4th months into my exercise routine!!!

crystal M.
on 1/26/11 9:20 pm, edited 1/26/11 9:45 pm - Joliet, IL
Hello

I just have to share my good news....I went to the doctor yesterday and I lost a total of 13 lbs this month!!!   I got my band in 3-2009.  I was a very slow loser.  I struggled with losing weight.  My band fills didn't seem to be helping much.  Back in October I started to go to the gym and get really serious about exercise.  I am losing more weight almost two years after sugery than I did when I first got my surgery!!!  Here's what I did and some of the changes I made that have helped me lose weight....

I exercise 90 minutes a day 6 days a week.  I also still go walking at work 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.  I am on the treadmill 60 minutes and I also weigh lift.  This is important for speeding up your metabolism.  So many women ignore the weight lifting aspect of working out.  Which is a mistake.  Because leaner and stronger muscles burn more fat/ calories.  That's the main reason men lose weight faster than we do...because they have more muscle mass.  Also weight lifting is great for the bones.  It improves bone density...great way to avoid osteoprosis ladies.  This is my routine and it's a lot of work and I mean work. When I am done I am dripping sweat.... but I am finally successful.  

I also keep track of my calories and carbs.  I have cut out all white carbs and eat no bread or pasta.  I have opted to get all my carbs from fruits and veggies.  I keep my calories around 1200.  I do cheat sometimes ( and by sometimes I mean once or twice a month..not once or twice a week) like the other night I had a slice of stuffed pizza (of course most of the crust didn't get eaten).  I drink no liquid calories...so no sodas, coffee, juice, beer, protein drinks...and so on. 

The band does help me not over eat but it doesn't help me make the right food choices. or get my but to the gym every day.  I am realizing the limits of my band.  So when someone asks me how I am losing weight I don't mention my band because I feel like it's more me than the band (80% me and 20% band).  I am excited that I may actually get to my goal weight of 164 (which at that point I will be officially normal on the BMI scale).  I still have about 50 lbs to lose to get there.  But for the first time I feel like it's possible.  If you are stalling or feel like the band was a big mistake try doing what I am doing. 

Thanks for letting me brag!!!
bubblesrn
on 1/26/11 9:58 pm
YAY!  Congrats on your new found success!

People always look at me when I'm nuts when I tell them that I've lost all my weight by not only watching what I eat but also being diligent on my excercise... and most WLS patients will just focus on cardio in the beginning.  Yes they lose the weight but once your body gets used to the cardio, your metabolism stalls.  When I started putting weight in my routine, I noticed not only did I look toner and leaner, but the pounds melted away... although I'm still saggy LOL.

Thanks for being another example on how changing what you eat and how you move is the key to all of it!

Take care!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

crystal M.
on 1/26/11 10:41 pm, edited 1/26/11 10:44 pm - Joliet, IL
I wanted to post something because when I was struggeling I was very upset I chose LapBand and I felt like a failure.  I did have a couple times that I would eat horrible and think to my self "why not eat it...I'm not losing weight any way".  I just wanted to let people know when you get to the point where you aren't losing weight or you never really did lose weight and you are depressed...or questioning your decsion to get Lapband....there is hope.  I did get the surgery because I didn't want to have to diet anymore or I thought that it would be easier than it is.    I needed to stop this self defeating thinking.  So I just decided (with the help of some really great friends) that I can sit here and feel sorry for myself and still be fat in 6 months or I can get up and do something and at least I can say I gave it a good try.  And maybe if I did get the Sleeve I wouldn't have to work so damn hard but I think to myself if the weight loss came easily then I probably wouldn't be exercising like I am now.  Because of the exercise I am doing when I am done losing weight I will be healthier and more able to maintain my weight than someone that lost their weight so easily. I think I am a good example of  - it's never too late to try again.  Like I said I'm almost 2 years out and I am now just starting to see my success!!! 
HPhelps_30
on 1/27/11 11:05 am
I just  wanted to say Thank you for posting this. Im 6 yrs out and have been stalled out for the past 4 yrs. I was also a slow loser but after the first year I got serious and worked my butt off and lost 86 lbs and kept it off for about a year and a half but then got pregnant and gained all the weight back and now Im struggling to get the weight off again. You said some things that I can really relate to right now. I just sit around feeling sorry for myself because I guess I think the weight should just automatically come off on its own, or maybe im hoping it will. I worked hard the first time I lost all that weight so I know I have to work hard again. I say the same thing every day, that tomorrow I will start but then tomorrow comes and  I eat all the wrong things and feel bad about it. Its exactly like you said, Im not losing so I eat whatever I want and say whats the point cause Im not losing weight anyways. Everything you said made perfect sense so I just wanted to say Thank You!  Heather P.
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/11 11:23 pm - Des Moines, IA
You can "brag" anytime, but I don't  think it's  bragging.  It's hard work!

For me, I will always have to fight the urge to eat things I shouldn't.  Last night I saw someone I hadn't seen in years and years, and she commented that she didn't even recognize me.  She asked what I was doing and I said no white carbs, higher protein, fresh fruits and veggies and LOTS of exercise.  I don't feel the need to tell certain people about the band.  I'm working it now and it's working for me!

Congrats on your weight loss and for getting in better shape.

Hugs,
Kristi
bandhope
on 1/26/11 11:47 pm - TX
Congrats!!! I always say the natural high of working out is sooooo much better than any food can ever give you. I've been "addicted" to that natural high for over three years now. I can't imagine life without it!! It has kept me healthy, happy, and skinny!
Congrats to you!! You're doing great!!!
Most Active