Lap Band surgery went wrong

imercier
on 1/26/11 12:38 pm - NY
12/14/10 iI went in for a Lap Band surgery at Lutheran Hospital.I tought my Doctor was the greatest,but for some reason he is the only Dr that i've heard of telling patients,that he may not be able to do the surgery if he cannot get passed my liver.I've spoken to many people who were alot heavier than me,but wow i have 5 holes in my stomach and no Lap Band.Did anyone else had this happenned to them?What do you do next? And by the way if anyone is having this surgery done in Brooklyn,NY at Lutheran Hospital please think twice if you sure of what your're doing.
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 12:46 pm - Mexico
It's not the hospital, it's your doctor. Find someone more experienced.

We are a population of big livers. It's how it works. Find a new doc, get your surgery, and live life.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
imercier
on 1/26/11 12:54 pm - NY
Yes you are correct ots not the hospital even though it was so dirty,but the Dr Ferzli is suppossed to be an exellent doctor and i dont know what happened.I went to someone else
and have a new surgery date set,but this Dr does not take any insurances and i am not sure and i have never met anyone to ask if this situation could happen again?Do you know anyone lik me?
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 11:38 pm - Mexico
On January 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM Pacific Time, imercier wrote:
Yes you are correct ots not the hospital even though it was so dirty,but the Dr Ferzli is suppossed to be an exellent doctor and i dont know what happened.I went to someone else
and have a new surgery date set,but this Dr does not take any insurances and i am not sure and i have never met anyone to ask if this situation could happen again?Do you know anyone lik me?

From looking at his OH profile, he's not all that experienced.  He's only done 300 bands and 500 bypass.

www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-george-fer zli/#profile_procedures

No sleeves, no DS, no revisions.

Just find a more experienced doctor that can do this procedure.

And while you are looking for a new doctor, consider a sleeve. ;o))))))

steelerfan1
on 1/26/11 1:10 pm, edited 1/26/11 1:11 pm

The reason why your doc and I'm only going by what my doc does if he thinks he cant put the band around you safely and done properly because the liver is the in way he wont do it then.

I was told up front if he thinks my liver is to large and he can not put the band safely around my stomach and do it right then he will not do it at all .

I was warned up front about that,  that is why that pre op diet is so vital to follow before your surgery it helps loosen the liver up and shrink the liver .

My doc is very strict on the pre op phase if you dont lose the 10 pounds then no surgery for you no ifs ands or buts on that one.  There was suppose to be three before me on my surgery day and all of them but one got cancelled due to not losing their weight .

Gosh I was told that way before I even had the surgery, I was told that  when I started my pre op diet and I was told again right before surgery and I had to sign off on papers it was explained very clear to me if it cant be done safety wise and be done right no lapband .

I would rather my doc do it that way then take a chance of him just slapping it on me and then have major problems down the road , but that is just me

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

imercier
on 1/26/11 1:28 pm - NY
But i did loose the weight and i'm 257lbs,i did the diet.
steelerfan1
on 1/26/11 10:29 pm
On January 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM Pacific Time, imercier wrote:

Right but sometimes just losing the required amount of weigh isnt enough .  I feel so bad for you  on this , but I truly believe your doc did what was right and it sounds like another lady had him for their doc on here and was told it could happen .

It's not about not having enough experience at all its all about the doctor watching out for your safety and for you to be successful with the band as you can see from the replies your doc is not the only one that will do this .

If it was me I would stay with that doc because like I said he was looking out for your safety and your health to me that is a great doc he could have slapped that band on you and then down the road have major complications and you are rushed back right into the ER for a band removal.

Go back talk to your doc see what needs to be done you losing another 20 pounds might just do the trick  its not over with yet .  Dont get frustrated or discourged , dont start eating cause you are depressed that will only make it worse .

Sit back breathe , call yoru doc and move foward :o)

I wish you the best of luck !!

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 11:36 pm - Mexico
On January 27, 2011 at 6:29 AM Pacific Time, steelerfan1 wrote:

Right but sometimes just losing the required amount of weigh isnt enough .  I feel so bad for you  on this , but I truly believe your doc did what was right and it sounds like another lady had him for their doc on here and was told it could happen .

It's not about not having enough experience at all its all about the doctor watching out for your safety and for you to be successful with the band as you can see from the replies your doc is not the only one that will do this .

If it was me I would stay with that doc because like I said he was looking out for your safety and your health to me that is a great doc he could have slapped that band on you and then down the road have major complications and you are rushed back right into the ER for a band removal.

Go back talk to your doc see what needs to be done you losing another 20 pounds might just do the trick  its not over with yet .  Dont get frustrated or discourged , dont start eating cause you are depressed that will only make it worse .

Yes, it is about having experience.  We are a population of big livers, the majority of us have enlarged livers.  The pre op diet does NOT shrink your liver, it absorbs the glycogen from around your liver so it is not slippery and hard to work with.  In order to shrink a liver that takes weeks and weeks, MONTHS of low carb diets.

My doc (typical of most) has done over 1000 bands, over 1000 sleeves, 500 bypass, hundreds of revision surgeries.  He has never once had to stop and close the patient up because of liver issues.  He has never once had to revert open for any reason including liver issues.  He has never had to decline someone surgery because of an enlarged liver.  Enlarged livers are a reason to have surgery to begin with.

And it's not the entire liver that sits in front of the stomach, it is just the lower lobe of the liver.

And finally, if the liver was nicked during surgery she would not have had to have her band removed.

The OP needs to find a more experienced surgeon.

steelerfan1
on 1/27/11 1:28 am
On January 27, 2011 at 7:36 AM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:
On January 27, 2011 at 6:29 AM Pacific Time, steelerfan1 wrote:

Yes, it is about having experience.  We are a population of big livers, the majority of us have enlarged livers.  The pre op diet does NOT shrink your liver, it absorbs the glycogen from around your liver so it is not slippery and hard to work with.  In order to shrink a liver that takes weeks and weeks, MONTHS of low carb diets.

My doc (typical of most) has done over 1000 bands, over 1000 sleeves, 500 bypass, hundreds of revision surgeries.  He has never once had to stop and close the patient up because of liver issues.  He has never once had to revert open for any reason including liver issues.  He has never had to decline someone surgery because of an enlarged liver.  Enlarged livers are a reason to have surgery to begin with.

And it's not the entire liver that sits in front of the stomach, it is just the lower lobe of the liver.

And finally, if the liver was nicked during surgery she would not have had to have her band removed.

The OP needs to find a more experienced surgeon.

So all these people that are saying the same thing as me and what my doc said they all have inexperienced doctors ?

Everybody on here has said the same thing Bubbles that their doctors told them the same thing if the liver is to big they wont do the surgery due to safety reasons . 

Its kinda hard to imagine that all these doctors are wrong and inxperience but yours is right and has the experience ??

Sounds kinda fishy to me seems like your mexico doc is the odd one out on this one .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/27/11 2:06 am - Mexico

My doctor is typical of most.

Look at it this way, most of us have enlarged livers but just a handful of doctors are actually not completing the surgery.  Hello??

Most Active