro doctors at a recent IFSO conference said they are not seeing great long term results with the band. Many many US doctors are refusing to band anymore. Don't you think there is a reason for this?

I totally respect your doctor for not doing a procedure that doesn't have great success.

Maybe look at all your options?

http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/03/which-surgery-type-is-right-for-you.html

If you still want a band anyway, then find another doctor with fewer scruples.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
airhead_74
on 1/27/11 9:29 am
DS on 08/20/12
I wanted to get the sleeve and that's what my Dr. reccommended. But my insurance would not cover the sleeve. So, after much thought and consideration, I went with my only alternative. The band with gastric plication. I knew I had to do something for my health's sake. It was that or nothing. You do have options. Research the sleeve and see if you would be comfortable with it. Also research doctors to see if you find another ne you are comfortable with who will do the band. Take your timeand make the decision that's bestfor you. And remember that these Dr.s do tons of these surgeries so take their advicr into consideration.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

steelerfan1
on 1/27/11 9:39 am
Gosh I'm so sorry to hear that , I dont know why he would think you would only lose 25-30 pounds .

Dang I have lost that much in just two months I have lost 32 pounds I have went from 348 to 316 in two months and I have no fluid in my band !! I have skipped the last two fill sessions I just dont need them .

If that is what you want then I would find another doc to do your surgery one that does lapbands only.  I went and saw a handful of docs when I was doing my research went to alot of their seminars and I just didnt like the idea that they did other surgeries I felt pushed into the surgeries and that isn't what I wanted .  They just kept saying well if  you fail at this one you can get this one done oh I'm sure you will especially being self pay more money into your pockets if I get two or three diff rent surgeries .

You need to make the best decision for you and if you feel like the sleeve isn't a great option for you then dont be talked into , and that goes the same way for the lapband you need to make the decision for yourself no matter what is said on here , we dont pay your bills, and we dont know you personally , or your body so do what is best for you :o) 

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisaizme
on 1/27/11 10:08 am - TX
That doctor sounds like two I talked to who told me average weight loss with the band is 50lbs.

Here I am almost 2 years later and I've lost 180 lbs.

I really enjoy seeing those doctors now and proving them wrong.

When you are finished crying, get mad.  Go find another doctor and get the surgery that is best for you.. whether it be band, sleeve, rny, or ds. 

I went through similar when I needed tx for endometrial hyperplasia (pre-cancer).  I saw one doctor who predicted all kinds of dire results because I wouldn't agree to his idea of treatment.  I went home, cried a lot and then got mad and took control of my own health.  Fired that doc and found another and have had wonderful results from a much less invasive treatment.

Keep researching and don't let anyone talk you out of what you know is best for you.  And it's ok if you change your mind and decide that a different surgery is better for your particular situation, just don't let anyone bully you into a decision.   Hang in there.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active